Apple reportedly acquires developer behind burst photo app SnappyCam

Comments

• Reply 41 of 91
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Bemused at i4software's responses.

I quite like his responses and appreciate he took the time to address the replies.
  • Reply 42 of 91
    hewsthat wrote: »
    Burst Mode exists in the 4S also. It may not be as fast as the 5S, but when i hold down the volume/shutter button it continues to take a ton of photos in fairly quick succession.

Curious how many 8MP photos you are averaging on the 4S. Use a stopwatch timer for 20 seconds and then divide.

Also, I will give you a free promo code for Fast Camera plus $50 it you can demonstrate that any other app can capture and save more 8MP images in 20 seconds than Fast Camera. This offer is only for you "hewsthat"
  • Reply 43 of 91
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    i4software wrote: »
    I think you are referring to video capture not 8MP full resolution photo capture. How many 8MP images (3,264 x 2,448) are you able to capture in 20 seconds on your 5S? Use a stopwatch timer and open one of the images to make sure it is that large. Fast Camera can do 480 in 20 seconds. SnappyCam's counter shows more but over half of the images are missing when you go to the review screen.

i4software variously claims 800 pictures per minute, 1200 picture per minute or 1,440 pictures per minute (according to iTunes and posts here).

All of the so-called reviews of the product didn't really review the product at all, instead reading like a corporate product promotion.

Aside from two or three video editing apps Fast Camera is apparently an impressive departure in development for a company known for producing flashlight apps, mirror apps and magnifying glass apps.
  • Reply 44 of 91
    i4software variously claims 800 pictures per minute, 1200 picture per minute or 1,440 pictures per minute (according to iTunes and posts here).

All of the so-called reviews of the product didn't really review the product at all, instead reading like a corporate product promotion.

Aside from two or three video editing apps Fast Camera is apparently an impressive departure in development for a company known for producing flashlight apps, mirror apps and magnifying glass apps.

Actually, our Vizzywig Video Editor App is widely considered the best mobile video editing app on any platform. Search YouTube for the GeekBeat TV coverage of Vizzywig. It won Best of Show at Macworld in 2012. It sells very well at a price point of $29.99 in a sea of free competitors.

Our Flashlight app is the #1 top grossing paid UTILITY app of all time with over 1.5 million sold at $0.99. It is still the top paid (ad-free) Flashlight app.

"Video Filters" and "Crop Your Videos" are the most capable apps in their niches.

Fast Camera has 7 million users and is currently in the top 25 top grossing photo apps in the U.S and many other countries worldwide ahead of Adobe Photoshop Express AND iPhoto.

The counts per minute depend upon device model, iOS version and whether it is front or rear camera.
  • Reply 45 of 91
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I quite like his responses and appreciate he took the time to address the replies.

Thanks. Email us for a free promo code. Just reference this thread and my post.
  • Reply 46 of 91
    Thanks. Email us for a free promo code. Just reference this thread and my post.

I appreciate it but I am not one to use my camera so it would be a waste on me.
  • Reply 47 of 91
    Gatorguy wrote, "Seems pretty upfront and honest, tho I still wouldn't allow his posts if I was moderating."

If it was just the one-off post that we tend to see with spam I'd agree, but his comments are candid, which includes creating an account that didn't hide the developer association.
  • Reply 48 of 91
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,564member
    Would you suggest allowing company representatives to freely comment on competitors products, only removing or banning them at some later time if found to be less than honest? That's a really slippery hill Soli. Even in this case the poster wasn't initially as upfront about his association as he should have been IMO. How would you go about deciding which ones should be allowed to proceed and which ones shouldn't? Which ones will turn out to be honest and which ones not?

I completely agree that the rep seems to be saying all the right things (BTW is he a sales rep, company owner, someone else?) but I believe the forum rules have something to say about companies using the site for promotional activities.
  • Reply 49 of 91
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    I think you are referring to video capture not 8MP full resolution photo capture. How many 8MP images (3,264 x 2,448) are you able to capture in 20 seconds on your 5S? Use a stopwatch timer and open one of the images to make sure it is that large. Fast Camera can do 480 in 20 seconds. SnappyCam's counter shows more but over half of the images are missing when you go to the review screen.

