HTC details how carriers, chipset makers stall & block Android OS updates

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Actually Chinese phone makers like 'who are we' also ship the latest 'ice cream sandwich kit cat whatever childish name you can think of'.
    And that may be the best option to buy an android phone with the added bonus of being an almost exact clone of the iPhone 5(s).
  • Reply 42 of 55
    xpadxpad Posts: 46member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The real truth is not a knee jerk reaction nor is it fan boyism. The reason most people knew about iOS 7 is because it was all over the media and the update got pushed onto the device. How many would update if they had to read about it on a tech blog and then actively seek the update?

No, the "knee-jerk" part of it is whenever a fanboy is presented with some distressing facts (facts which should not be distressing, they just describe reality, but to the fanboy they are distressing), the fanboy will immediately try to come up with some reason to justify the fact.

Now, to be fair, a non-fanboy might do the same. But the difference is that the fanboy will completely ignore the original fact.

In other words, it's fair to try to make the point that most people don't care, but you can't deny the truths I listed, which are (to recap):

There are more Android devices than iOS devices: TRUE

iOS devices are more quickly updated than Android devices, in aggregate: TRUE

Now, you might have another truth, that people don't care. The truths I listed above are verifiable by simple numbers that are available to everyone. We all know these are true.

Your "fact" is nowhere near as solid, it may or may not be true, and the meaning behind it is also more complex. After all, if people care more about iOS updates because they've heard about them, wouldn't the same follow for Android users if people actually heard about them as well? So does that mean that people really do care, when they are informed, and the only reason Android users are content is because they are kept ignorant?

I don't know. And neither do you. And whatever is true on that, it does not change the truth of the two statements I made above on whit.

So, please, don't be a fanboy. If you have an Android phone, those truths are still true whether you acknowledge them or not. Your phone is still awesome for you either way. Nothing changes, other than that we don't have to argue over whether something that is so obviously true is true or not.

• Reply 43 of 55
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    xpad wrote: »
    No, the "knee-jerk" part of it is whenever a fanboy is presented with some distressing facts (facts which should not be distressing, they just describe reality, but to the fanboy they are distressing), the fanboy will immediately try to come up with some reason to justify the fact.

Now, to be fair, a non-fanboy might do the same. But the difference is that the fanboy will completely ignore the original fact.

In other words, it's fair to try to make the point that most people don't care, but you can't deny the truths I listed, which are (to recap):

There are more Android devices than iOS devices: TRUE

iOS devices are more quickly updated than Android devices, in aggregate: TRUE

Now, you might have another truth, that people don't care. The truths I listed above are verifiable by simple numbers that are available to everyone. We all know these are true.

Your "fact" is nowhere near as solid, it may or may not be true, and the meaning behind it is also more complex. After all, if people care more about iOS updates because they've heard about them, wouldn't the same follow for Android users if people actually heard about them as well? So does that mean that people really do care, when they are informed, and the only reason Android users are content is because they are kept ignorant?

I don't know. And neither do you. And whatever is true on that, it does not change the truth of the two statements I made above on whit.

So, please, don't be a fanboy. If you have an Android phone, those truths are still true whether you acknowledge them or not. Your phone is still awesome for you either way. Nothing changes, other than that we don't have to argue over whether something that is so obviously true is true or not.

I'm not arguing whether they're true or not I'm arguing whether they matter to most people and the answer is no. Yes there are more Android phones than iPhones, but that truth matters little since it's well documented the iOS users do more, use more and spend more. Now any Androider concerned with timely updates gets themselves a Nexus, the others get mesmerized by the features their device of choice have. That's logic based on concrete sales numbers. I think at this point you and I should just agree to disagree.
  • Reply 44 of 55
    Quote:

I'm not arguing whether they're true or not I'm arguing whether they matter to most people and the answer is no.

You've not demonstrated this. Your best argument for that is that if people are ignorant of something, they don't care about that thing they don't even know about.

That's not a great revelation.

What's would be more interesting would be how people feel about something once they are aware of it.

Quote:

Yes there are more Android phones than iPhones, but that truth matters little since it's well documented the iOS users do more, use more and spend more. Now any Androider concerned with timely updates gets themselves a Nexus, the others get mesmerized by the features their device of choice have. That's logic based on concrete sales numbers. I think at this point you and I should just agree to disagree.

No, it's not logic based on sales numbers. As you, yourself pointed out, most Android users don't even know about updates. They don't know that Nexuses are better for getting updates, so the fact that they don't buy Nexuses does not logically imply that they are specifically not choosing an updatable phone.

It also doesn't logically follow that that means they don't want updates. There are other factors in play. Even if they knew about the updates, they may prefer other things more.

But bringing up such a spurious argument is suspect to begin with. Why are you so intent on trying to dismiss the rather fantastic feature of the iOS ecosystem in that updates are more broadly available?

