Paint-by-rumors: Expectations for Apple in 2014

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    flabingo wrote: »
    The Chairman of the board works for Google, and the. board is weak.

i thought levinson parted ways with google 4-5 years ago?
  • Reply 22 of 57
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

i thought levinson parted ways with google 4-5 years ago?

My understanding was that he’s part of one of the companies Google recently acquired.

• Reply 23 of 57
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Tim Cook is doing a great job as COO. His problem is that the Board of. directors and CFO, are not doing as good a job. The Chairman of the board works for Google, and the. board is weak. The ball is our court as stockholders. Who needs Al Gore and the Avon Lady with the Burberry lady comin in the spring? And Al Gore is not an asset

This is the second time I've seen you try to float this crap.

Apple's plans for renewable energy for their headquarters and data centers have Gore's fingerprints all over them.
  • Reply 24 of 57
    I personally rather have a slightly smaller iPhone, in-between an HP Veer size and the current iPhone size. Veers rock except they're a bit too small of a screen for older folks. I worked for years at Apple testing Mac OS hardware/software from System 7 to Lion 10.7- I love Apple products to death. But, I never owned an iPhone, didn't like the iOS until just recently, now that iOS is more.., uh-hum, like webOS (love those cards, and easy access menu to common utilities). With all that said, ironically, I prefer the pre-iOS 7 OS graphical elements (icons and buttons and such), again because it's easier for (this) old guy to see an interact with. It's funny, I'll probably never be happy with an iPhone, primarily because it's nearly impossible that they would release an iPhone nano or iPhone lite.
  • Reply 25 of 57
    The company is Calico and he is CEO. Check it out
  • Reply 26 of 57
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,110member

They forgot to mention supply constraints for every new/updated product. That's my #1 rumor expectation.

And OLED is pretty bad in direct sunlight, which is another reason why they don't use it on their other products and are unlikely to use it on a wrist computer.

• Reply 27 of 57
    minicaptminicapt Posts: 219member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

How else can they redesign it?

Bigger on the inside, smaller on the outside; triple OS boot and a chording keyboard.

Cheers

• Reply 28 of 57
    Google taps former Genentech CEO to lead Calico, its new health & antiaging initiative
  • Reply 29 of 57
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    What about 2015....we're already in 2014....more interesting
  • Reply 30 of 57
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

Give it a break okay. We just started 2014.

• Reply 31 of 57
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    st88 wrote: »
    I think a convergence device is needed in 2014, something to combine the iOS ease of use with the capabilities of OS X.

Such a device is probably a few years away yet. Design is about trade offs; you can't have it all.
  • Reply 32 of 57
    ksec wrote: »
    Really want a Mac Pro without the Pro Spec, just i7 Haswell with desktop Graphics.

So you want an updated mini then?
  • Reply 33 of 57
    Tim Cook is doing a great job as COO. His problem is that the Board of. directors and CFO, are not doing as good a job. The Chairman of the board works for Google, and the. board is weak. The ball is our court as stockholders. Who needs Al Gore and the Avon Lady with the Burberry lady comin in the spring? And Al Gore is not an asset

Not going to work iCahn.
  • Reply 34 of 57
    Here are my two cents on the iPhone screen sizes we'll see in 2014.
    - There will still be a 4" model
    - There will be a bigger screen, probably 4.84", model.
    Why 4.84"? Using the iOS home screen as the reference, the transition from 4S to 5 brought an additional row of icons for the height of 192px. If the new model brings an additional row of icons, an additional column and maintains the same 326ppi as the current iPhone, the end resolution will be 832x1344, that's a diagonal of 4.848722075 in.
    iOS7 introduces an auto-layout feature in their sdk, if used by developers, this allows the UI to automatically adapt to different screen sizes without the ugly banding we've seen when moving from 3.5" to 4" under iOS 6. Increasing the PPI is a whole other issue; It requires every non-vector image in the UI to be resized by the developer, or be upscaled and look blurry (remember the transition to retina displays). Maintaining the same PPI will make the transition to a bigger screen almost effortless for developers, thus improving the user experience.
  • Reply 35 of 57
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    We'll obviously be seeing the arrival of a revamped line of MBAs and Mac minis in the first half of 2014. I'm still not convinced the iPad Pro is in fact going to happen as predicted. The bigger screens could also just be for a new MBA. With a new, narrow bezel, a 12.9" display could basically replace both the 13" MBA in terms of viewable real estate as well as the 11" in terms of package size. With the 13" rMBP, the 13" MBA seems like the odd one out anyway.