30 fps 8MP photos by holding down the shutter button ('burst mode' as advertised by Apple), referring to the claim in the article that: "Apple has reportedly acquired app developer SnappyLabs, the one-man company that created SnappyCam, a popular app that allowed users to take full-resolution pictures at 20 to 30 frames per second.".
    So no improvement, hence my question.
  • Reply 50 of 91
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Would you suggest allowing company representatives to freely comment on competitors products, only removing or banning them at some later time if found to be less than honest? That's a really slippery hill Soli.

I agree that it could get abused quite easily but I see no harm in AI creating a blanket rule only after there is a lowered ratio in the coefficient of friction upon a given graduated plane. :p
  • Reply 51 of 91
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

This is exactly what Apple needs to be doing now. Buy up the most innovative small companies that are making the best quality apps and either continue to sell them as stand alone apps or integrate their functions into the core of iOS.

Agreed, they got the technology and the talent.

It may be a double win because it looks as though the Android version of the app has also been withdrawn. Perhaps Apple want to build on what they've done with the 5S and make really fast burst photography an iOS discriminator (or at least a strength)?

• Reply 52 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Would you suggest allowing company representatives to freely comment on competitors products, only removing or banning them at some later time if found to be less than honest? That's a really slippery hill Soli. Even in this case the poster wasn't initially as upfront about his association as he should have been IMO. How would you go about deciding which ones should be allowed to proceed and which ones shouldn't? Which ones will turn out to be honest and which ones not?

I completely agree that the rep seems to be saying all the right things (BTW is he a sales rep, company owner, someone else?) but I believe the forum rules have something to say about companies using the site for promotional activities.

I think that's the benefit of having real humans moderating: I see the risk you're concerned about but, in this case, I found the messages quite interesting and candid. He's certainly set himself up for a fall if they're not truthful.

I do hope that someone with the promo code is able to report back with some experimental data.

• Reply 53 of 91
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent Bowry View Post

I suspect that it's more than fine-tuning with existing ideas, that there's a conceptual breakthrough in there. Otherwise, yes, Apple would and could simply do the same.

For comparison, the maths underlying WiFi was developed by scientists for radioastronomy. "The Australian radio-astronomer John O'Sullivan developed a key patent used in Wi-Fi as a by-product in a CSIRO research project, "a failed experiment to detect exploding mini black holes the size of an atomic particle"." (WP) The rest is lateral thinking.

This is something people in this country who profess free market capitalism is real that don't seem to grasp [Same folks who say the guberment can't create jobs], when it comes to technology advancing.

Most advances come from Academic/Federal/Government joint ventures with 99% of the funding coming from the Central Government.

• Reply 54 of 91
    knowitall wrote: »
    30 fps 8MP photos by holding down the shutter button ('burst mode' as advertised by Apple), referring to the claim in the article that: "Apple has reportedly acquired app developer SnappyLabs, the one-man company that created SnappyCam, a popular app that allowed users to take full-resolution pictures at 20 to 30 frames per second.".

Can you post the link where you read that Apple claims to be able to capture a sustained 30 highest res (8MP) photos per second in burst mode with the shutter button? Do you have access to a 5S?

I believe the official Apple 5S camera spec is 10fps.

However, SnappyCam never actually was able to achieve 20-30 8MP frames per second for 10 seconds. The counter on the camera view would show that frame rate but when you go to review, over half of the images are gone forever presumably lost or dropped due to memory constraints.
  • Reply 55 of 91
    knowitall wrote: »

Burst mode is only 10 shots per second with a maximum of 999 shots per run which I believe is 1m:39s.

I wonder if the SnappyCam algorithm or the developer's talent can also be used to improve the number of frames for the slo motion camera. 120fps is alright but I'd really like to see slo mo increased many more times past that in the next couple iterations.
  • Reply 56 of 91
    shardshard Posts: 96member
    Speed, images captured per second are just specs and numbers. What about the image quality? I mean, yay! App xyz can capture 100 frames a second! But the images all suck.

Anyway, we will probably never know why Apple bought SnappyLabs over another. Could actually be because it is a one man shop with only one app. They therefore don't need to pay more for extra baggage they don't need.
  • Reply 57 of 91
    shard wrote: »
    Speed, images captured per second are just specs and numbers. What about the image quality? I mean, yay! App xyz can capture 100 frames a second! But the images all suck.

Anyway, we will probably never know why Apple bought SnappyLabs over another. Could actually be because it is a one man shop with only one app. They therefore don't need to pay more for extra baggage they don't need.

