Nokia pulls Here Maps from App Store, claims Apple's iOS 7 harms user experience

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by greybeard View Post

I installed "Here Maps" some while ago, just to see what it is and how it works. I was really disappointed, it didn't do its job at all. So I think it is was not Apple's iOS fault, it was absolutely pointless app. To be honest I didn't expect such a rubbish form Nokia...

I trashed Nokia Here Maps before iOS7, it was not very good.

Google Maps  has so many map route and address errors I'd trash it too, but I need it's Street View.

• Reply 42 of 52

Never heard of that app until it was pulled - that shows how "important" it was.

• Reply 43 of 52
    The underlying map data is based on NAVTEQ and a whole bunch of smaller mapping companies bought and absorbed by Nokia to improve it, exactly as Apple has been doing with their Maps app.
    Garmin and Amazon use NAVTEQ and they are heavy hitters in terms of navigation useage and need for accuracy. I cannot comment on the HERE app as I can't stand Nokia's feeble attempts at software, but as I said before, the underlying map data is world class.
    Given the recent mismanagement of Nokia I would guess that updating their iOS app was not high on their list of priorities.

If Apple were able to somehow acquire NAVTEQ, then Apple Maps (which I do really like) would crush Google Maps into the ground very quickly. Can't see it happening given the current NokiaSoft managment structure though.
  • Reply 44 of 52
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    jameskatt2 wrote: »
    Nokia can't do software. Simple. This is why their smartphone business died.

While I might have agreed with you in the past, their Windows Phone software has been quite good, but regarding your other comment, you have got yourself confused between software development and poor management
  • Reply 45 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

Nokia can't do software. Simple. This is why their smartphone business died.

I haven't tried Here on ios7 but (IMO) Here on WP is better than both Google maps on Android and Apple maps on iOS.

As a Londoner I particularly like the internal Tube station layouts.

That said, the default mapping on any OS should be the best for that OS given app integration and permissions.

• Reply 46 of 52

What's the name of your music app?

• Reply 47 of 52

Sorry for the double post, was trying to reply to an earlier comment....

As a WP8 (Lumia 1020) user and an iPad user, I completely agree that the user experience is not the same on iOS7. And I completely agree this is Nokia's fault. They do know how to write software, and for whatever reason, just didn't follow up with iOS7. The map data, as mentioned before, is very accurate, and having recently retired from the US Navy, never had a problem when I was overseas with the map data on both devices.

Not to take away from the software writer jkichline , Nokia is a company with resources (i.e. larger budget). They have a software development department, bottom line is that they just did not update the app.

• Reply 48 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by vincent.pendleton View Post

Sorry for the double post, was trying to reply to an earlier comment....

As a WP8 (Lumia 1020) user and an iPad user, I completely agree that the user experience is not the same on iOS7. And I completely agree this is Nokia's fault. They do know how to write software, and for whatever reason, just didn't follow up with iOS7. The map data, as mentioned before, is very accurate, and having recently retired from the US Navy, never had a problem when I was overseas with the map data on both devices.

Not to take away from the software writer jkichline , Nokia is a company with resources (i.e. larger budget). They have a software development department, bottom line is that they just did not update the app.

I whole heartedly agree with the sentiment of your post. The suggestions that Nokia don't know how to "write software" are puerile drivel.

I am happy to believe those that say that the IOS app was little more than a wrapper for the web version. This suggests a half hearted/arsed attempt but it in no way follows that they don't have the ability to write pretty bloody good software when they want to.

<puts on tin foil hat>
  • Reply 49 of 52
  • Reply 50 of 52

Too bad for Windows phone users. I used it for less than one day on iOS. It was laughably bad.
  • Reply 51 of 52
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Too bad for Windows phone users. I used it for less than one day on iOS. It was laughably bad.

There is nothing wrong with the WP version, don't compare their crap iOS one with it
  • Reply 52 of 52
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Nokia's representative did not elaborate on exactly what changes the Scandinavian company's maps unit disagreed with.
    While it shares some culture, and a part of the country is on the peninsula, Finland generally isn't considered to be a Scandinavian country in the modern sense. Denmark, Sweden and Norway are the Scandinavians. "Nordic" would be a better word if you need an adjective.