Holidays bring market share gains for Apple's iPhone, iPad remains dominant

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
New web traffic data suggests that the iPhone was Christmas's big winner among smartphones while the iPad remained the dominant tablet, though it lost some ground to competition from Samsung, Amazon, and Microsoft.

Chitika smartphone statistics

The study, conducted by web and advertising analytics firm Chitika, collated traffic statistics from "tens of millions" of U.S. and Canadian mobile devices across the company's network between Dec. 20 and Dec. 29. Data from the days immediately preceding Christmas was combined and compared to traffic from the days immediately following the holiday.

Apple's 1.8-percent gain in smartphone traffic represented the only increase among the handset vendors tracked in the study, with Motorola, HTC, LG, and Samsung all declining by between 0.1 and 0.8 percent. The iPhone was good for 54.3 percent of smartphone traffic, easily besting second-place Samsung's 23.7 percent.

It is unclear how much of the traffic was driven by Apple's newest flagship iPhone 5s and mid-range iPhone 5c as Chitika did not provide a more detailed breakdown, but the firm did say that the data indicates the "latest set of 5s and 5c devices remained a hit with consumers."

Chitika tablet statistics

Roles were reversed in the tablet market as the iPad shed 1.3 percent of its traffic share, though it maintained a massive 76.1 percent of all tablet-originated traffic. Amazon's Kindle tablets were the biggest beneficiaries of the iPad's decline, clocking 9.4 percent of all logged tablet traffic, a 0.6-percent increase.

Microsoft, Samsung, and Google each picked up between 0.1 and 0.5 percent.

Though Apple holds more than three-quarters of all tablet traffic tracked by Chitika, the iPad's share is down nearly 10 percent compared to a July report from the firm which credited the iPad with 84.3 percent of tablet traffic.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    More good news which will be used to randomly punish Apple's stock.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    This report is obviously a lie. People (including popular subgroups such as teens, elderly, etc) are running away from iOS!

No 7" phone? No NFC? No curved screen? No waterproofing? Not even a stylus? Apple should get its act together!!!
    /s
  • Reply 3 of 32

hmm

• Reply 4 of 32
    As a Costco shopper, I noticed Samsung's tablets were prominently displayed near the entrance of the store where hundreds of shoppers would pass by every hour. I noticed there were substantial "immediate in-store rebates" offered to lower the MSRP of the Samsung tablets. If one wanted to make this purchase one would simply grab the proxy card and pick up the item when checking out.

Apple is NOT sold at Costco because Apple won't (need to) slash the price to "wholesale". (Costco features all phones except the iPhone as well.).

Also, at Amazon, iPads and iPhones are seemingly not particularly featured. In fact it seems to me to be quite the reverse.

I'm sure both Costco and Amazon provided a substantial number of Samsung holiday sales. Many Costco shoppers are going to have a sophisticated understanding of the latest tech, but certainly not all. Plus many are just shopping for gifts and are putting price before high value and user experience IMO.

I'm sure these two vendors added a lot of sales to Samsung's holiday numbers whereas Apple's products were not particularly represented this year.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    By "Apple's 1.8-percent gain in smartphone traffic" you mean "Apple's 1.8 *percentage point* gain," right? This article seems to have been written by someone who didn't understand the difference.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Jared Porter View Post

Apple is NOT sold at Costco because Apple won't (need to) slash the price to "wholesale". (Costco features all phones except the iPhone as well.).

Mobile Apple products are all sold at Sam’s Club.

• Reply 7 of 32
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

As a Costco shopper, I noticed Samsung's tablets were prominently displayed near the entrance of the store where hundreds of shoppers would pass by every hour. I noticed there were substantial "immediate in-store rebates" offered to lower the MSRP of the Samsung tablets. If one wanted to make this purchase one would simply grab the proxy card and pick up the item when checking out.

Also, at Amazon, iPads and iPhones are seemingly not particularly featured. In fact it seems to me to be quite the reverse.

I'm sure both Costco and Amazon provided a substantial number of Samsung holiday sales. Many Costco shoppers are going to have a sophisticated understanding of the latest tech, but certainly not all. Plus many are just shopping for gifts and are putting price before high value and user experience IMO.

