Apple's '12 Days of Gifts' continue with free 'Tiny Thief' iOS game [u]

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
The second day of Apple's newly-expanded "12 Days of Christmas" promotion originally made the pilot episode of popular television drama "Once Upon a Time" a free download for U.S. users, but it has since changed to the iOS game "Tiny Thief" without explanation [updated].

12 Days of Gifts

Update: Apple appears to have swapped Friday's gift at midday --?Tiny Thief, a game from Angry Birds publishers Rovio, now appears for U.S.-based users in place of "Once Upon a Time." The reason for the change is unknown, though Tiny Thief was the second day's gift for most locales outside of the U.S., which was gifted the pilot, and the U.K., which received an episode of a BBC nature series.

"Once Upon a Time" is a fantasy drama series in which viewers can "join Emma Swan, Snow White, Prince Charming, Rumplestiltskin, Hook and the Evil Queen Regina as they travel through a portal on the Jolly Roger in an effort to reach Neverland and rescue Henry." The pilot episode, originally released on iTunes in 2011, is available in both standard- and high-definition and can be downloaded until midnight tonight.

Like yesterday's offering, recordings from pop star Justin Timberlake's performance at this year's iTunes Festival in London, the "Once Upon a Time" pilot can be downloaded for free directly from iTunes. Users do not need to install the "12 Days of Gifts" app to access the content, a boon for users of older devices that do not support iOS 7, a requirement to install the app.

The "12 Days of Gifts" promotion runs from Dec. 26 to Jan. 8.

Apple's "12 Days of Gifts" app is a free, 64.7-megabyte download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    I'd rather a bag of coal! These gifts are horrible so far :-(
  • Reply 2 of 27
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    When I go to download from the app it says 24.99. What gives? I agree. I am disappointed with the gifts so far.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    It says 24.99 cuz that is the complete season. Scroll down a bit and click where it says 1. Pilot.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    @tbell

there is one free episode. You are looking at the whole series.

Oh, and in the UK we are getting 1 free episode of of the BBC documentary 'Africa'. We get episode 1 - Kalahari in HD.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,111member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheSanerOne View Post

Does there always have to be someone who complains about the free stuff?  

It's like Woody Allen's line about the two women at a resort in the Poconos:

"Gee, the food is terrible."

"Yea, and the portions are so small."

!!

I guess you really do get what you pay for!

• Reply 6 of 27
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    To each his own. On iTunes, the overwhelming majority of 6,187 reviews gave this show 5 stars.

As to the ingratitude of your comment, a bag of coal sounds as if it would fit you to a T.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    In Denmark we got a game: "Tiny Thief" - probably because we don't have TV Shows in the iTunes Store.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Spain has "Tiny Thief%u201D too, maybe its a reference to politicians here.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    I am guessing this was free anyway, so not really a great gift. Most pilots are free in the iTunes Store. A gift is a free season. An ad is a free pilot. Next.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Does anyone in the UK want to trade their day 2 gift with me? Yup, didn't think so.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    In France, we have the first episode of an animal documentary in Kalahari, Africa.
  • Reply 12 of 27

It would been better perhaps, from the customer POV, to give away an episode of a new show and not something two years old and possibly on Netflix etc. But look at it from the other side. Apple has to get the artist etc to agree to play since they are giving up money. And a free ep is a great way to try to entice new viewers. So ABC it is worth it to give up some cash.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Originally Posted by TheSanerOne View Post

Could you be any more worthless?

• Reply 14 of 27
    If they are going to have free gifts, why make them totally lame? Isn't the point to have good stuff for free? So yes, I will complain about them because so far the gifts are bad.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    I just learned about the 12 Days app and was about to install it when I learned what the first two "gifts" had been. This whole thing just turned into a big pile of NOPE.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Quote: "In Denmark we got a game: "Tiny Thief" - probably because we don't have TV Shows in the iTunes Store."

Though I am stateside, Apple must think that I'm in Denmark too. My choice is Tiny Thief, a kid's game. Maybe that's because I've never bought a TV show.

Couldn't Apple offer us something actually useful? They treat us like little twits needing to be distracted.
  • Reply 17 of 27

I also got Tiny Thief in the USA. Perhaps it is random. Both that app and the pilot episode are free for everyone (in the US store anyway). You can create an account in another store if you really like some gift in another country. I did that last year to try the 12 days app in the UK.

• Reply 18 of 27
    all I see is a stupid game called "Tiny Thief"??

EDIT: I went to iTunes on my computer and see that the pilot is indeed free if you go to Once's season 1 page.

I wonder, is this 12 days app some kind of gimmick? Every week there is something free on iTunes. :\
  • Reply 19 of 27
    I got Tiny Thief and I'm in the US. My kid's might like it and I'd never watch that TV show anyway.
  • Reply 20 of 27

It feels kinda like when you open a gift at Christmas and get a pair of plain black socks.  Yes, it's a gift but it's hard to get all that excited by it.  Ah well, there are still 10 days left.  What would really blow me away is announcing the release of Aperture 4.0 on Day 12.  I'll pay full price and consider it a true gift.  :)