Exactly! Image quality is everything. The 8MP images saved from Fast Camera are better quality as well. All of my claims here can be verified by anyone with both apps. I'll send you a free promo code if you don't have Fast Camera.

All I ask is that the testing is conducted scientifically with a stopwatch and a controlled identical environment. Open both images in Photoshop, zoom in on detail areas and see for yourself.

The question isn't why Apple bought Snappy Labs but why Snappy Labs decided to sell.
  • Reply 58 of 91
    cyniccynic Posts: 124member

Listen, I mean, fair enough, perhaps your claims are true, perhaps there's more to it than meets the eye, I don't really care that much to be honest.

However, I believe we've heard your argument multiple times over now and I believe for good order's sake and as a sign of respect, it's about time to stop pissing on other developers now, that's just bad style.

Fair enough, you pointed out your software is supposedly so much more capable and let it go. There are a myriad of reasons for why they got acquired and I believe the endless amount of optimised assembly for ARM has something to do with it.

Back to my point: I'm not sure you're gaining a lot of kudos by keeping on spitting into someone else's soup. Let it go, it's a matter of respect and an unwritten rule within this developer community. You just don't do that. Imagine how all popular tech sites and app reviews looked like if all devs would comment on competing products. I mean seriously, by all metrics you posted, you're so successful, you shouldn't need this kind of mud slinging either way.

Give it a break. ;-)

• Reply 59 of 91

Sounds like someone is jealous ;)  Did you guys do the code in assembly?

Assembly programmers are more sought after than Obj-C, assembly is the filter that separates the best from the rest. 

Im sure Apple doesn't care about SnappyCam itself, but the talent behind it. Optimizing code in assembly is something valuable, and with the dwindeling expertice on that field, its not a big surprise Apple accuires that talent. 

Edit: I posted this a bit late, the guy before me has a great answer..

• Reply 60 of 91
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Here's a feature request I made on the iPhone a while back:
    7/26/07 3:09 PM Dick Applebaum:
    The following enhancement would significantly improve the utility of the iPhone camera.

Allow taking a rapid sequence of pictures such as a player kicking a soccer ball... maybe press-hold the camera button with minimal delay between take/save--take/save--take/save, etc.

Sigh… I didn't have the expertise to do anything about it.

Wow, talk about prior art¡

Lol. Good thinking of you, 'back in the day'.

Marvin wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    This is surprising. I would expect Apple to be knowledgable enough to create the same tech on their own. Something doesn't click. Great news for Mr. Papandriopoulos though. (yes, that was a copy/paste action)

This is a common misconception when it comes to big businesses. They are just made up of many talented individuals. It seems that they have about 20,000 non-retail staff:

http://techcrunch.com/2011/10/09/apple-1000-engineers-chips/

This will be split between software engineers, hardware engineers, designers, marketing and so on. While someone within the portion of software engineers might well be capable of developing code to do this specific task, they clearly tried already and didn't manage to get it fast enough and this person has developed exactly the code they need.

It's much the same with Yahoo's purchase of Summly. Their developers probably could have come up with similar natural language processing algorithms but it's quicker to just buy something that exists and works already, especially when you are so flush with cash. A few million dollar buyout to a little guy is big money but to companies like Apple and Yahoo, it's a rounding error. Existing Apple staff might well have been able to develop FCP, Logic, Shake, iTunes, OS X but they didn't, they bought all of them.

They also get a lot of flack when they don't buy companies out like what happened with Dashboard and Sherlock.

All valid points. But I wouldn't want to compare OSX, FCP, Shake etc to a camera app. Still, I get what you're saying.

As for the # of SW/HW engineers at Apple, I believe the number to be around 8,000. There have been some articles on this, though never I this site AFAIK.
    solipsismx wrote: »
    120fps is alright but I'd really like to see slo mo increased many more times past that in the next couple iterations.

Amen to that. But realistically I don't think this will happen anytime soon. Just look at what a professional camera costs that can do over a thousand fps. Plus I believe there to be many factors dealing with such a vast amount of data, like, of who am I kidding, these factors you know already!

Perhaps they could 'speed up' the process of capturing a high fps by only recording the changes to each photo after the first fully saved one. They can then re-create the following shots by replacing the pixels that differ from the first shot. Kind of a 'the more the subject changes the slower the fps are going to be'.