I'm sure these two vendors added a lot of sales to Samsung's holiday numbers whereas Apple's products were not particularly represented this year.

Meanwhile the opposite is true at Sam’s Clubs. iPhones and iPads prominently displayed as you walk  in the door. If Sam’s Club can sell Apple products so can Costco if they want to. The two competitors have very similar pricing so Costco could easily take on Apple products. Why they don’t is between Costco and Apple I guess, but it’s certainly not about slashing prices to wholesale.

• Reply 8 of 32
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Hmm...I have a hard time believing that iPhone traffic was up over the holidays but iPad was down. Of course this is only one data point.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member

Does anyone know if there's going to be an Apple event/keynote this January?

To keep this post relevant, so they can show their stats for the iPad's dominance.

• Reply 10 of 32
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    [SIZE=20px]Does anyone know if there's going to be an Apple event/keynote this January?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10px]To keep this post relevant, so they can show their stats for the iPad's dominance.[/SIZE]

There should be a conference call. Not sure of an event unless Apple releases new hardware.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Sam's Club is owned by Walmart, so that makes sense.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    foo_bar wrote: »
    By "Apple's 1.8-percent gain in smartphone traffic" you mean "Apple's 1.8 *percentage point* gain," right? This article seems to have been written by someone who didn't understand the difference.

The point was quite obvious.
  • Reply 13 of 32

Android TV Dongles that secretly provide automatic ad-clicks in the background to boost the perceived internet usage share of Android tablets as soon as they are plugged in. Does anyone seriously think Samsung wouldn't do this? Hopefully I just didn't give them the idea.

• Reply 14 of 32
    jdunysjdunys Posts: 18member
    I hate Android with a passion. I love Unix and Linux on the desktop and server and am an Open Source advocate.

But I hate Android.
    By allowing telcos control of the hardware/software experience, Google did a very bad thing.
    Of course, we understand why Google did it. Obviously not with the customer experience in mind. Not with a view of real innovation either. And certainly not for the sake of "openness".

I do hope Mozilla or Ubuntu phones get picked up by manufacturers who claim "openness" (do you hear Samsung/HTC/etc)?

And I hope Google gets to pay loads to Oracle for ripping up Sun/Oracle. And Apple. And Microsoft. All under the pretence of freedom, when their capitalistic aim was and still is to plunder everyone else's technology so that their advertising business model can rule.

Let 2014 be the year Google is brought down to earth so that they can really innovate again. Then we will all really benefit.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Meanwhile the opposite is true at Sam’s Clubs. iPhones and iPads prominently displayed as you walk  in the door. If Sam’s Club can sell Apple products so can Costco if they want to. The two competitors have very similar pricing so Costco could easily take on Apple products. Why they don’t is between Costco and Apple I guess, but it’s certainly not about slashing prices to wholesale.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Sam's Club is owned by Walmart, so that makes sense.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/115506/costco-enters-mutual-agreement-to-stop-selling-apple-products

• Reply 17 of 32
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member

Not to nitpick, but the title says "market share", but the data is representing "usage share".  There's a huge difference between the two terms.

• Reply 18 of 32
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Thanks for the link!

Here's another link for ya!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57616433-71/iphone-users-smartest-test-of-wits-says-blackberry-sorry/

So not only do those here think Android is bought by those with lesser means, here's proof that Android users have less "intelligence", also

• Reply 19 of 32
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member

I go to Costco every couple weeks in two different locations.

The Samsung tablet area is also prominently displayed and is always a ghost town. A wretched patch of unused traffic area. They can't be selling well at those two stores.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    Quote:

Apple is NOT sold at Costco because Apple won't (need to) slash the price to "wholesale". (Costco features all phones except the iPhone as well.)

Our local Costco sold one MacBook model for a few months. IIRC, they sold for $100 less than the Apple Store price. There was  a sign stating that Warranty work was provided by Costco and not Apple.

My city is often used by companies to test new products before they roll them out nationwide. I never saw another Macbook offered, so maybe they were testing the appeal of the product and it didn't work out.

The same Costco also sold different iPod models a few years ago. Not sure if iPods were common at all Costco's.