Apps for your new Mac: Best email clients

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

I know right? Strange take from the author. Not sure how you could view it as a complicated program.

::shrug:: Personally, Outlook for Mac is perfect me. Other than needing a 200MB update about every other week for some reason, it runs pretty seamlessly.

I love Outlook for Mac. Unfortunately, something got corrupted which will not allow it to work (none of the Office programs) no matter how many times I uninstall and dig out all the references. Really hurts as I purchased Office for $9.99 through a company purchase on a project I contracted for :( When I get a new iMac, I'll install everything fresh and perhaps that will help. 

• Reply 22 of 49
    AirMail
  • Reply 23 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

What about a true replacement for the best e-mail client ever: Eudora?

Ooooh! Eudora! That's at least 12 years ago since I converted all my Eudora mail to the then nascent OS X Mail. The memories. 

Seriously now, as much as I would like to have an Eudora replacement (and a Superpaint and a Framemaker one), what's this about completely ignoring Airmail? See here: http://airmailapp.com.  Get on with it guys!

• Reply 24 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 65C816 View Post

Err, you *DO* realize that Outlook for Mac showed up for the first time in Office for Mac 2010 right?  How is that "traditionally"??

You do realize that the Microsoft mail client for Mac was called Outlook and came out sometime around Mac OS 8.5? When it was rewritten for OS X it gained Internet mail capability, from Outlook Express, and was renamed Entourage. And when that was rewritten for Cocoa, it was renamed back to Outlook.

The difference is solely in branding. When Word gets rewritten for Cocoa, I guarantee it's still going to be called Word.

• Reply 25 of 49
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Two new forum members registering here just to recommend Airmail in their first and only post ? And though gordon1420 had a whopping 5 posts, this one smells way too much like a shill. Wouldn't even consider clicking on any Airmail link after seeing these.
  • Reply 26 of 49
    Airmail. Changed my life. I've tried most of these clients, and Airmail is the one that wins hands down. High performance. Feels lightweight even with tens of thousands of emails. The UI is gorgeous, and highly customizable.
  • Reply 27 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

Two new forum members registering here just to recommend Airmail in their first and only post ? And though gordon1420 had a whopping 5 posts, this one smells way too much like a shill. Wouldn't even consider clicking on any Airmail link after seeing these.

That would be your loss, believe me.

I tried all the other suggestions in the main article and for my particular situation only Airmail fit the bill. About 15 email accounts, two of them POP3, the rest IMAP,  a third of them with Gmail, some with Yahoo, one with LIVE, half of them on custom servers. Over some I have personal control, the others belong to organisations I provide services to. Since Mavericks Mail.app was throwing all kinds of anomalies at me, that got me exploring the alternatives.

So far I migrated a third of those accounts away from Mail.app to Airmail (after trying the same with the suggestions in the main article, as I said already) and I am very pleased with the performance so far, planning to move the rest too. I've been holding off because I also have a big archive in Mail.app stored locally (mail going back to 1990) and I needed to wait for the import function in Airmail.

There are still some rough edges around Airmail, it's a relatively young product, but the developers seem to be eager to move it forward. The App Store version costs only $1.99. I decided to use the more advanced (but buggy) beta version which gets updated more frequently and donated $10 to the development effort. Best 10 bucks spent so far.

I'd click that link the next time I'd see it ;-)

Peace. Out.

• Reply 28 of 49
    jidojido Posts: 128member
    Sounds like I should try Airmail, but I should mention Opera mail works fine and it's free.
  • Reply 29 of 49
    aaarrrgggh wrote: »
    If you use Mavericks and gmail (or mail hosted by Google) you lose IMAP read synchronization, serious lag in getting messages, and crashing. Quick view and calendar integration were made MUCH worse, and it doesn't really handle large mailboxes well.

Before Mavericks, using gmail was a little tricky, especially things like archiving mail off.

I personally need to keep mail and attachments for 7 years, which runs about 10GB per year. 18 months or so is in my inbox, while older stuff is moved to local storage.

Needing to re-build a 5+GB mailbox is really a pain when you need to download off a bandwidth-restricted server like Gmail.

