Analyst predicts Apple will transform notebook market with 12-inch hybrid 'iPad Pro' this fall

Comments

• Reply 201 of 236
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

What I don't understand is why it would be delivered in the fall.

If the EDU market is a primary target, the product would have to be delivered by June, at least, or miss an entire school year.

Not necessarily. We buy things throughout the school year all the time. There isn't enough time in the summer to always get things like this done so its not super important to get it ordered only July 1st when the new school year kicks in. I just deployed a new MacBook Pro lab a couple of weeks ago. Its not really a big deal if you have your stuff together. 

• Reply 202 of 236
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

To some degree I agree with you...  except for one thing...

... all second place finishers only have half the skill (or less) of Cook.

I'd like to see your list of first place finishers.

I too would be interested to see who exactly is a better fit at Apple. People like to bitch, nobody has the solution though. 

• Reply 203 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

Samsung Mafia Boss: Troops, time to start your copy-machines .... make it 13-inch though!

Apple's the one cranking up its copy machines if this prediction is correct.  Other makers have already released larger tablets and Samsung is expected to announce a 12.2" tablet at CES in a couple of hours: http://ces.cnet.com/8301-35302_1-57616677/samsung-galaxy-tab-pro-tablets-revealed-via-new-images/

For that matter, your line of "thinking" also implies that Apple used its copy machines when it made the iPad mini after seeing the success of the 7-inch Android tablets.

Fact it, innovation comes from many companies, not just Apple.  They have a great product in their mini iPad and I'm glad they made it despite people like you who freak out whenever something gets "copied" from another manufacturer.

• Reply 204 of 236
    st88st88 Posts: 124member

The competition has already struck.

ASUS just announced their TD300  2-in-1 starting at $599.

It uses a 4th generation (Haswell) Intel Core CPU and runs BOTH Android and Windows.

With the touch of a button it can switch between the two OS' in 4 seconds.

• Reply 205 of 236
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Great, now I can easily work out which OS I dislike most!
  • Reply 206 of 236
    st88st88 Posts: 124member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Great, now I can easily work out which OS I dislike most!

Of course.

OS aside though, it just shows that the $599+ price range is Intel's Core CPU territory.  So I would expect Apple's A8 to have to face off with a Broadwell CPU. 

• Reply 207 of 236
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Apple's the one cranking up its copy machines if this prediction is correct.  Other makers have already released larger tablets and Samsung is expected to announce a 12.2" tablet at CES in a couple of hours: http://ces.cnet.com/8301-35302_1-57616677/samsung-galaxy-tab-pro-tablets-revealed-via-new-images/

For that matter, your line of "thinking" also implies that Apple used its copy machines when it made the iPad mini after seeing the success of the 7-inch Android tablets.

Fact it, innovation comes from many companies, not just Apple.  They have a great product in their mini iPad and I'm glad they made it despite people like you who freak out whenever something gets "copied" from another manufacturer.

Oh please. The 10" iPad was first and any offshoot of that is not copying. What success of 7" Android tablets.

The only reason other have released >10" tablets is because they can't compete with the iPad. Sammy released larger ones because that's its shotgun approach of the product family.
  • Reply 208 of 236
    Being beaten to the punch in releasing a form factor doesn't equate to copying. Copying is a deliberate act. Some people really need to get that concept through their skulls.
  • Reply 209 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crapplingpain View Post

Alright .... Troops, for now make it 12.2!!! ROFLMO

My friend, on the same note and from your link:

A photo of an incomplete Samsung billboard at the 2014 CES mentions the Tab Pro along with the Galaxy Note Pro, seemingly Samsung's first official hint of the new devices.

You see, samsung is sooooo good at copying and QUICK! It's so easy for a company like samsung to come up with some quick and dirty prototype calling it .... we did it first and it's the next f****ng big thing .... same as their stupid smart watch!

And, that's the ONLY thing they're good at. Fast Copy Machines!

• Reply 210 of 236
    crowley wrote: »
    Being beaten to the punch in releasing a form factor doesn't equate to copying. Copying is a deliberate act. Some people really need to get that concept through their skulls.

