New Mac Pro's processor reportedly user-upgradeable

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    comleycomley Posts: 139member
  • Reply 22 of 30
    comleycomley Posts: 139member
    According to iFixit
    Mac Pro Late 2013 Repairability Score: 8 out of 10 (10 is easiest to repair)
    For being so compact, the design is surprisingly modular and easy to disassemble. Non-proprietary Torx screws are used throughout, and several components can be replaced independently.
    The easily-opened case is designed to make RAM upgrades a snap.
    The fan is easy to access and replace.
    While it will require a bit of digging, the CPU is user-replaceable—meaning intrepid fixers should be able to save considerably by upgrading from the base-level processor configuration.
    There is no room, or available port, for adding your own internal storage. Apple has addressed this with heaps of Thunderbolt, but we'd personally rather use the more widely compatible SATA if we could.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    "I find it really silly that this is news. "

So do I, and I blame both AppleInsider & Mac Pro. AppleInsider for posting this and Apple for making the Mac Pro, which automatically forces me to click through to read anything new about my dream machine, no matter how minute the new story is, like I'm some sort of a pavlovian dog.

Shame on you both. My attorney will be in contact, court proceedings can be easily avoided by shipment of one (1) new Mac Pro to my office.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    the result is an increase of 30% in processing power! Thats the reason people are buying Mac pros: processing power.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Hill View Post

"I find it really silly that this is news. "

So do I, and I blame both AppleInsider & Mac Pro. AppleInsider for posting this and Apple for making the Mac Pro, which automatically forces me to click through to read anything new about my dream machine, no matter how minute the new story is, like I'm some sort of a pavlovian dog.

Shame on you both. My attorney will be in contact, court proceedings can be easily avoided by shipment of one (1) new Mac Pro to my office.

I find it really silly your first post was worthless and that it took 3 months for you to come up with nothing. As for your lame attempt at a joke, suggesting legal action against anyone is something you need to be careful about as is criticizing AI and somehow blaming a computer for the posting when your post wasn't worth reading.

Yes I did read it and took offense to it, which is why I posted my comment.

• Reply 26 of 30

My apologies. I will have my attorney also demand a fresh pair of panties to compensate for the ones you were forced to bunch so severely.

• Reply 27 of 30
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

I find it really silly your first post was worthless and that it took 3 months for you to come up with nothing. As for your lame attempt at a joke, suggesting legal action against anyone is something you need to be careful about as is criticizing AI and somehow blaming a computer for the posting when your post wasn't worth reading.

Yes I did read it and took offense to it, which is why I posted my comment.

Pretty good joke there. :D

• Reply 28 of 30
    ecsecs Posts: 307member
    I find this article meaningful, and I share OWC views that the CPU is user upgradeable, because when you hear "user upgradeable" you don't expect to be able to upgrade to a next generation component which comes with a new interface incompatible with the previous generation.

If the new Mac Pro was like the older one, upgrading to a next generation CPU would also imply throwing its whole motherboard to the trashcan (or maybe you can put the latest Xeon on your 2006 Mac Pro?

I find the new Mac Pro very user friendly in terms of replacing parts. From what I'm reading these days, it seems it's very user friendly in terms of repairing and upgrading.

With this openness maybe we"ll see NVIDIA offering a dual GPU solution for this Mac Pro, although I guess it won't be cheap.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by ecs View Post

If the new Mac Pro was like the older one, upgrading to a next generation CPU would also imply throwing its whole motherboard to the trashcan (or maybe you can put the latest Xeon on your 2006 Mac Pro?

No (exactly like you said before), but you CAN upgrade the processor on every model. 

• Reply 30 of 30
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    ecs wrote: »
    With this openness maybe we"ll see NVIDIA offering a dual GPU solution for this Mac Pro, although I guess it won't be cheap.

The GPUs need to be stuck to the heat-sink with thermal paste. I very much doubt NVidia will offer an internal solution. NVidia GPUs do work externally over Thunderbolt though:

http://mediapros.co.uk/portfolio-view/thunderbolterizer/

Now that it's Thunderbolt 2, a Quadro 4000 or higher should run just fine in something like a Sonnet box.