As for the Mac mini, I'm not sure whether we'll just see a Haswell update, which seems unlikely after all this time, or whether Apple has indeed come up with an entirely new design. Maybe something closer to the current nMP in terms of looks.

Of course I'd also very much welcome an xMac kind of device that fits into the nMP case, but has a single high end graphics card, a quad core i7 CPU and a more affordable storage solution, such as a fusion drive. I think this could be a very successful machine for a lot of people who still need a modular desktop machine, IF priced right.
  • Reply 36 of 57
    appleempl wrote: »
    I personally rather have a slightly smaller iPhone, in-between an HP Veer size and the current iPhone size.

The trouble with that is Apple tends to create devices for more than a one-person marketplace. You may as well adjust and get used to the 5c and 5s form factors, because that's as small as it gets from Apple from here on out. Buying a 4s is just clinging to the past.
  • Reply 37 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The trouble with that is Apple tends to create devices for more than a one-person marketplace. You may as well adjust and get used to the 5c and 5s form factors, because that's as small as it gets from Apple from here on out. Buying a 4s is just clinging to the past.

I agree. The 5s looked weird at first (wife has one), but you get used to it quickly. I have a Nexus 4, and thought I would be annoyed with its size, but now I prefer that too. I think we get used to whatever we have in our pockets pretty quickly. More options on the iPhone front will probably be appreciated.

• Reply 38 of 57
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Here are my two cents on the iPhone screen sizes we'll see in 2014.
    - There will still be a 4" model
    - There will be a bigger screen, probably 4.84", model.
    Why 4.84"? Using the iOS home screen as the reference, the transition from 4S to 5 brought an additional row of icons for the height of 192px. If the new model brings an additional row of icons, an additional column and maintains the same 326ppi as the current iPhone, the end resolution will be 832x1344, that's a diagonal of 4.848722075 in.
    iOS7 introduces an auto-layout feature in their sdk, if used by developers, this allows the UI to automatically adapt to different screen sizes without the ugly banding we've seen when moving from 3.5" to 4" under iOS 6. Increasing the PPI is a whole other issue; It requires every non-vector image in the UI to be resized by the developer, or be upscaled and look blurry (remember the transition to retina displays). Maintaining the same PPI will make the transition to a bigger screen almost effortless for developers, thus improving the user experience.

That sounds plausible since I'm not a developer and didn't know of the auto-layout feature. Are you also up to date on the display tech itself? They are cut from larger plates, and the reason the iPhone got its size / dimensions is because of the optimal use of said plates. Any info on this? Perhaps SolipsismX can enlighten me?

This article has the following tiddybit:
    While different from the iPhone 5’s completely built-in design, the iPad mini also employs a capacitive touchscreen method called GF DITO to keep slim. Both displays are said to be more difficult, and thus more costly to produce. In addition, scaling the in-cell design past four inches is especially challenging for panel makers.

There was another article on the fabrication of these panels but in-spite of this site good search engine I cannot find it.
  • Reply 39 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

That sounds plausible since I'm not a developer and didn't know of the auto-layout feature. Are you also up to date on the display tech itself? They are cut from larger plates, and the reason the iPhone got its size / dimensions is because of the optimal use of said plates. Any info on this? Perhaps SolipsismX can enlighten me?

This article has the following tiddybit:

There was another article on the fabrication of these panels but in-spite of this site good search engine I cannot find it.

I have no clue about the current status of display tech. I can only talk dimensions from a developer / user experience point of view. Apple is the master of bending technologies just for user's experience sake, I would bet that if the math I've done is the same Apple is doing for a larger iPhone, they'll find a way to produce a display that size and resolution.

• Reply 40 of 57
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I have no clue about the current status of display tech. I can only talk dimensions from a developer / user experience point of view. Apple is the master of bending technologies just for user's experience sake, I would bet that if the math I've done is the same Apple is doing for a larger iPhone, they'll find a way to produce a display that size and resolution.

Buongiorno Luca. Thanks for this. I sure hope Apple is able to tell their providers how to make it as they themselves aren't a manufacturer per se.