Apple says it was unaware of NSA's iPhone spying, vows to defend customers' privacy

Comments

• Reply 41 of 84
    formosaformosa Posts: 261member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

Buahahahaha! Glad I left Apple! Keep buying their tainted products you iSheep! My Galaxy Note 3 is WAAAAYYY better than my iPhone ever was and if they dare taint it, I'll root it.

And you don't think the NSA has already rooted Android?

• Reply 42 of 84
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    rickers wrote: »
    Isn't Steve-O one of the people who said something to the effect of, "if you're not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about"?

Steve rebelled against authority. He was out to change the world, not play within its rules.
  • Reply 43 of 84
    Originally Posted by Rickers View Post

Most of the nitwits here won't get this.

Try reading the post before replying to it.

• Reply 44 of 84
    formosa wrote: »

And you don't think the NSA has already rooted Android?

Prove that it is or go away. Isn't that how I've been treated here for some time now? I've listed proof and evidence in abundance and told to just go away. People in this forum want to hide from the evidence...hide from the truth... Tim Cook only cares about soaking you dry in the name of profit. He's not Jobs. Jobs had conviction. Cook just wants to make money.

Rooted Android? Since there are so many players, they'd be quite busy. Since Google writes it, OEMS fine tune it and add hardware support, and providers add their mods and sign off on the code, they've got their work cut out. Android developer community is so all over this stuff, rooters would be rid of it in days. If it comes out that despite the roadblocks, they did, I'll root and rid myself of it quickly.
  • Reply 45 of 84

Why? You never have anything of substance to add, anyway. Someone else just as clueless a little too much for you?
  • Reply 46 of 84
    Quote:

Prove that it is or go away. Isn't that how I've been treated here for some time now? I've listed proof and evidence in abundance and told to just go away. People in this forum want to hide from the evidence...hide from the truth... Tim Cook only cares about soaking you dry in the name of profit. He's not Jobs. Jobs had conviction. Cook just wants to make money.

Rooted Android? Since there are so many players, they'd be quite busy. Since Google writes it, OEMS fine tune it and add hardware support, and providers add their mods and sign off on the code, they've got their work cut out. Android developer community is so all over this stuff, rooters would be rid of it in days. If it comes out that despite the roadblocks, they did, I'll root and rid myself of it quickly.

I don't think anyone needs to waste time arguing with you. You lack an argument, since you just told others to prove their point, and then went along and made a bunch of unproven, shaky assertions of your own.

Logic fail much?

• Reply 47 of 84

You

• Reply 48 of 84
    kc345 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone needs to waste time arguing with you. You lack an argument, since you just told others to prove their point, and then went along and made a bunch of unproven, shaky assertions of your own.

Logic fail much?

Unproven? That's exactly the development chain of events as recently released by HTC. The NSA would have to get every player involved to get in with them. Since Apple is the developer and the OEM, and the providers are pretty much completely out of the picture, the NSA only has to strong arm one player - Apple!

To get Android, they have to deal with Samsung, Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T - Mobile and all the little carriers - just to compromise all the Samsung devices, and that doesn't encompass Google Experience editions. Then, to get all of Android, they have to strong arm LG, HTC, Sony, Asus, Toshiba...and let's not forget the Nexus and Motorola devices developed completely by Google. Now, they're gonna accomplish that without any one of those blowing the whistle? Highly unlikely...
  • Reply 49 of 84

Again, nothing of substance to add...
  • Reply 50 of 84

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Buahahahaha! Glad I left Apple! Keep buying their tainted products you iSheep! My Galaxy Note 3 is WAAAAYYY better than my iPhone ever was and if they dare taint it, I'll root it.</span>

Shut up and go away.

• Reply 51 of 84
    minicaptminicapt Posts: 219member
    Quote:

Unproven? That's exactly the development chain of events as recently released by HTC. The NSA would have to get every player involved to get in with them. Since Apple is the developer and the OEM, and the providers are pretty much completely out of the picture, the NSA only has to strong arm one player - Apple!

