NPD: Chromebook sales outperform MacBooks in commercial sector as iPad loses ground

Comments

• Reply 61 of 208
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ExceptionHandler View Post

I've only seen 2 chromebooks out and about. One was at my work place in IT where they were testing/doing a trial with it to see if it was with it. It was discarded after a week or so and business continued as usual. The other is my niece's. The high school she goes to provided it to her. She only uses it when she has to (which is for not very much). She says it is wretched, hard to use device and a waste of money. She does all her work on a MacBook Air and an ipad her parents provided for her.

Interesting, but

1. I assume your niece's chrome book is not a Pixel but some $200 piece of junk (since it is supplied by the school).

2. Though I wish they could, my guess is that most people cannot afford a MacBook Air and an iPad for their high school -age progeny.

• Reply 62 of 208
    The Chromebook is a netbook and should be counted in that category. I guess it's good for those whom it suits. I know people who have given up their desktop computers in favor of iPads, which I see everywhere. I've yet to see one Chromebook outside of a store, nor have I seen one person outside myself curiously looking at one. If it suits you then buy one. I can't do high-end audio on it so it is useless to me.
  • Reply 63 of 208
    I'm not buying any of this. I've never even seen one (Chromebook) in use, corporate, personal, anywhere. I just question where these numbers are coming from. Somebody that wants to see Apple stock dip again no doubt.
  • Reply 64 of 208
    marubeni wrote: »
    Interesting, but

1. I assume your niece's chrome book is not a Pixel but some $200 piece of junk (since it is supplied by the school).
    2. Though I wish they could, my guess is that most people cannot afford a MacBook Air and an iPad for their high school -age progeny.

1. Yes. That is the case.
    2. I am aware of this. My aunt and uncle are very well off (high 6 digit income).
  • Reply 65 of 208
    1. Yes. That is the case.
    2. I am aware of this. My aunt and uncle are very well off (high 6 digit income).
    That said my wife taught at a high school that had a program that gives each student an ipad to keep throughout their years there. They also get to take it with them after they graduate. It's a private school though and it's included in tuition. They've done this for 3 years now with good success. The school as a result is able to have a smaller student to PC ratio and overall has reduced costs.
  • Reply 66 of 208
    I doubt these stats are talking specifically about the pricey Chromebook Pixel. There's a lot of cheaply built Chromebooks out there.
  • Reply 67 of 208

I remember when the first iPhone was introduced and Steve Jobs wanted it to run web apps and everyone said it was a horrible idea.  So Apple opened up and allowed native apps and the iPhone ecosystem was born.  So now, suddenly everyone wants Chromebooks with web apps?  I'm fairly certain people are buying Chromebooks for their low price and not much else.  I'm sure Chromebooks have a good purpose if that's all you need but I find it hard to believe that web apps on Chromebooks are going to have huge appeal unless the computer industry has changed drastically.  Although I'm connected 24/7 to the internet I'd still prefer my native apps to get stuff done if my internet connection somehow does get severed as unlikely as that may be.  I can easily afford more than a Chromebook so I have no need to ever get such a low-end computing solution.  I certainly do see schools purchasing them because they're really cheap devices and they can get more computers and stay within their limited budgets.

• Reply 68 of 208
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

I remember when the first iPhone was introduced and Steve Jobs wanted it to run web apps and everyone said it was a horrible idea.  So Apple opened up and allowed native apps and the iPhone ecosystem was born.  So now, suddenly everyone wants Chromebooks with web apps?  I'm fairly certain people are buying Chromebooks for their low price and not much else.  I'm sure Chromebooks have a good purpose if that's all you need but I find it hard to believe that web apps on Chromebooks are going to have huge appeal unless the computer industry has changed drastically.  Although I'm connected 24/7 to the internet I'd still prefer my native apps to get stuff done if my internet connection somehow does get severed as unlikely as that may be.  I can easily afford more than a Chromebook so I have no need to ever get such a low-end computing solution.  I certainly do see schools purchasing them because they're really cheap devices and they can get more computers and stay within their limited budgets.

Notice that there is another huge benefit if you are running a school: you control EXACTLY what is installed on the machine. 

• Reply 69 of 208
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Gramze View Post

I doubt these stats are talking specifically about the pricey Chromebook Pixel. There's a lot of cheaply built Chromebooks out there.

Of course. The only point is that any blanket statement about chrome books is likely to be false, so there has to be some nuance to the discussion (fat chance, and yet one must try...)

