Google takes aim at Apple's 'iOS in the Car' with Audi-Android partnership

Comments

• Reply 21 of 143
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Honda is an edge case. A lot of mothers buy Honda vehicles (CR-V?) and I only see them with iPhones.
    Hmm...I own a Honda Civic and also own several iOS devices. Am I not worthy of having iOS in my Civic?
  • Reply 22 of 143

I'm in the market for a new car. I haven't narrowed it down just yet other than to exclude, Ford (MS), Tesla (Android), BMW, (had a Z3, but they are going "in-house" instead of staying with Apple) and now Audi (Android). Ugh! 

Best.

• Reply 23 of 143

Strange thing is Audi was amongst the manufacturers who showed interest in the Apple's technology. Volkswagen should be on Apple's top client-list, they own 12 auto brands including Porsche and Bugatti.

• Reply 24 of 143

How the f**k a classy car manufacture such as Audi chose to go with the crappiest mobile OS in the universe?!?!

Did Larry and The L Team offer them a BJ as well as FREE Audi Ads on TOP of 1st page of google no matter what users search for?!! ;)

• Reply 25 of 143
    st88st88 Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by helicopterben View Post

Was looking to buy Audi in 2014-2015 but now I don't think I will be going with this company! Android dashboard? Wow image

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jguther View Post

I have spent 300k€ + on Audis during the past 15 years. If the next model comes with Google/android crapware on board, I will switch to Mercedes or BMW.

FAIL!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gerard View Post

So disappointed in this news. I was looking forward to picking up a diesel powered A5 in 2014. If this is true; I will have to spend my money elsewhere. I hope this is a bad joke.,,,

Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I'm in the market for a new car. I haven't narrowed it down just yet other than to exclude, Ford (MS), Tesla (Android), BMW, (had a Z3, but they are going "in-house" instead of staying with Apple) and now Audi (Android). Ugh! 

Best.

You're all either full of shit, sarcastic, or your priorities when choosing a car are out of whack. 

• Reply 26 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by st88 View Post

You're all either full of shit, sarcastic, or your priorities when choosing a car are out of whack. 

Vulgar...Get some sleep, bro!

• Reply 27 of 143
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Android in Audi vehicles? What a major misstep and failure to understand their own customers. Android is the low-rent OS that mostly appears on crappy, cheap hardware. iOS appears only only the finest hardware. Clearly Audi products have more in common with Apple, and I am willing to bet their customers share very similar taste and economic advantages. Android belongs in Kia and Hyundai.

I agree, but I think that the problem is the customization. Android allows any level of customization, even a complete fork of the codebase with a dedicated app store (Amazon-like).

• Reply 28 of 143

Oh great!!  With Appleinsider explaining to us a few months ago just how vulnerable Android is, soon our cars along with our tablets and smartphones are doomed to malware.  I recall the article telling us that Android is more vulnerable than Windows XP - now that's very scary!!  Well, at least we know which car not to buy or lease until they give us the choice of Android or iOS.

• Reply 29 of 143
    st88 wrote: »

You can say we are full of MONEY :lol:

I do not like to brag but dogs like you need to be known about it that we will do whatever we want with our money. Go get some life!
  • Reply 29 of 143
    I'll be looking to buy my third Audi in a row in two years. No Apple integration... then no more Audis for me!!
  • Reply 31 of 143
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Ugh. Can't wait for the "driving lag" stories.

My guess is Android for autos looked a lot like ford Sync then suddenly changed after iOS for autos was announced.
  • Reply 32 of 143
    st88st88 Posts: 124member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by helicopterben View Post

You can say we are full of MONEY image

I do not like to brag but dogs like you need to be known about it that we will do whatever we want with our money. Go get some life!

Maybe you are, or maybe you're not.  

Either way your priorities need to be fixed, clearly the drive of the car or other related attributes are missing from your check-list.

• Reply 33 of 143
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

IMO it's actually Microsoft who has the most to lose and not Apple when manufacturers seriously consider Android for embedded systems. Both the medical and auto industry's are already taking a good look.

Bull. Nobody is considering Android for anything mission critical (like medical). QNX and other embedded OS's have those markets locked down. Android would be an utter joke used in something that was supposed to have high reliability and guaranteed up time.