Serves you right for using gmail.
  • Reply 30 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

I think Airmail users jumped on it because it is a really nice an cheap alternative client and we are amazed that it is not on the list. It is available on the Mac App Store, so pretty safe.

But if you do not feel like trying it, just don't do it.

On my side, I am a happy Airmail user.

• Reply 31 of 49

I've been trying Unibox and I'm almost switching completely.

However, I have a question: what about Unibox's energy efficiency? I work on a MacBook and battery is important for me. I downloaded the trial version of Unibox and it seems to be VERY power hungry. In comparison, Mail app wastes almost no energy.

Take a look at this screenshot.

• Reply 32 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Bear View Post

I think Airmail users jumped on it because it is a really nice an cheap alternative client and we are amazed that it is not on the list. It is available on the Mac App Store, so pretty safe.

But if you do not feel like trying it, just don't do it.

On my side, I am a happy Airmail user.

Glad you like it Mac Bear,  But sorry, no way ebrent and voodoofishter are enthusiastic users.  The person writing them needs to learn how to write shilling posts that don't sound like them.  I prefer apps that speak for themselves.  I won't make any judgment about anyone with more than one post with contributions about other subjects.  

• Reply 33 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by oriste View Post

That would be your loss, believe me.

I tried all the other suggestions in the main article and for my particular situation only Airmail fit the bill. About 15 email accounts, two of them POP3, the rest IMAP,  a third of them with Gmail, some with Yahoo, one with LIVE, half of them on custom servers. Over some I have personal control, the others belong to organisations I provide services to. Since Mavericks Mail.app was throwing all kinds of anomalies at me, that got me exploring the alternatives.

So far I migrated a third of those accounts away from Mail.app to Airmail (after trying the same with the suggestions in the main article, as I said already) and I am very pleased with the performance so far, planning to move the rest too. I've been holding off because I also have a big archive in Mail.app stored locally (mail going back to 1990) and I needed to wait for the import function in Airmail.

There are still some rough edges around Airmail, it's a relatively young product, but the developers seem to be eager to move it forward. The App Store version costs only $1.99. I decided to use the more advanced (but buggy) beta version which gets updated more frequently and donated $10 to the development effort. Best 10 bucks spent so far.

I'd click that link the next time I'd see it ;-)

Peace. Out.

OK, oriste and Mac Bear, fair enough  :  )  

• Reply 34 of 49

The last time I tried Apple Mail client (under 10.6.x), you could only have one username set up ... which is hopeless if you are running different businesses etc (e.g. sales, support, Home, Work whatever), and need multiple usernames. Perhaps that is something that has changed in the current Mail app in Mavericks??

• Reply 35 of 49
    Postbox walks, talks and smells like a cheap Thunderbird fork. Most of the dialog boxes seem to practically identical as well. It's obvious someone is trying to make money off Thunderbird code.
  • Reply 36 of 49
    Probably missed the best of Mac OS email clients, Airmail. Have used Mailplane from beta but switched to Airmail two months ago. Haven't looked back.
  • Reply 37 of 49
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ursadorable View Post

Postbox walks, talks and smells like a cheap Thunderbird fork. Most of the dialog boxes seem to practically identical as well. It's obvious someone is trying to make money off Thunderbird code.

It is amazing that there are people who seem not to know this. If you have Thunderbird setup on your system, then install Postbox. It will transparently inherit your Thunderbird settings. It was astonishing to read the post above that claimed that Postbox is like an enhanced version of Mail. More power to those for whom Postbox is worth the fee. However, I have never seen the value that Postbox adds to Thunderbird.

• Reply 38 of 49
    Call me a dinosaur, but I still use Eudora, which at this point is basically a modified version of Thunderbird with the basic user interface and some of the features of the older Eudora grafted on. I like its feature set and simplicity, and its excellent, flexible handling of multiple email accounts.
  • Reply 39 of 49
    well sorry but an email app comparison without Airmail isn't complete imo.
  • Reply 40 of 49
    Originally Posted by finalcut View Post

well sorry but an email app comparison without Airmail isn't complete imo.

Yeah, this is getting to sound like spam to me.