HTC details how carriers, chipset makers stall & block Android OS updates

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    The moral of this story is to buy a Motorola product if you prefer the freedom of Android and want updates delivered quickly.

Or a Nexus.
  • Reply 22 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Makes me love my iPhone more everyday. Could you image if iOS updates had to get carrier approval before being released.

And making love to an iPhone is so much more satifying than some crappy Android trash phone!

• Reply 23 of 55
    xpadxpad Posts: 46member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bradipao View Post

Im my opinion, if you want to compare quality of support in a similar scenario, you should compare "iOS devices support" with "Nexus devices support".

Nope. You can't just cherry pick which Android devices you want to compare with all iOS devices in order to win some arbitrary fanboy argument.

If fandroids are going to go around spouting "market share", then you have to take the good with the bad. Otherwise, if we're only supposed to compare iPhones and Nexuses, then that must carry over to market share as well, should it not?

But, really, neither makes sense when comparing iOS and Android. It only makes sense to compare all iOS devices and all Android devices (though a distinction between AOSP and subsequent forks, and true Android does make sense).

There are more Android devices than iOS devices: TRUE

iOS devices are more quickly updated than Android devices, in aggregate: TRUE

No need for cherry picking or distorting reality, they are simply two true facts. They are reality and neither one of those facts change whether you enjoy your specific phone or not.

Only fanboys care more about how they can parse an argument to describe reality than what is actually real. Limiting a discussion to just Nexus devices doesn't magically make Android better. It just ignores inconvenient aspects of what is true.

• Reply 24 of 55

Yet carriers seem to love Android . . .    

• Reply 25 of 55
    xpad wrote: »
    Nope. You can't just cherry pick which Android devices you want to compare with all iOS devices in order to win some arbitrary fanboy argument.

If fandroids are going to go around spouting "market share", then you have to take the good with the bad. Otherwise, if we're only supposed to compare iPhones and Nexuses, then that must carry over to market share as well, should it not?

But, really, neither makes sense when comparing iOS and Android. It only makes sense to compare all iOS devices and all Android devices (though a distinction between AOSP and subsequent forks, and true Android does make sense).

There are more Android devices than iOS devices: TRUE
    iOS devices are more quickly updated than Android devices, in aggregate: TRUE

No need for cherry picking or distorting reality, they are simply two true facts. They are reality and neither one of those facts change whether you enjoy your specific phone or not.

Only fanboys care more about how they can parse an argument to describe reality than what is actually real. Limiting a discussion to just Nexus devices doesn't magically make Android better. It just ignores inconvenient aspects of what is true.

What is true is that the vast majority of people don't really care. Most people choose a phone by the look and features that they care about and could give 2 craps about timely updates.
  • Reply 26 of 55
    quadra 610 wrote: »

Of course they do. They’re going to prefer anyone that gives them some type of control.
  • Reply 27 of 55
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Google is likely working on a true mobile OS, unlike Android, that does not piggyback on Linux. It'll probably run all current apps in a virtualization mode similar to when OS9 ran on OSX, or how Android runs on top of Linux.

It's inevitable, it's also the only way they will be able to clean up their act.

Observation:

Android's Problem is the implementation of java, rather than going the iOS and WP route in bringing over the standard C languages(Even though Android has components written in C/C++) and Google's Apathy, not Linux. Open source is not the magical "I can't be held responsible for quality control" card Google seems to think it is.

OEM's like Samsung and HTC contributing little to no code and others such as Qualcomm and Imagination technologies being pissy with their documentation doesn't help(See: Nexus one, 4 and 7(2013) image issues ). Needless to say Android is pretty awful once you get past the top layers of the system. Only now it's become overtly obvious to me.

Also, your observations confuse me. Unless it's been edited since you posted this, the very first half of the first sentence of that page says:

"Android is an operating system based on the Linux kernel" even the kernel type mentions that it's modified linux.

• Reply 28 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Bottom line is companies like Google, Samsung, LG, ect don't give a shet about the customer experience.  All they care about is you buy their phones and see their ads.  After that you are on your own.  Personally I've been on an Android phone and tablet for 2 years.  This Oct I finally made the switch to iOS (5S/iPadAir/AppleTV) and the difference is night and day.

While I agree mostly with what you are saying, Apple should also partially be on that list too. They're a business out to make money just as much as the other companies... I'm sure they don't want people sitting on their phones for 4-5 years either.

• Reply 29 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

What is true is that the vast majority of people don't really care. Most people choose a phone by the look and features that they care about and could give 2 craps about timely updates.

Maybe, maybe not. I don't know.

What I do know is that your response is a fanboy knee-jerk reaction. In light of one fact, a fanboy feels compelled to redirect it to something else.

The facts I listed are true. They are up to each person to consider for themselves. If I had to guess, though, I'd guess that most people would prefer timely updates. With iOS 7, most iPhone and iPad users I know (most are not tech savvy) knew about it and upgraded. I know very few people with Android who even know that Kit Kat is something to do with Android.

