First wave of Mac Pros begin shipping for Dec. 30 delivery

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

But but but February!

That's the second wave with all the bug fixes. 

• Reply 22 of 40
    It'd have been awesome if Apple commemorated the first batch by painting them red.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    The 6 core. I would have loved an 8 Core but I had to spend the money in 2013.

For what you are going to use it for, I think you actually got the best bang for your buck by getting the 6 core model:

http://macperformanceguide.com/MacPro2013-CPU-GPU-choice.html
  • Reply 24 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The 6 core. I would have loved an 8 Core but I had to spend the money in 2013. My last Mac Pro was an 8 core but 2008 model and I have an i7 MBPro too so this should be like a rocket from what I have ever had. My 6 TB RAID 0 is waiting to rock image

Cool!

• Reply 25 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

For what you are going to use it for, I think you actually got the best bang for your buck by getting the 6 core model:

Thanks for the great link!  Will really help when I go to order.

I want to be sure this baby will carry me more than my average year or year and a half.

• Reply 26 of 40
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    philboogie wrote: »

Back on west coast of Florida and no delivery yet so looks like I am on for tomorrow, Thanks so much, that link ... quite amazing to read. Now I just need to wait for the affordable 1TB internal SSD I can upgrade myself.
  • Reply 27 of 40

Posted a similar link in another thread.

These guys have a Mac Pro and are posting daily videos about it.

The Dell 23.8" 4K display is in the first video.  They had to do something to make the full HD video clear...  HiDPI?  Anybody played with that?

• Reply 28 of 40

Things seem to have gone quiet...  MacFormat hasn't uploaded any new videos... nobody has.  Nor any new reviews that I can find.

Guess all the early owners are too busy playing?  Don't tell me everybody is taking the holidays away from their spiffy new MacPros?

• Reply 29 of 40

Apple Store is still showing availability as February so it looks like they are past the initial order rush.

I wonder how many people waited until the wee hours of the morning to order this baby.

• Reply 30 of 40
    Things seem to have gone quiet...  MacFormat hasn't uploaded any new videos... nobody has.  Nor any new reviews that I can find.

I can't find any new reviews either.
    Guess all the early owners are too busy playing?  Don't tell me everybody is taking the holidays away from their spiffy new MacPros?

The moment you upgraded the SSD the delivery slipped into Feb. That might be the reason. DigitalClips ordered the 256GB stock version and expects it this weekend. Last seen over 12 hours ago, so I guess he is sitting behind a shiny new Mac, un-showered, un-shaved, with a bottle of scotch... 8-)
  • Reply 31 of 40
    Quote:

DigitalClips ordered the 256GB stock version and expects it this weekend. Last seen over 12 hours ago, so I guess he is sitting behind a shiny new Mac, un-showered, un-shaved, with a bottle of scotch... image

Can't wait to read his first impressions. 

Got to play with a base quad machine at my local reseller tonight.  Sadly, there wasn't much to play with as they still haven't received the data install package from Apple for display models.  So it was as any home users machine fresh out of the box.  Hopefully, Apple will finally let them install FCPX on it (the shop doesn't have FCP in its normal package install, which is decided by Apple Japan).

Awesome looking machine, though, and tiny.  They have it in the same spot where an old Pro was, behind a small partition from the entrance so when I walked in I couldn't see it. 

Wanted to ask if they needed someone to care for it for the night... 8-) 

• Reply 32 of 40
    ^ post

What I always do is open iTunes and convert songs (adding from the internet if possible if empty). To .wav, to .m4a, to anything. And back to lossless/lossy. Do a whole batch of them and see the CPU's doing their thing in Activity Monitor.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    Quote:

The moment you upgraded the SSD the delivery slipped into Feb. That might be the reason. DigitalClips ordered the 256GB stock version and expects it this weekend. Last seen over 12 hours ago, so I guess he is sitting behind a shiny new Mac, un-showered, un-shaved, with a bottle of scotch... image

I hope Digital Clips nMP arrived. On another site there are horror stories of how messed up UPS is on its deliveries, dates slipping from the end of last week to sometime this week.

I ordered the entry level nMP with 500GB storage. I slept in the 19th and didn't order until mid morning PST and the delivery was February. Out of curiosity I checked to see when local pick up would be and it showed March 6, so I'm assuming it'll ship around February 28.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Quote:

The moment you upgraded the SSD the delivery slipped into Feb. That might be the reason. DigitalClips ordered the 256GB stock version and expects it this weekend. Last seen over 12 hours ago, so I guess he is sitting behind a shiny new Mac, un-showered, un-shaved, with a bottle of scotch... image

Sighted...  post #81

• Reply 35 of 40

Sighted...  post #81

Lol. Hopping over there right now!
  • Reply 36 of 40

MacFormat has posted two more vids... one on Bootcamp and one on the 4k display.

Nothing from Digitalclips yet.  Must be having fun.

• Reply 37 of 40
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    MacFormat has posted two more vids... one on Bootcamp and one on the 4k display.

That 4th video looks a bit more like it. The D700 scored 111FPS in Cinebench R15 OpenGL. Single Titan gets 96:

http://www.c4dcafe.com/ipb/Benchmarks/cinebench.html

It's odd that the W7000 gets 115 though and doesn't say if it's two. More and more the scores for the D700 come out like W7000 rather than W9000. The Heaven test under the Mac must have been using one GPU.

The Fire Strike 3DMark test at 10,387 can be compared here:

http://www.3dmark.com/hall-of-fame-2/fire+strike+3dmark+score+performance+preset/version+1.1

The top dual GPU is the dual Titan at 24,453 and dual 780 around the same but the scores for the same setups come out across a wide range. It seems fair to say that the dual D700 is equivalent to a single Titan GPU for real-time graphics and actually costs the same. OpenCL should be higher. Naturally, new GPUs will come out and make the bundled ones look like poor value but they can just keep up with yearly refreshes.
  • Reply 38 of 40

Another first impression vid:

Just because it has a unique opening:

2013 MAC PRO UNBOXING - YouTube

• Reply 39 of 40
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

Big deal so what. Another computer that is all it is.

• Reply 40 of 40
    Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Big deal so what. Another computer that is all it is.

So don’t comment about things you don’t understand.