Fingerprint sensor "forgetting" fingerprints

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    It's happening to my phone also. I register my print and my phone forgets it within a day. I'm presuming that there will be a software update soon
  • Reply 22 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by QwertyJuan View Post

Maybe you're just holding it wrong?

Quit cleaning your sensor...you're wiping your prints off. :p

• Reply 23 of 37
    I have the same problem, my iPhone 5S soon forgets my fingerprints and stops recognizing my thumb. I only hold my phone with my right hand so only use my thumb. Sounds like the thumbprints are the ones easily forgotten, unfortunate for me. :-)

I'm glad I found this thread and won't try to exchange my phone.
  • Reply 24 of 37

+1 for this thread. I'm having the same exact problem. But surprisingly, I'm not seeing any other threads online about this "forgetting fingerprints" issue. This seems to be the only one, and not very many people are posting here, which makes me wonder if we're dealing with a general software issue or defective sensors on specific phones. Would like to hear what others have to say about this, or of other threads on this problem if they exist. 

• Reply 25 of 37

Yes, it makes me wonder too. I also have the issue that it seems to work less and less over time. I'm also thinking it has something to do with the sensor itself or the software. I have an HP laptop with a fingerprint reader that I setup four years ago and it has never failed. If it is a software issue, then Apple will likely correct it in a future release as long as enough of us make noise. If it's hardware related, then I guess we'll have to wait for the iPhone 6 to get it corrected...

• Reply 26 of 37
    Originally Posted by hwdoughty View Post

Yes, it makes me wonder too. I also have the issue that it seems to work less and less over time. I'm also thinking it has something to do with the sensor itself or the software. I have an HP laptop with a fingerprint reader that I setup four years ago and it has never failed. If it is a software issue, then Apple will likely correct it in a future release as long as enough of us make noise. If it's hardware related, then I guess we'll have to wait for the iPhone 6 to get it corrected...

Nice false concern.

• Reply 27 of 37
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

There have been people experiencing the same issue. Just go on Apple support pages. I haven't had any problem myself. But you have either a faulty unit, or maybe some configurations of print or skin types work less than others.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/23989897?ac_cid=tw123456#23989897

I don't think that 39 pages of forum indicates that it's a huge problem, but it might appear for a small percentage of people, which is, understandably, annoying. It should 'just work'. For me it was the case. Re-register your prints slowly without cleaning your fingers before in order to avoid removing moisture.

What you are describing is a pretty odd problem though. Try changing your unit.

• Reply 28 of 37

The same thing has been happening to me!! I have had my iphone 5s for less than a month and I thought that I had a defective one.  I have been on the phone with technical support for more times than I would like to admit.  One of the support teams said that it was because I did not have deep enough ridge detail (which at first I kind of believed), but then I remember that like you, I would reset and it would be perfect all over again.  Then much to my surprise....it would stop reading it again!!!  I am beyond frustration!

• Reply 29 of 37

I have exactly the same problem!!!  Apple when are we going to get a fix for this....Awesome when it works.

• Reply 30 of 37

Same problem.  I had to try 3 different phones at the Apple store before I could get fingerprint to even be accepted.  Now, my fingerprints work for 24-48 hours perfectly and then it deteriorates to not working at all within another day.  It is a great feature but actually is worse than the old 4 digit passkey because it is so unreliable.  Apple- what is going on?

• Reply 31 of 37

This doesn't explain why it forgets both my fingerprints I enter....It has to be a problem with the phone.  Why does it always work perfectly for 24-48 hours if there is some kind of problem with my specific fingerprint?

• Reply 32 of 37
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Badgerbackeruk View Post

Apple- what is going on?

The software is working as intended.

Originally Posted by Badgerbackeruk View Post

This doesn't explain why it forgets both my fingerprints I enter....It has to be a problem with the phone.

Except if you’d read anything, you’d see it’s designed to do this.

• Reply 33 of 37

I have read things but are you seriously saying  that $xxmillion 5S users are re-inputting their fingerprints every 24-48 hours and that is what the phone is designed to do?  I have spoken to Apple and they do not think my situation is at all normal and are putting it down to a repair job....

• Reply 34 of 37
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    The software is working as intended.

Except if you’d read anything, you’d see it’s designed to do this.
    No it isn't. It should only forget the fingerprint if the phone isn't unlocked in 48 hours, or is rebooted. The phone shouldn't just spontaneously forget the print after 48 hours of regular use.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    crowley wrote: »
    No it isn't. It should only forget the fingerprint if the phone isn't unlocked in 48 hours, or is rebooted. The phone shouldn't just spontaneously forget the print after 48 hours of regular use.

Exactly, and the way I understand it, even then it doesn't "forget" the fingerprint. It just requires the passcode to unlock it.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    This may seem funny but try washing your hands, the finger scan is very sensitive and the excessive dirt from your fingers may be interfering with it recognizing u. It worked for me
  • Reply 37 of 37
    tikkitimetikkitime Posts: 1member

My fingerprint sensor worked just fine.....until I downloaded the upgrade. I've tried to rescan, but it will only unlock with the passcode. Frustrating.