BlackBerry sues Ryan Seacrest-backed Typo iPhone keyboard, alleges patent infringement [u]

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    So, does BB actually have some sort of design patent covering their keyboard? Actual legal protection?
  • Reply 42 of 57
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

As for this article, even though I've spoken a lot of trash about Blackberry before, and I still believe that they are doomed and virtually finished as a consumer company, that keyboard is a blatant copy of the Blackberry keyboard. So go ahead and sue Ryan Seacrest's ass.

• Reply 43 of 57
    several points of difference, more keys, different key profiles, (blackberry looks to have one rounded corner where the Ryan kb appears in the image at least to cut further down to one side of the key, and has no apparent shape on the space bar, maybe not as cut and dried as BB might think
  • Reply 44 of 57
    You gotta be kidding me. I had a BB and I made more mistakes using their BB keyboard. The keys were simply to small.
  • Reply 45 of 57
    Anyone used a BlackBerry keyboard? Most PATHETIC input method known to human kind and some flake from a TV show that means about as much to me as a festering ball of dog snot goes and tries to bring it to the Mac because he's too stupid to be able to type on a non-physical keyboard?

I can type just as fast and just as accurately on the iPhone keyboard as I can on a standard desktop/laptop keyboard but I am so inaccurate on a BlackBerry keyboard let alone one attached to an iPhone.
  • Reply 46 of 57
    Looking at the pics, I can clearly see the similarities. BB will make a couple of bucks from royalties off of this. And so will whoever buys up their patent portfolio when they go under.
  • Reply 47 of 57
    Layers of stupid:

1) Apple needs to provide a swype-style keyboard. The lack of swype is funny to Android users in the same way that Blackberry's keyboard is funny to iPhone users.

2) Nobody wants a hard keyboard. A year or two ago, there was still a niche market for it. Now there is not.

3) This will have no impact on Blackberry's business. Their costs of suing probably outweigh any revenue they stand to lose.
  • Reply 48 of 57
    Haha… blackberry is waisting there time and money again. And that keyboard was originally by palm. What a load
  • Reply 49 of 57
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member

BB is right to sue so 5 copies are not sold.  

I can't imagine anyone wanting one now.  Maybe in 2007...

• Reply 50 of 57
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member

It would be helpful if someone had included which patent(s) Blackberry says Typo is violating. I found an article from 2011 talking about a Blackberry patent (8224393 B2) for the Q10 but when I looked at it, the keyboard used two characters per key. The Typo keyboard is an industry standard qwerty layout with one character per key. RIM/Blackberry has a lot of patents and a quick search of the USPTO gave too many to review but I'm sure Typo will be able to find keyboard layout standards that preclude Blackberry from winning this suit.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=8224393.PN.&OS=PN/8224393&RS=PN/8224393

• Reply 51 of 57
    minicaptminicapt Posts: 219member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgeiP5 View Post

Haha… blackberry is waisting there time and money again. And that keyboard was originally by palm. What a load

The BlackBerry keyboard originated c.1996 on their BB Pager; Palm was just introducing their Graffiti pocket thingie.

Cheers

• Reply 52 of 57
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What did Obama copy from Blackberry nee RiM?

Incompetence?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That just continues the original thought for about half the country. 

60%.

• Reply 53 of 57
    Anyone used a BlackBerry keyboard? Most PATHETIC input method known to human kind and some flake from a TV show that means about as much to me as a festering ball of dog snot goes and tries to bring it to the Mac because he's too stupid to be able to type on a non-physical keyboard?

I can type just as fast and just as accurately on the iPhone keyboard as I can on a standard desktop/laptop keyboard but I am so inaccurate on a BlackBerry keyboard let alone one attached to an iPhone.

I prefer mechanical keyboards.

"I'd buy that for a dollar"
  • Reply 54 of 57
    Fighting over pocket change & possibly even negative profit. Ryan should just give BBRY 100% of the profits of his keyboard monstrosity.
  • Reply 55 of 57
    Typo !!!

With such a well-chosen brandname (which suggest that you can't type correctly on it), I guess they won't be selling too many of these keyboards.
  • Reply 56 of 57
    That's pretty blatent... I am sure the company did make a point to copy BB's keyboard...for obvious reasons... so they probably kenw this was coming..
  • Reply 57 of 57
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    stardustag wrote: »
    That's pretty blatent... I am sure the company did make a point to copy BB's keyboard...for obvious reasons... so they probably kenw this was coming..

"In our defense we thought Blackberry née RiM would have been out-of-business by now." :p