Google to shut down Bump and Flock apps, delete all data

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I asked you for cash flows, not revenues. Do you know the difference?

Android is not a simple economic proposition. The data gathered from Android users through locations, networks accessed, apps used, etc. is surely helping Google generate cash flow from ads, but how would you break out a figure like that, and why would Google share it?

• Reply 42 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Shut up and go away.

lol they have stipulations for everything around here

• Reply 43 of 57
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Where does it say it’s ‘closing down’? It says the opposite.

You just proved my point.

What point was that? Google didn't announce any change either, same as Apple.
  • Reply 44 of 57
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

lol they have stipulations for everything around here

If you had an argument at all, you wouldn’t need to preface it with meaningless conditionals.

• Reply 45 of 57
    If you enjoyed Bump or you were intrigued by their proximity features, there are other apps you can use like AirDrop, ProxToMe, etc. Among all, ProxToMe (www.proxtome.com) is the only one that works across multiple platforms and enables a full proximity experience made of instant messaging and in-cloud file sharing.
  • Reply 46 of 57

Quote:

... and all user data will be deleted*. 

*transmitted to the NSA, incorporated into the data store for other Google "services", and yes, finally, deleted from Bump's old servers.

You kind of have to read between the lines.

• Reply 47 of 57
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Where does it say it’s ‘closing down’? It says the opposite.

You just proved my point.

Siri did close down permanently for all iPhone 4 users.

• Reply 48 of 57
    d4njvrzf wrote: »
    Siri did close down permanently for all iPhone 4 users.

Fair point.
  • Reply 49 of 57
    marubenimarubeni Posts: 334member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I imagine it's gonna be what the previous poster suggested: Baked into Android proper. Not the worst idea by any means. Apple thought it was intriguing enough to feature in one of their iPhone ads didn't they?

I had always assumed Bump was redundant under Android, since the high end android devices all support NFC...

• Reply 50 of 57
    I never heard of either app, but it looks like their ideas were sufficiently innovative for Apple and others to emulate.
  • Reply 51 of 57
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I never heard of either app, but it looks like their ideas were sufficiently innovative for Apple and others to emulate.

Emulate? Wow, that's a complete different view than mine. I'd say that Apple's implementation is 'done right' ie without the stupid bumping but just two iPhones having the same app open (like iPhoto).
  • Reply 52 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If you had an argument at all, you wouldn’t need to preface it with meaningless conditionals.

You mean like in your sentence above?

• Reply 53 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

I never heard of these apps until this article pointed them out. I assume nothing of value was lost.

But... but...see those ads all over AI? Google.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

But... but...see those ads all over AI? Google.

Would you pay $$ for AI troubles allowing you to browse and or post?!! Then, AI surely wouldn't give crap to deal with google craps once and for all.

Until then .....  

• Reply 54 of 57
    Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

You mean like in your sentence above?

I sure wish you knew what you were talking about. 

Here’s an idea: go find some other site to crap all over.

• Reply 55 of 57
    Airdrop shares just as easily, except I don't have to knock my phone up against someone else's. Pointless app for people that wanted to be like Samsung. Just because an idea is neat doesn't mean it's useful or even desirable.
  • Reply 56 of 57
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Airdrop shares just as easily, except I don't have to knock my phone up against someone else's. Pointless app for people that wanted to be like Samsung. Just because an idea is neat doesn't mean it's useful or even desirable.

Except bump was doing it long before Samsung was.

Anyone else remember this?

• Reply 57 of 57
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

Would you pay $$ for AI troubles allowing you to browse and or post?!! Then, AI surely wouldn't give crap to deal with google craps once and for all.

Until then .....  

Good lord, I would not pay a dime towards this site. I have no issue with donating to other sites such as Wikipedia. I have no complaint about the fact that AI uses Google services though.