NPD: Chromebook sales outperform MacBooks in commercial sector as iPad loses ground

Comments

• Reply 81 of 208
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    This is just went through commercial channels/resellers. I wonder how much went direct with Apple that's not in the numbers shown.
  • Reply 82 of 208
    All I can say is WTF. Dream on with chrome, as they say it's one of DAA. Plus they just playing with statistics which is not even fun. Drongos!
  • Reply 83 of 208
    marubeni wrote: »
    Notice that there is another huge benefit if you are running a school: you control EXACTLY what is installed on the machine. 

Yes you control exactly what is installed on the device... Nothing.
  • Reply 84 of 208
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    How does one define the "commercial sector"? Are these just figures to resellers like Best Buy and Amazon? If that's the case then of course Mac numbers will be low as it wouldn't include Apple online or retail sales. Also does anyone really believe $249 Chromebooks are taking away sales from Macs (the cheapest being $999)? If anything Chromebooks are hurting low end PC sales from the likes of Dell. HP and Acer. Probably why all of them are now selling Chromebooks themselves.
  • Reply 85 of 208
    The writer of this article must have been paid to write such rubbish. I've always seen apple products all over & no chrome.
  • Reply 86 of 208
    Let me do the math, for the first 11 months of 2013, computing device sales were up 25.4% compared to 2012. Then, sales for iPads for the first 11 months in 2013 were 1.254(15.8)/17.1 or 15.9% more than the comparable period in 2012. One more thought, the long awaited new iPad mini with retina display became available on November 12, 2013 with a significant backlog of orders so the robust December holiday sales for these iPads were not captured in the NPD stats.
  • Reply 87 of 208
    People like Apple MacBook but pricing is becoming a very important factor in their buying decisions. If they buy a MacBook then that is all they get but if they buy a cheaper laptop from other sources then they could also get a TV or gaming console. Prices from competitors are much lower. http://po.st/OYe17n
  • Reply 88 of 208
    Am I missing something? What a strange comparison to put a full featured laptop (Macbook) against a web-appliance(Chromebook). The title of this article is very confusing, does apple still sell MacBooks? I thought only Macbook Pro. Anyhow, I don't see how the two relate, so I found this little write up ridiculous. It's kind of like saying guess what: More people bought pencils, than Tv's.- how does one relate?
  • Reply 89 of 208
    digitol wrote: »
    Am I missing something? What a strange comparison to put a full featured laptop (Macbook) against a web-appliance(Chromebook). The title of this article is very confusing, does apple still sell MacBooks? I thought only Macbook Pro. Anyhow, I don't see how the two relate, so I found this little write up ridiculous. It's kind of like saying guess what: More people bought pencils, than Tv's.- how does one relate?
    Aha! You got fooled. These are channel sales, a number that is completely meaningless unless it is sustained. Based on the careful wording, I would strongly suspect that this is a biased report paid for (directly or indirectly) by Google to exploit a large volume of channel sales, which was probably obtained via some channel incentive trick. All this inventory is currently languishing in Best Buy warehouses and will be returned unsold, and/or discounted. It's called channel stuffing. One would have to be seriously disturbed to plunk down $1,500 on a Pixel when you can get a better laptop for less.
  • Reply 90 of 208
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Where are the usage stats?
  • Reply 91 of 208

FYI: The US commercial channel sales market, which includes resellers and distributors of computer products.

These `sales' are units shipped to these resellers and distributors and classified as sales final, when they are actually sales pending to an end consumer. In short, these are channel packings to prop up quarterlies and once they surpass the quarter and inventory of products aren't moving the distributor/reseller has an option to reduce the sale and/or ship back the merchandise with a small fee.

Those `units' statistics aren't worth spit. They never have been.

• Reply 92 of 208

If it plays Flash, it's dead in the water for many schools. A bit extreme I know but kids simply don't know how to use personal internet tools effectively or responsibly, after all they are just kids. Online Flash games make it necessary to severely restrict the use of the internet in most schools, as a result any device that relies on the internet for its key functionality is going to be strangled at birth.  

• Reply 93 of 208

I went to Best Buy on Saturday to pick up a thumb drive and had read this article on another site, and I decided to look at the chromebook they are just plain cheep looking and using them is just as bad, there was only 1 person while I was standing there who came to look at them and they only spent about a minute looking and left, also you should know they only have 1 little table with them on it and not very close to all the other computers and none of the salesmen even close to them to help the customer with.

• Reply 94 of 208
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

If the economy picks up next year it may help Apple. People may be buying cheap computers just because their budgets are being slashed to the bone. But they need to remember TCO, and the lower number of problems with Apple products.

• Reply 95 of 208
    Ford truck sales boom - major threat to Porsche 911 market share!
  • Reply 96 of 208
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

If you are using AT&T or Verizon you will get charged a fee for hotspoting. Tmobile allows 2gb of hotspoting with their unlimited plan

Not true.  Verizon has never charged a fee for hotspot.  AT&T plans now include it. Although some grandfathered plans may not allow it, without leaving the old plan.  In both cases you have to pay for the data, but no extra charge for hotspot.

• Reply 97 of 208
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    How many people who got/bought an iPad were looking specifically for an iPad? Almost 100%. How many who bought a Chromebook were looking for one? Certainly a lot less. These people will realize how limited ChromeOS is at the moment and a lot of them won't buy it again.
  • Reply 98 of 208
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    clemynx wrote: »
    How many people who got/bought an iPad were looking specifically for an iPad? Almost 100%. How many who bought a Chromebook were looking for one? Certainly a lot less. These people will realize how limited ChromeOS is at the moment and a lot of them won't buy it again.

Just guessing, but I think many people who spent $400 or more on an iPad or $1000+ on an Air would get just as much use from a $200 +/- Chromebook. I doubt most folks run Photoshop or Illustrator or even need to specifically use Microsoft Office on a tablet or laptop. If you do then a Chromebook isn't for you.

While Apple targets the higher-income consumer Google is trying to offer a solution that everyone can consider. So what Chromebooks may be able to do that those high-priced tablets and laptops cannot is make the internet and all it can offer available to a whole segment that otherwise might not be able to without significant sacrifice. How is that something bad?
  • Reply 99 of 208
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    elroy6 wrote: »
    To clarify my previous post: Chromebooks are perfect for K-12 classrooms. Content creation in this domain means writing papers, working with spreadsheets, and creating presentations. While iPads can do all of these things, Chromebooks can do them more efficiently and are much less expensive. There is still a place for iPads in education, but I think they are best suited for unique uses, such as special Ed, or closely targeted activities, such as math drills.

You can do a Keynote like presentation on ChromeOS?

marubeni wrote: »
    I did not realize that you could run windows on a pixel, and as for linux, I had read (admittedly, about a year ago) that linux did not support the high res display -- has this changed now?

You can't even mount networked drives on Chrome OS. It is impossible to do. People who use those have extremely simple needs. Not a bad thing per se, but more an more people use always one drives to play movies on their tv. It's impossible to do on a chromebook.
  • Reply 100 of 208
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    clemynx wrote: »
    You can do a Keynote like presentation on ChromeOS?
    You can't even mount networked drives on Chrome OS. It is impossible to do. People who use those have extremely simple needs. Not a bad thing per se, but more an more people use always one drives to play movies on their tv. It's impossible to do on a chromebook.

Impossible to play movies on a Chromebook? Someone shoulda told me before I did so. :no:

I don't think some of the commenters in this thread actually know much about Chromebooks and what they can and cannot do. Here's a link to a short Q&A for those curious about them.
    https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/3265094?hl=en