Apple gives away MacBook Airs, iPads, iPods in Japan 'Lucky Bags'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
For its annual New Year's Fukubukuro "lucky bag" promotion in Japan, Apple gave away products valued much higher than the package's $340 cost, with 2014's special gifts including 11-inch MacBook Airs, iPads and iPods.

Fukubukuro
Source: Mac Otakara

Apple had four different Fukubukuro configurations -- roughly translated to "lucky bags" -- awaiting customers this year, each selling for 36,000 yen, or around $340, reports Japanese language publication Mac Otakara.

While every bundle represented some sort of savings, the biggest came with bags containing an 11-inch MacBook Air, Apple Magic Mouse, Pill Speaker by Beats, red MacBook Air jacket, special New Year's Apple shirt and other small items.

The three other "big surprise" gifts included Wi-Fi versions of the iPad Air and first-generation iPad mini, and seventh-generation iPod nanos. Alongside Apple-made accessories like Smart Covers, the company also stuffed bags with the Philips hue starter kit, Nike+ FuelBand SE, Ultimate Ears Mobile Boombox, Stem IZON View remote control camera and Square's credit card reader.

Apple's annual Fukubukuro promotion was announced on Dec. 26 alongside a one-day sale for the Online Apple Store and Apple Store iOS app in Japan.

As of Jan. 3, Apple Stores in Japan will also be conducting a three-day series of free kids workshops geared toward digital content creation on the iPad. The sessions will involve music, movie and photo journal projects likely created with first-party iLife apps.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    Wow. Wish they did this in the UK.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    crosslad wrote: »
    Wow. Wish they did this in the UK.

Yeah. Even if you don't get a MBA they all seem well worth the investment.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    How come we don't have such thing in US? It is so Sweet!
  • Reply 4 of 23
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Now to twist this into fandroid ammunition.

Why waste money on a chrome book pixel, when Apple sells brand new MacBook Airs for $340! ;)
  • Reply 5 of 23
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

To cheap to have there.

• Reply 6 of 23
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Gee, that's kinda nice.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    hill60 wrote: »
    Now to twist this into fandroid ammunition.

Why waste money on a chrome book pixel, when Apple sells brand new MacBook Airs for $340! ;)

That's a really weak attempt. More like "hahahahaha is this what they have to resort to in order to get their devices into the hands of consumers" pretty much what many on here would say if a competitor did it.
  • Reply 8 of 23

I think it is not available outside of Japan is because they have different lottery/sweepstakes rules.  At least in the US, purchase is not required to enter.

• Reply 9 of 23
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

I think it is not available outside of Japan is because they have different lottery/sweepstakes rules.  At least in the US, purchase is not required to enter.

It’s neither a lottery nor a sweepstakes. You pay money, you get items. There’s no law in the US that states you must know what the items are, only that the items are.

• Reply 10 of 23
    I bet it has to do with taxes
  • Reply 11 of 23
    omgitzjose wrote: »
    I bet it has to do with taxes

I don't think we should read too deeply into it. It's a Japanese custom, not an American one, but note that it has spread to at least the city of Honolulu and Sanrio stores in the US. If there is anything I see preventing Apple from adopting it in the US I'd say it's due to the number of units they'd have to sell as a huge discount since the US is their largest single market.

• Reply 12 of 23
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Meanwhile today in the USA we get a Diary of a Whimpy Kid book. Like what the hell is that- a 12 Days of Bag of Hurt ?
  • Reply 13 of 23
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Meanwhile today in the USA we get a Diary of a Whimpy Kid book. Like what the hell is that- a 12 Days of Bag of Hurt ?

If you had paid $340 for the 12 FREE and optional downloads being offered by 12 Days of Gifts then I would understand your scornfulness.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    solipsismx wrote: »
    If you had paid $340 for the 12 FREE and optional downloads being offered by 12 Days of Gifts then I would understand your scornfulness.

$340 ?????
    From where in the Twilight Zone are you writing from in that you would even know how much it all costs as this is only day 8?
    And what were the other options?
  • Reply 15 of 23
    $340 ?????
    From where in the Twilight Zone are you writing from in that you would even know how much it all costs as this is only day 8?
    And what were the other options?

You made the comparison to lucky bags before complaining about free digital items. If you don't know where $340 derives from you really need to consider the thread you are posting in.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    solipsismx wrote: »
    You made the comparison to lucky bags before complaining about free digital items. If you don't know where $340 derives from you really need to consider the thread you are posting in.

Giveaways are giveaways and crap is crap whether free or paid for-
    and your point is pointless.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Giveaways are giveaways and crap is crap whether free or paid for-

and your point is pointless.

So why comment at all when you quite plainly don’t understand what’s going on in either situation?

• Reply 18 of 23
    So why comment at all when you quite plainly don’t understand what’s going on in either situation?

What's to understand?
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Are you the author of Diary of a Whimpy Kid?

You just buried the needle on the WTFometer.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You just buried the needle on the WTFometer.

And a Happy New Year to you too!