To get Android, they have to deal with Samsung, Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T - Mobile and all the little carriers - just to compromise all the Samsung devices, and that doesn't encompass Google Experience editions. Then, to get all of Android, they have to strong arm LG, HTC, Sony, Asus, Toshiba...and let's not forget the Nexus and Motorola devices developed completely by Google. Now, they're gonna accomplish that without any one of those blowing the whistle? Highly unlikely...

Actually, there is a NSA-secured version of Android, which is available for licensing from Ft Meade.

Cheers

• Reply 52 of 84
    bradipaobradipao Posts: 145member
    Quote:

Buahahahaha! Glad I left Apple! Keep buying their tainted products you iSheep! My Galaxy Note 3 is WAAAAYYY better than my iPhone ever was and if they dare taint it, I'll root it.

In my opinion it is not a weakness of device or OS. The "Lavabit affair" demonstrated that in some circumstances any US-based company can be forced to give access to customer/user data and forced not to disclose it.

• Reply 53 of 84
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickers View Post

Isn't Steve-O one of the people who said something to the effect of, "if you're not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about"?

Maybe you are thinking of Larry Ellison, who has openly defended the NSA spying as "essential." http://www.examiner.com/article/oracle-ceo-larry-ellison-praises-nsa-program-as-essential

• Reply 54 of 84
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jsmythe00 wrote: »
    ...why doesn't apple insider require a credit card to authenticate? That way when these trolls post you blacklist the card associated with the acct. trolls will eventually run out of cards.

As it stands now, you kill one user acct, they make another

I think that would prevent a lot of people from posting who simply don't want every site to have access their CCs or real names.
  • Reply 55 of 84
    Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

And that’s a piece of cake to detect if you can put the effort into detecting it. Not everyone’s schedules are free enough to do a run through the recurring accounts in the morning, but I did it before. 

• Reply 56 of 84

Were on the second page of comments YAY!

So basically the NSA is about as smart as any of these Jailbreaking outfits. They are just jailbreaking and installing a custom app that feeds back a users data usage and location. Whoop-t-doo NSA, a lot of people can do that. In fact I'm willing to bet theres a spyware app already on most peoples devices called FACEBOOK.....OMG

• Reply 57 of 84
    Physical access isn't needed to jailbreak a phone, so I would argue it should not be needed to install a NSA backdoor, either.

D
  • Reply 58 of 84
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    jsmythe00 wrote: »
    Possibly but I think there are ALOT of regulars here that would welcome that extra security.

Extra security? How would visiting AI be made more secure if a credit check were done on every member as you're suggesting?
  • Reply 59 of 84
    Quote:

It might not be Android but Windows NT had a file that directly talked to the NSA if the machine was on the internet. The fix was reasonably simple. Create a blank text file using a hex editor and make sure it was exactly 4KB in size.

If the NSA had this stuff back in the 90's in one of the most major "secure" operating systems on the planet at the time what makes you think that Android doesn't have it being the most "open" operating system on the planet today?

Android has so much malware on the platform there is no denying it would be relatively trivial for the NSA to hack it WITHOUT physical access to the phone. iOS NEEDS physical access because the OS is locked down so much to prevent this from happening.

The only reason Android isn't discussed is because the entire document is about iOS not any other OS. If it was all about Apple then why is the Mac not also included in this document?

I guess it's too much to ask fandroids to use a little something called CONTEXT but hey, you've got to keep the shiny turds looking shiny I guess.

• Reply 60 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

...why doesn't apple insider require a credit card to authenticate? That way when these trolls post you blacklist the card associated with the acct. trolls will eventually run out of cards.

Nah a better idea would be to charge their credit cards $100 for every troll post they make. Then when they go to buy their next Android/Windows device they can't because they have no money.