There may very well be some selection bias going on, but even accounting for that, I think it's fair to say that most Android users aren't very knowledgable on Android versions.

What that all means, I can't say. And to a certain extent, it doesn't mean anything much beyond what it means to each person involved. But you can't just ignore it because it could be taken to imply something negative about one platform or another.

• Reply 30 of 55
    dasanman69 wrote: »

Of course they do. They’re going to prefer anyone that gives them some type of control.
    The carriers have made a stick for their own back. They fought like cat and dogs to have the iPhone and acceded all control to Apple to have it by the time they learnt their mistake it was too late. Apple had all the aces so when Google came along with android and said you can do what you like with only a few restrictions eg play store, maps, ads etc they jumped on the band wagon. For them it was the good old days bundling in their crap apps and gouging the Max revenue out of their customers and deciding if they want to allow their customers to upgrade the os or buy a new phone.
  • Reply 31 of 55
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Observation:

Appleinsider, Google has managed to remove from Wikipedia references to the fact that the first Android demo looked liked BB and instead implied that Android, as it's known today, was developed in 2005. They also removed references to the fact that Android is a piggyback OS, much like Flash to a web-browser. The whole Wikipedia Android page reads like a commercial of heroism and conquest. Who has the Wiki credentials and good English to set some facts straight?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)

It is a weak point of the whole Wikipedia setup. Subjects like these are prone to be hijacked by companies as a part of their marketing (pro or con) and given Samsung's unethical history in social media (as I recall) it will be problematic to fight this.

Between which page releases were these edits made?

• Reply 32 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

How else would Verizon push their paid VZ Navigator mapping app? They don't get to even bundle VZ navigator with iPhones, let alone set it as the default mapping app like on their Android devices to make a quick buck from uninformed customers. I'm sure the carriers would love Android even more if they could remove the ability to change default apps.

• Reply 33 of 55
    xpad wrote: »
    Maybe, maybe not. I don't know.

What I do know is that your response is a fanboy knee-jerk reaction. In light of one fact, a fanboy feels compelled to redirect it to something else.

The facts I listed are true. They are up to each person to consider for themselves. If I had to guess, though, I'd guess that most people would prefer timely updates. With iOS 7, most iPhone and iPad users I know (most are not tech savvy) knew about it and upgraded. I know very few people with Android who even know that Kit Kat is something to do with Android.

There may very well be some selection bias going on, but even accounting for that, I think it's fair to say that most Android users aren't very knowledgable on Android versions.

What that all means, I can't say. And to a certain extent, it doesn't mean anything much beyond what it means to each person involved. But you can't just ignore it because it could be taken to imply something negative about one platform or another.

The real truth is not a knee jerk reaction nor is it fan boyism. The reason most people knew about iOS 7 is because it was all over the media and the update got pushed onto the device. How many would update if they had to read about it on a tech blog and then actively seek the update?
  • Reply 34 of 55
    Because of the control they have over it. They can shovel cheap, non-upgradable crap onto the marketplace pretty much forcing 2 year upgrade cycles. Anti-consumer. Of couse they love it.
  • Reply 35 of 55
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    The real truth is not a knee jerk reaction nor is it fan boyism. The reason most people knew about iOS 7 is because it was all over the media and the update got pushed onto the device. How many would update if they had to read about it on a tech blog and then actively seek the update?
    Why should users have to go through all that? The fact that you just beautifully underscored is that Apple makes it easy. Android users are left to the whims of the carriers.
  • Reply 36 of 55
    denobin wrote: »
    Why should users have to go through all that? The fact that you just beautifully underscored is that Apple makes it easy. Android users are left to the whims of the carriers.

Of they shouldn't and it's great that they don't but if left to fend for themselves most would not update nor even know a update exists.
  • Reply 37 of 55
    Google is likely working on a true mobile OS, unlike Android, that does not piggyback on Linux. It'll probably run all current apps in a virtualization mode similar to when OS9 ran on OSX, or how Android runs on top of Linux.

It's inevitable, it's also the only way they will be able to clean up their act.

Observation:
    Appleinsider, Google has managed to remove from Wikipedia references to the fact that the first Android demo looked liked BB and instead implied that Android, as it's known today, was developed in 2005. They also removed references to the fact that Android is a piggyback OS, much like Flash to a web-browser. The whole Wikipedia Android page reads like a commercial of heroism and conquest. Who has the Wiki credentials and good English to set some facts straight?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)

This is very serious , We cannot let Google to wrong the fact of history!
  • Reply 38 of 55
    marsk wrote: »
    This is very serious , We cannot let Google to wrong the fact of history!

Like they're the first ones to alter recorded history to their benefit.
  • Reply 39 of 55
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Like they're the first ones to alter recorded history to their benefit.

Yeah, they’re not first. That makes it okay¡

• Reply 40 of 55
    Yeah, they’re not first. That makes it okay¡

Of course it doesn't make it okay. Just funny how people act flabbergasted.