• Reply 34 of 143
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Bull. Nobody is considering Android for anything mission critical (like medical). QNX and other embedded OS's have those markets locked down. Android would be an utter joke used in something that was supposed to have high reliability and guaranteed up time.

Exactly! :)

• Reply 35 of 143
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gprovida View Post

I can see where Auto manufacturers would find Android OS integrated into their car as a way to garner control over the services, albeit, Google Android is notoriously not open when the apps compete with Google e.g., music, maps, search, etc. thereby compromising this control, ask SAMSUNG.

However, this is a very complicated endeavor where underlying infrastructure is important. A car has a 5 to 15 year lifespan and this means support in the software and hardware for nearly an order of magnitude time horizon greater time horizon for Android 18 months. Apple, albeit not yet in that time league, has a 4X time line support and infrastructure upgrades advantage of 3-5 years for iOS and OSX, respectively. For the auto manufacturer having the driver bring the device to the car, substantially reduces the lifecycle support challenges. Note, i do not mean to say it goes away, but sure is easier.

A big concern for the automobile manufacturers is going to be licensing costs, Nokia, Apple, Microsoft, etc. are aggressively pursuing licensing agreements or denial of patents when using Android. Google has not developed an IP strategy that reduces any liability, case in point HTC with Nokia bans in Germany, soon in the US and UK, Apple's successful IP lawsuits with Samsung and more to come on that, and Microsoft on Motorola.

It is easy to imagine a licensing cost for auto manufactures of $50 to $100 or more per car. This is a liability that must be on the minds of the car manufacturers.

So allowing a phone iOS, Windows Mobile 8, or Android to interact in a limited way with the car is certainly valuable to customers and since these are "bring your own device" relatively low cost and risk free, but Android as core OS in cars is much more problematical.

This is why Apple's plan is so much better. By using the phone as the "brains" of the system then all that is needed for an upgrade to the system is to get a new phone. All that Apple has to do for the 5-15 year life of the car is make sure that the interface is supported. Something which they can and have done in the past.

With the built-in system there will be no practical way to upgrade this system. And given how dismally horrible Android is at supporting past hardware I cannot believe that anyone thinks this is a good idea. I also have to seriously question their thinking considering how quickly Google is known for dropping things. With the turmoil happening with the Android leadership and the questionable litigation of who truly owns Android. I am left only shaking my head at this questionable decision.

• Reply 36 of 143
    Great. Google following me around more than they do already. I guess my current Audi will be my last.
  • Reply 37 of 143
    Quote:

Originally Posted by noneyabusiness View Post

Valid survey question.  It would be interesting to see if iOS market share is dropping as much for Audi owners and potential owners as it is for the overall market.  Europe iOS market share (by sales) dropped below 15% vs >80% for Android. Worldwide it is a similar picture...

Which might be relevant if they were talking about an interfacing system like Apple is doing. However, with the system they are describing, which is integrated, this statistic is pretty much moot. That is like asking what my current phone is with my current car's system. It doesn't matter because they don't interface.

• Reply 38 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by st88 View Post

Maybe you are, or maybe you're not.  

Either way your priorities need to be fixed, clearly the drive of the car or other related attributes are missing from your check-list.

I know right? Crazy that some people claim to use the in-car OS as the deciding factor of whether or not to buy a vehicle, throwing out fuel economy, safety, styling, performance, etc. Certainly within their right, but very strange indeed.
  • Reply 39 of 143
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mknopp View Post

Which might be relevant if they were talking about an interfacing system like Apple is doing. However, with the system they are describing, which is integrated, this statistic is pretty much moot. That is like asking what my current phone is with my current car's system. It doesn't matter because they don't interface.

I think you are missing the point.  Audi is likely thinking that if 9 out of 10 potential buyers of their cars can not use the fancy in-dash system because their non-iOS phone can not plug into it... Does this hurt their sales?  I would say yes.  

A car should have an entertainment/nav/etc system that doesn't care which smartphone you have at the time of purchase (much less which one you happen to have every subsequent year you own the vehicle).  

Which OS would best power that in-car system is a valid discussion point.  But making a choice that severely limits your buyer pool is not a smart business decision.

• Reply 40 of 143
    Well, that should make all the douchebags happy.