It's truly confounding that someone could argue, with a straight face, that this isn't a good thing.

• Reply 45 of 55
    It's truly confounding that someone could argue, with a straight face, that this isn't a good thing.

What constitutes good or bad? How many times has a supposedly good update do more bad than good? How many iOS devices could not get the update? Are those devices now bad because they're on iOS 6? To quote Bill Murray in Meatballs "it just doesn't matter"
  • Reply 46 of 55
    Quote:

What constitutes good or bad? How many times has a supposedly good update do more bad than good? How many iOS devices could not get the update? Are those devices now bad because they're on iOS 6? To quote Bill Murray in Meatballs "it just doesn't matter"

I do hope you aren't going to try to argue that updates aren't just "not good", but are now actually a bad thing.

There are people who don't care about updates, even if you tell them. There are people who do care about updates. There are people who actively dislike updates.

It's up to each of us to decide where we sit on that spectrum. But the absolute fact that iOS devices are better on getting updates than Android devices speaks to that preference.

Another fanboy tactic is to focus solely on one type of person, or completely dismiss a type of person, in order to bolster or dismiss an objective fact.

Someone brings up feature "X", and the fanboy replies:

"X doesn't matter, because some people don't care about X", or "X is the most important thing ever, because some people care about X".

All I'm saying is that X is true. It's up to you and each person to decide what that means to them, but acting like something generally regarded as good (timely updates) is bad takes the cake.

• Reply 47 of 55
    I do hope you aren't going to try to argue that updates aren't just "not good", but are now actually a bad thing.

There are people who don't care about updates, even if you tell them. There are people who do care about updates. There are people who actively dislike updates.

It's up to each of us to decide where we sit on that spectrum. But the absolute fact that iOS devices are better on getting updates than Android devices speaks to that preference.

Another fanboy tactic is to focus solely on one type of person, or completely dismiss a type of person, in order to bolster or dismiss an objective fact.

Someone brings up feature "X", and the fanboy replies:

"X doesn't matter, because some people don't care about X", or "X is the most important thing ever, because some people care about X".

All I'm saying is that X is true. It's up to you and each person to decide what that means to them, but acting like something generally regarded as good (timely updates) is bad takes the cake.

Nope just stating the fact that at times something seemingly good can in fact turn out bad.
  • Reply 48 of 55
    Quote:

Nope just stating the fact that at times something seemingly good can in fact turn out bad.

Of course. But that's meaningless as it applies to everything, so it doesn't really change anything at all. Even something like winning a million dollars is sometimes bad. But that's not an argument against winning a million dollars.

Trying to negate or dismiss the beneficial qualities of something you see as the "competition" is a fanboy action.

What matters is whether it's seen as generally good or generally bad by any person in particular. As you are trying to dismiss timely updates as a good thing, perhaps you could clarify your own position. Do you generally prefer timely updates or would you prefer a system that does not receive timely updates?

• Reply 49 of 55
    Of course. But that's meaningless as it applies to everything, so it doesn't really change anything at all. Even something like winning a million dollars is sometimes bad. But that's not an argument against winning a million dollars.

Trying to negate or dismiss the beneficial qualities of something you see as the "competition" is a fanboy action.

What matters is whether it's seen as generally good or generally bad by any person in particular. As you are trying to dismiss timely updates as a good thing, perhaps you could clarify your own position. Do you generally prefer timely updates or would you prefer a system that does not receive timely updates?

I prefer timely updates, I do also prefer curvy brunettes but that doesn't mean I think slim blondes are a bad thing.
  • Reply 50 of 55
    Quote:

I prefer timely updates, I do also prefer curvy brunettes but that doesn't mean I think slim blondes are a bad thing.

More fanboy deflecting of the question after the fact.

You are a dishonest person.

• Reply 51 of 55
    More fanboy deflecting of the question after the fact.

You are a dishonest person.

I answered your question, and we're all dishonest.
  • Reply 52 of 55
    Quote:

I answered your question, and we're all dishonest.

Some notably more so than others.

The fact that you keep taking one truth, and trying to spin it afterwards is extremely dishonest. We are done.

• Reply 53 of 55
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:

The real truth is not a knee jerk reaction nor is it fan boyism. The reason most people knew about iOS 7 is because it was all over the media and the update got pushed onto the device. How many would update if they had to read about it on a tech blog and then actively seek the update?

Like you said it gets pushed to the device. They are informed by the company that makes the OS immediately when it is available. Your argument is that most people don't update or care.

• Reply 54 of 55
    splif wrote: »
    Like you said it gets pushed to the device. They are informed by the company that makes the OS immediately when it is available. Your argument is that most people don't update or care.

No. My argument is that if left to fend for themselves most people wouldn't update. Before Apple pushed the updates I'd see people one and even 2 updates behind.