Apple kicks off '12 Days of Gifts' with Justin Timberlake single

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
As planned, Apple on Thursday kicked off its "12 Days of Gifts" promotion in the U.S. and other participating countries with a download of four songs from Justin Timberlake's performance at this year's iTunes Festival.

12 Days

Timberlake's free single includes four songs performed live at the 2013 iTunes Festival in London and is being offered as part of Apple's holiday giveaway promotion, which is only accessible via the 12 Days of Gifts app found in select iOS App Stores.

The "12 Days" digital content giveaway has become somewhat of a tradition for many iTunes users, though the app was previously limited to Canada and a few major European countries. For 2013, Apple has extended the promo to U.S. customers for the first time, granting them access to freebies that in the past have included movies, music, e-books, apps and more.

Earlier in December, Apple gave away Lorde's latest single "No Better" as a preview for the 12 Days of Gifts app, labeling it as a "gift to get you started."

Apple's "12 Days of Gifts" program runs from Dec. 26 through Jan. 6, with each day bringing a free download that will be available for 24 hours. Some content may not be available in all areas.

12 Days of Gifts is a free 64.7MB download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    This is really sub standard quality. I should have expected it.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Please tell me one of the single isn't [I]I'm Bringing Santa Back[/I].
  • Reply 3 of 36
    Played previews. Didn't download the full songs.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    Wow, really? You must be a lot of fun at parties.
  • Reply 5 of 36
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    This was free upon release, so thanks for the already free gift Apple.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    saarek wrote: »

What's wrong with '12 Days of Regifts'?
  • Reply 7 of 36
    Don't get greedy now. Free is free. Although if this was indeed free beforehand then it's kinda low since then Apple is using the term "gift" in a purely self-promotion, self-marketing fashion, and that would be a low-blow to loyal customers.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

You couldn't pay me 99 cents to download these tracks.

I guess that 13 year old girls with not yet fully developed breasts are probably happy about this free download.

Hopefully something better and more useful will show up in the remaining days of this giveaway.

• Reply 9 of 36
    Hoping to download a new Mac Pro...
  • Reply 10 of 36
    Only 11 more days of people bitching about free downloads...
  • Reply 11 of 36
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Hopefully something better and more useful will show up in the remaining days of this giveaway.

Practically anything will be better than these poor quality recordings.
  • Reply 12 of 36

Can also be found in OS X iTunes Store, search for "iTunes Festival"!

• Reply 13 of 36
    saarek wrote: »

Perhaps not free before in the US...as that is a first for them.
    apple ][ wrote: »
    You couldn't pay me 99 cents to download these tracks.

I guess that 13 year old girls with not yet fully developed breasts are probably happy about this free download.

Merry Christmas to you too, dr. Blank.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    I suppose it is the thought that counts. But seriously, Justin Timberlake? Great way to alienate customers who aren't children or old women.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    solipsismx wrote: »
    What's wrong with '12 Days of Regifts'?

If he can "re-gift", you can "de-gift"!
  • Reply 16 of 36
    gpdiller wrote: »
    I suppose it is the thought that counts. But seriously, Justin Timberlake? Great way to alienate customers who aren't children or old women.

What about old children?
  • Reply 17 of 36
    Disappointing first gift, didn't even download it.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Day two is a HD episode from a BBC documentry series Africa, called Kalahari.

That;s in Australia whee it is just after midnight.

The JT stuff was previously only free as a live stream in the iTunes Festival App/
  • Reply 19 of 36
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Yeah, no kidding.  I was really hoping for a free d/l of "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" trilogy, in HD.  /s

• Reply 20 of 36
    They actually make all the gifts free in the iTunes Store on the 21st December (or whenever the last day before the iTunes connect holiday is). The app merely serves as a timer-based shortcut to the items in the store. Case in point, it's only 2:30 pm (Day 1) here in the UK and the Kalahari episode, due tomorrow, is already free to download.