• Reply 70 of 208
    I'll echo what the others are saying. These numbers are very odd. It's not that I've seen only a few, I haven't seen even one. Where are they? Maybe Google has tens of thousands of them running as bots in a large building in Silicon Valley.
  • Reply 71 of 208
    neutrino23 wrote: »
    I'll echo what the others are saying. These numbers are very odd. It's not that I've seen only a few, I haven't seen even one. Where are they? Maybe Google has tens of thousands of them running as bots in a large building in Silicon Valley.

If I read it correctly NPD says these are actual device sales so it can't be like the suggestion that Android tablet numbers being propped up flash drive installations for TV adapter.

PS: I wonder if that's where Google got the idea for Chromecast.
  • Reply 72 of 208
    captbilly wrote: »
    Here's the deal with Chromebooks: If you use the computer for web surfing, email, spreadsheets, word processing, social media, media viewing, or the things that mobile computers are used for 99% of the time, a Chromebook is just fine. If you need to run a specific piece of software that requires a windows or OSx computer, then you need a Windows or OSx computer.

My son had been pushing me to get a Chromebook Pixel for months, but I kept saying that I needed a computer that could run Windows apps. Finally he talked my wife into getting me the Chromebook Pixel for my birthday, and I have been using it daily since then. In the end I haven't yet found a legitimate case where I couldn't do what I wanted to do with the Chromebook. There is software that I don't run on my notebook, like PCB design or solidworks, but I wouldn't run that on a small notebook even if it was running Windows. In addition, just like a MAC, you can run windows or Linux on a Chromebook (at least on the Pixel), so you can run all Windows or Linux software.

As a sidenote; The Chromebook Pixel has the highest resolution display available on a notebook anywhere close to it's size (2560 x 1600), a touchscreen, and the best build quality I have ever seen on any notebook (including my family's several new Macbooks).

Put windows on it ;)
  • Reply 73 of 208
    I did not realize that you could run windows on a pixel, and as for linux, I had read (admittedly, about a year ago) that linux did not support the high res display -- has this changed now?

At my office we have several Chromebooks running Linux, including 2 Pixels. You can definitely run Windows on a Pixel since it is using an I5 processor, I am not sure about some of the low end Chromebooks since they may be using and ARM processor (I do not know for sure). So far I have not had the need to run windows on my Pixel since there's apps available to do everything I have wanted to do on the Pixel. Just as my son had predicted, there just isn't much that people do with a notebook that you can't do on a good Chromebook.
  • Reply 74 of 208
    Put windows on it ;)

Sacrilege!
  • Reply 75 of 208
    Originally Posted by captbilly View Post

Sacrilege!

At least that would let it do something.

• Reply 76 of 208

Chromebook?!  I'd rather have a Raspberry-Pi...at least I could do something interesting with it.  

• Reply 77 of 208

This is idiotic.  MacBooks (and even Windows notebooks) are computers and Chromebooks are dumb terminals.

I'd like to see the profits generated by each platform.  My guess is that Chromebooks are sold at a loss to lock in the consumers to a life of "Scroogling."  This scam was tried in the 90's by eMachines and ended in failure.

• Reply 78 of 208
    sog35 wrote: »
    My iPhone(s) function perfectly well as hotspots in the US. Have the greedy carriers been neutralized?

If you are using AT&T or Verizon you will get charged a fee for hotspoting. Tmobile allows 2gb of hotspoting with their unlimited plan

I was paying $25/month for AT&T 2GB data on my iPhone 5.

For only $25 more per month I get 5GB and tethering thrown in no extra charge.

It made more sense to upgrade my iPhone data plan and buy the wifi iPad mini retina.

Now my wife and I can use our MBPs and iPads on the road. The tethering software is actually pretty cool and has kept me going more than once when Comcast wasn't so comcastic.

With the 5GB plan there's no tethering surcharge. My wife has a grandfathered unlimited data (no tethering) on her iPhone so we're all set.
  • Reply 79 of 208
    captbilly wrote: »
    I did not realize that you could run windows on a pixel, and as for linux, I had read (admittedly, about a year ago) that linux did not support the high res display -- has this changed now?

At my office we have several Chromebooks running Linux, including 2 Pixels. You can definitely run Windows on a Pixel since it is using an I5 processor, I am not sure about some of the low end Chromebooks since they may be using and ARM processor (I do not know for sure). So far I have not had the need to run windows on my Pixel since there's apps available to do everything I have wanted to do on the Pixel. Just as my son had predicted, there just isn't much that people do with a notebook that you can't do on a good Chromebook.

I'm not interested in a CB Pixel, but a MBPr with touchscreen running OSX, and iOS in an Xcode-like fully functional VM/simulator?

I'd buy that for $1500.
  • Reply 80 of 208
    tao jones wrote: »
    why would a corporation (security paranoid) want google tracking your every click  on chrome books

Just had to say, that's an awesome avatar you have there.