Samsung races against rumors of an Apple 'iPad Pro' with two new 12-inch tablets

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    tundraboy wrote: »
    Aah, you just described the Surface.  I don't think Apple is going to release anything Surface-like soon or in the next 200 years.

The surface? No, totally different beast.

The surface is a device with windows 97 UI trying to pretend that it has been designed to be used as a tablet.

If Microsoft has bothered to re-think and re-work the UI of the Surface, they may have a market for Surface.
    Unfortunately, Microsoft senior management don't get it.

With IPAD 12", I already know lots of people who will be keen to buy it.

People who need to do a lot of reading and people who want to use the ipad as a notebook replacement.
    These are people who love the IPAD, don't need to bring it around and wish for a bigger screen.

Lots of people prefer bigger screens. That was how the PC monitor started out at 14" and how the mainstream monitor is now more than 20".

There are people who want their tablets to be mobile and will stick with 8" and 10". Then there are many who want bigger screens.

If the IPAD pro can be as thin and well-balanced structurally like the IPAD Air, I will buy one personally.
  • Reply 22 of 63
    PRO!! First! We got PRO first!!! We just pwnd you, stupid Apple.

It says Pro, so it's Pro%u2026. just believe us.
  • Reply 23 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Aah, you just described the Surface.  I don't think Apple is going to release anything Surface-like soon or in the next 200 years.

Agreed. I like to keep my Apple devices "naked." If I do have an accessory it usually is made by Apple, SmartCover (iPads), MagicTrackPad/BTKB (iMac), etc.

One non-Apple accessory I do like is the Mophie battery case. I had one with my iP3GS. I didn't use it everyday (too big), but it was wonderful when flying.

I could use my iPhone on the plane stress-free, knowing I had the "juice" when I landed to make calls. The one for the 5s looks nice and thinner.

Best.

• Reply 24 of 63
    mknoppmknopp Posts: 257member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

It's highly unlikely that Apple will bring out a larger iPad. I don't see the practical reason.

Dunno we'll see...

The most obvious market that I see is artist. Given the advances that have been made lately in pressure sensitive capacitive pens a 12-13" iPad would be great for artist.

It also might be better for kiosk (I have been to one museum that had iPads scattered around as informational kisoks) or point-of-sale systems (there are a couple of stores in my area that use iPads for their POS systems), or sound boards (a coworker uses a Mac and iPad for his recording studio).

A larger iPad wouldn't be for portable functions, but for those functions where more real estate would be good.

Now, that being said. This extra real estate really only becomes available if the screen is not just bigger but also has more pixels. Otherwise, it is just like the iPad Air to the iPad Mini. It doesn't really give any more real estate it just makes the parcels bigger.

• Reply 25 of 63

What sets Apple apart from Samsung (there are lots of things of course) is that Apple is great at marketing the user experience with any particular product.  Just making a big (or small) tablet isn't ground-breaking.  Figuring out how the consumer uses it is where Apple really shines.  

It also doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that a tablet line might be comprised of a small (phablet), medium and large format offering.  They might all do the same basic things, but as the initial reviews of the Samsung 12" tablets are pointing out, going bigger may create negative experiences due to weight and inability to type on screen.  It's the same going smaller - you may gain some benefits like weight and pocket ability, but then the screen might be too small for something like web viewing.

Since I got my 13" mba back in 2011, I thought the screen size and format would be perfect for a tablet, if it could be as thin and light as the screen itself is.  Obviously that's not possible at this point, so perhaps going bigger with an iPad "Pro" for Apple won't make sense this year.

• Reply 26 of 63
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    mknopp wrote: »
    I don't think it is obvious at all. I may not like Samsung as a company. And I might think that their idea of innovation is a joke, but one thing that they are very good at is turning out a "finished" product (at least finished for them) very fast.

I am with everyone else here. This is a blatant and sad attempt by Samsung to say that they did a 12" tablet before Apple.

I still think that Apple should release rumors of their new upcoming toilet, just to see how long it takes Samsung to announce their own toilet.
    But we didn't start hearing rumors about a larger iPad until late last year. I don't think Samsung is that fast at cranking something out, especially with a new custom UI. Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if they released it earlier than planned once these larger iPad rumors started surfacing.
  • Reply 27 of 63
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Plenty of good reasons to do a watch.

You know, I thought the same thing. And then they redesigned the iPod nano again. 

And I’m like, you guys, you had it. That was it. That was right. Put Bluetooth inside it and you already have your watch. Listen to music via Bluetooth from the iPod, save that room on your iPhone for apps.

