iCal progress

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Why is iCal still such an incredible POS after all this time?

It's still super-slow even by Apple's standards. It still has glaring usability bugs. It's still unresponsive to user input. And finally it still has mindboggling usability limitations.

Apple what on Earth are you waiting for to fix this utter piece of garbage?!?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    You have

<a href="http://www.apple.com/ical/download/index.html"; target="_blank"></a>

?

Click on the image to download.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    cygsidcygsid Posts: 210member
    yes.. and it did jacksh*t to improve the situation. A few minor "optimizations" here and there and that's about it.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    What computer are you using? Window resizing is finally decent on my PBG4 12". However it's still slower than resizing any other apps' windows. I have high hopes for iCal 2.0.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    luigiluigi Posts: 34member
    I agree. iCal sucks major, but it is much better now than its initial release. Prior to this release, iCal was completely unusable on my system. Launch times 30secs +. 5-10 seconds for screen updates. Now I use it regularly although with alot of frustrations. I too have high hopes for the next release.

iBook 500 dual USB, OS X 10.2.4
  • Reply 5 of 10
    cygsidcygsid Posts: 210member
    I too use it regularly, which is what makes all the bugs, glitches, slowdowns so irritating.. I guess either really few people use it as their main calendar app, or we just cut Apple way too much slack..
  • Reply 6 of 10
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Well it is free, and look how long it took the other Apps to get good. iCal 2.0 will rock for sure. I just hope it comes out soon, like in the next few weeks, but I bet i'll come out for MWNY.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    From the Cocoa point of view iCal has a very complicated UI (too many NSCell subclasses, I suppose). It has a lot to redraw with live window resizing and, I suspect, for this reason it still has much of debug code and even more room for optimization.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    iCal 1.0 was absolutely unusable for me: redraws took several lifetimes, and it was actually quicker to enter reminders in my mobile phone than to try and do it in iCal.

1.0.2 is a dream by comparison: I'm hoping we see a similar speedboost to iMovie 3.0.2 sooner rather than later...
  • Reply 9 of 10
    well from the sound of some of the complaints here, some of the peeps in this thread will probably call me crazy for defending this app, but I think iCal is the berries.

It runs fast on my qs867. opens in 2 bounces everytime,and its interface is so easy for me work with.

Window resizing is just a little laggy, about like resizing was for everything before Jaguar.

All in all though I give it high marks, and it will only get better with future releases.

......."MFer"puts on flame-proof suit
  • Reply 10 of 10
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    I use it a lot, its great for making calenders for people I need to have stuff done. heh I think it runs just fine on my powerbook 1ghz.