Exactly. Tell that to Disturbia who thinks that just because Apple might make a larger iPad then any similarly large Android tablet is the result of copying that move. He's the one who thinks changing the screen size is some kind of unique innovation that no other company would do first, all available evidence to the contrary, of course.
  • Reply 211 of 236
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

There's a reason the current iPad was renamed iPad Air, and the current MacBook Airs don't have retina displays. Apple has something cooking. But if Apple comes out with a hybrid device after Tim Cook has been shitting on them for the past two years then I think we'll know its time for Tim to go.

You mean like the way Jobs used to do before releasing something?  Nah.

• Reply 212 of 236
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

You mean like the way Jobs used to do before releasing something?  Nah.

So… everyone on Earth is now magically a gorilla, and that changed in the last few years, did it?

• Reply 213 of 236
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

Touch optimized OS X is called iOS; they both have the same OS underneath slightly different UIs.

No problem to have Universal apps that besides an iPhone and iPad touch mode have a desktop/keyboard mode; e.g the core engine of Pages is the same everywhere only the UI has to switch between desktop and touch mode depending on device setup/status.

Totally doable without sacrificing the user experience, just like the same app can switch between iPad and iPhone modes.

You'd have to buildout another UI as if it were OSX but that would allow your app to be sold in the Mac App Store as well with a simple recompile.

A 12" iPad Pro with keyboard+trackpad (and mouse support) would be nice.  A 13" MBA hybrid heavenly.

The issue is always the transition between modes…thus far I like the XPS 12 the best.

• Reply 214 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So… everyone on Earth is now magically a gorilla, and that changed in the last few years, did it?

Apple has a proven track record of being able to effect such changes. Then again I recall you poo-poo'd many of Apple's changes over the years.  Like the iPad Mini. 

Quote:

I maintain that I think it's a completely idiotic decision. I maintain that I see no benefit to it whatsoever. I also think it may be shortly discontinued and Cook and Co. thoroughly (and quite overly, though not incorrectly) blamed for a "bad choice".

So much for that.  The iPad Mini in its second incarnation is a no compromise brilliant tablet.

• Reply 215 of 236
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

Apple has a proven track record of being able to effect such changes.

What changes, making people think that physically impossible things are possible? 

Funny that a rabid fanboi like yourself lack faith.

“New is easy. Better is hard.”

no compromise

IT’S AN EIGHT INCH SCREEN. You can’t type on it, you can’t work on it; “no compromise”?! Are you mental?

• Reply 216 of 236
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

What changes, making people think that physically impossible things are possible? 

I don't think the concept of adding touch-screen to a notebook is impossible, just not currently practical. If it added minimal cost to exist as a secondary means of interaction, that wouldn't be so bad. I mentioned the concept of one that could fold back, assuming the design would accommodate keyboard protection. That might be a little un-Apple given the possible hinge designs and methods of dealing with the keyboard. I'm not sure that keyboards without some kind of action are a great idea, because it's difficult to think of applying pressure with no range of motion over a long period of time. Someone has probably studied the topic though. Marvin mentioned the concept of a double sided display where the reverse side could be active when it's closed.

The one thing I don't think is practical is the concept of a front facing machine where the primary means of interaction involves reaching out. As a secondary means it could placate some of the people who always want to point to something on the screen when interacting with others. That is why I mentioned minimal cost. At high cost such a feature may not be worth it beyond gimmicky appeal.

• Reply 217 of 236
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Did everyone see the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4":

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/37034/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

Portrait orientation, 8" screen, slimmer side bezels. Now I know it's just a rectangle but it looks so iconic and familiar, yet at the same time such a basic and obvious shape. Could they have copied it from somewhere I wonder. Oh that's it, they copied LG:

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/37035/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

I'm sure LG's one is unique though, or they'll have made a photo frame in the 90s that has the same shape.
  • Reply 218 of 236
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I'm sure LG's one is unique though, or they'll have made a photo frame in the 90s that has the same shape.

The curvature on the Samsung one is different. In fact, it follows Apple closer than LG, but it’d be great to see LG sue Samsung over it.

We need a corporation-wide product ban on Samsung in this country. 

• Reply 219 of 236
    The interface on the Note looks kinda Windows Mobiley. Tiles.
  • Reply 220 of 236
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

The curvature on the Samsung one is different. In fact, it follows Apple closer than LG, but it’d be great to see LG sue Samsung over it.

We need a corporation-wide product ban on Samsung in this country. 

You know that would impact the economy in Texas right? It would also cause problems for Apple due to some of their components originating there.