Apple celebrates New Years Eve with free single from Avicii in US & UK

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
With 2013 drawing to a close, day six of Apple's "12 Days of Gifts" is an appropriately timed free "New Years Eve Mix" from Swedish DJ Avicii, including a track and a music video for both U.S. and U.K. users.

Each day's gift can be discovered by using Apple's 12 Days of Gifts app available for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. Monday's offering, the New Years Eve Mix single from Avicii, can also be downloaded for free directly from the iTunes Store.

The single includes the music video for Avicii's smash hit "Wake Me Up." The same track is included in a special New Years Eve mix by the DJ, which also features the songs "Hey Brother," and "I Could Be the One."

The single was previously priced at $4.99, but is free for Tuesday only. As the sixth gift, the Avicii track and video mark the halfway point of Apple's "12 Days of Gifts."

Apple's gifts have varied by country and region, but Tuesday's track from the Swedish DJ is available for free in both the U.S. and the U.K.

Monday's free gift in the U.S. was Oscar-winning film Hugo, from director Martin Scorsese. U.K. users received a free copy of the holiday classic Home Alone.

Other previous U.S. gifts from Apple include a Justin Timberlake single, the iOS game Tiny Thief, Lonely Planet's Best in Travel 2014 e-book, and a single from Lorde.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    mauszmausz Posts: 243member

Free is free, but I still find the gifts a bit disappointing compared to last year.

Only Tiny Thief was nice, but an old movie like Home Alone....

And of course music videos and some songs, which are not experienced as gifts to me personally as I can view them on Youtube or listen to them using Spotify/Google Play Music All Access (not free).

I know I'm sounding spoiled or not thankfull, and should not be because Apple doesn't have to gift me anything, but I'm just comparing to last year which brought a number of games and apps.

• Reply 2 of 22
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mausz View Post

Free is free, but I still find the gifts a bit disappointing compared to last year.

And of course music videos and some songs, which are not experienced as gifts to me personally as I can view them on Youtube or listen to them using Spotify/Google Play Music All Access (not free).

I know I'm sounding spoiled or not thankfull, and should not be because Apple doesn't have to gift me anything, but I'm just comparing to last year which brought a number of games and apps.

Not over yet, certainly been a poor show so far but still a chance that something people actually want will come up.

• Reply 3 of 22
    mauszmausz Posts: 243member

Not part of this Apple promotion, but Rayman Jungle Run is a free download only today. Nice game, nice gift ;)

• Reply 4 of 22
    mactmact Posts: 26member

It would be nice if those who just got a Mac could go back and download the earlier ones.

• Reply 5 of 22
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

2014, feels the same as 2013 so far :p 

• Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:

Not part of this Apple promotion, but Rayman Jungle Run is a free download only today. Nice game, nice gift ;)

Thanks!

Thats actually the best freebie yet!

• Reply 7 of 22
    Of course, available in Sweden as well!

Happy ending, let new year bring new mini and TB display.
  • Reply 8 of 22

Is the song any good?

• Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MACT View Post

It would be nice if those who just got a Mac could go back and download the earlier ones.

Agreed. I meant to grab the Lonely Planet travel e-book, that looks pretty cool. Oh well. Looking forward to the Avicii track.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

Is the song any good?

I like Avicii.  His songs feels like new twist of old folk or country songs.  He also experimented  with crowd sourced song writing.

• Reply 11 of 22
    mausz wrote: »

Just like those game shows that give away cars you can afford like Buicks instead of Ferraris. Such total disappointments.
  • Reply 12 of 22

Not sure what else they'll give out, but Hugo alone was worth it. I almost bought it for the kids over Christmas break so they'd have something new (and worthwhile) to watch. The kids also like Tiny Thief.

Anything else I get is a bonus.

• Reply 13 of 22
    Can't too excited as once again mainstream entertainment media continues Hollywood's version of America as essentially black and white, ad nauseum. In this fantasy world the goal of diversity and inclusion is satisfied by making all characters black and white, with a token Asian or Latino sometimes randomly included. It's 2013 - there are FAR MORE Latinos in this country than blacks, yet blacks somehow predominate whenever whites decide they need to show they're being "inclusive." It's beyond racist.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Swing and a miss....again!!
  • Reply 15 of 22
    "Avicii"? Sounds like a prescription med for shingles.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    mausz wrote: »

Thanks for the tip!
  • Reply 17 of 22
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Yes it is, first one for 2014 in Australia.

btw happy new year.

• Reply 18 of 22
    rmfpdx wrote: »
    Can't too excited as once again mainstream entertainment media continues Hollywood's version of America as essentially black and white, ad nauseum. In this fantasy world the goal of diversity and inclusion is satisfied by making all characters black and white, with a token Asian or Latino sometimes randomly included. It's 2013 - there are FAR MORE Latinos in this country than blacks, yet blacks somehow predominate whenever whites decide they need to show they're being "inclusive." It's beyond racist.
    What are you talking about? What does this have to do with the post?
  • Reply 19 of 22
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    At least it's better than Apple's Black Friday scam which gave you a gift card forcing you to buy even MORE Apple products.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    What a great single!