What could it possibly be now? As a standalone product, it doesn’t have enough utility to be worth its existence. What, it’s just to be a Bluetooth conduit for your iPhone? That’s an accessory, not a product in its own right.

• Reply 28 of 63

I'm glad Apple doesn't "rush things to market." It just seems fraught with unnecessary, self-inflicted  problems and the end result is a crappy product(s).

And yet Samsung, Google, HP, Sony, MS, etc., continue with this so-called strategy. They have more foreskin than foresight! :)

I like SJ's take. He said, "In Tech, you have to be 10 years ahead of the competition. Apple is now 5 years ahead." I think this was said around the intro of the iPad (not sure tho!)

Apple is light years ahead in the "eco-system" paradigm. 

Both in OS/SW, syncing all devices and Hardware integration! :) 

The Google, MS and Samsung engineers are coding like their wearing boxing gloves! Oh, the crap they are releasing.

Best.

• Reply 29 of 63
    Wow, Samsung is aggressive!
    Is this a reflection of the routine 16-hour daily studying regime to which South Korean kids are subject I wonder?
  • Reply 30 of 63
  • Reply 31 of 63
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Does Sammy have any original UI ideas? Once again, Sammy has the shotgun approach to design.
  • Reply 32 of 63
    Its good that Apple competitors are creating products based on Apple rumors. When and if Apple does release competitive products, Apple will have had the first crack at what their competitors think the customers want, and design around them, bring to market a likely better product.

Apple will patent new features that the competitors don't have, and then we all get to watch Apple competitors ditch their own products to make Apple-look-alikes.
  • Reply 33 of 63
    mknoppmknopp Posts: 257member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

But we didn't start hearing rumors about a larger iPad until late last year. I don't think Samsung is that fast at cranking something out, especially with a new custom UI. Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if they released it earlier than planned once these larger iPad rumors started surfacing.

If they had announced that these things were going to be ready for sale today then I would agree with you, but all that we saw were single devices which might be little more than advanced prototypes (something that can easily be pumped out in less than a month). As for the UI, I haven't seen it in action, but from the pictures and description it sounds like little more than displaying existing UI elements into different "windows" or regions of the larger screen. Even I could pull that off in less than a month and I am not a computer engineer, much less an entire department of computer engineers.

Again, if they had shown a completely new design for UI that was more than displaying existing UI into small regions or if they had announced that manufacturing was progressed to the point that the devices would be widely available now or very, very soon, I would agree with you. However, with what we were shown and more importantly what we were not told (release date or price), I don't think that this product is anywhere as far along as Samsung wants us to believe.

Then again, I could be wrong.

• Reply 34 of 63

How about an Apple AirPad?  It would be a MacBookAir with detachable screen. Detach the keyboard and it switches to iOS and touchscreen use. Re-attach the keyboard, and it switches back to MacOS, synchs both storage media, deactivates the touch sensor, and charges the battery in the screen.  Serves multiple purposes!

• Reply 35 of 63
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Hopefully Apple will do better than just make a bigger tablet. Something that make use of the 64 bit A7 or A8, a lot more ram, cover with keyboard all in something lightweight.

That being said, I am getting tired of waiting on Apple for an upgraded Apple TV.   Give me something with the A7, apps and games, game controls, support for 4k video. This is by far the product I want the most in 2014.

• Reply 36 of 63
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Something that make use of the 64 bit A7

Oh, like every product that already uses it?

That being said, I am getting tired of waiting on Apple for an upgraded Apple TV. Give me something with the A7… …support for 4k video. This is by far the product I want the most in 2014.

Yep.

• Reply 37 of 63
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris-the-Photographer View Post

PRO!! First! We got PRO first!!! We just pwnd you, stupid Apple.

It says Pro, so it's Pro%u2026. just believe us.

You do realise that Apple copied the term 'Pro' from Samsung?

Samsung Omnia Pro B7610  - 2010

/s

• Reply 38 of 63
    What we should do is imagine a ludicrous device... an iToilet perhaps? and then spread the rumor that we heard from a "reliable source" that Apple plans on releasing it in early 2015. And then see how long Samesung takes to announce their Galaxy Toilet (paper) Pro
    :)
    KRR
  • Reply 39 of 63
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Well, that’s complete nonsense.

How? People said this about the iPhone mini.

I suggest the name changed to iPwn since they're killing everyone else.
  • Reply 40 of 63
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Apple is light years ahead in the "eco-system" paradigm. 

The reason that it's light years ahead is because it was started so long ago with iTunes and music. Every new device built upon that foundation into new digital markets. People have amassed large music libraries of which much isn't DRM free. I just can't see another competitor ever being able to offer what Apple does and be successful.