Signal announces 'RP One' full-size Bluetooth game controller for Apple's iOS devices

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Mobile accessory maker Signal entered the quickly-expanding Made for iPhone game controller race Tuesday with the RP One, a "pro style" controller that connects to Apple's iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch over Bluetooth.

Signal RP One

The RP One sports an understated black-and-silver color scheme and takes advantage of Apple's "extended" controller layout option with action buttons, shoulder triggers, thumbsticks and a single directional pad. Signal says the RP One is "the first full-scale controller designed specifically for the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch," indicating that the controller is closer in size to an Xbox or PlayStation unit than the smaller, portable devices released thus far.

Consumers purchasing an RP One will also receive a universal stand designed to prop up any of Apple's mobile devices, even while the handset or tablet is wrapped in a cover or case. A built-in Lithium Ion battery is said to power the RP One for up to 10 hours.

Signal is the second company to unveil an MFi-certified Bluetooth controller at this year's Consumer Electronics Show after PC peripheral manufacturer SteelSeries unwrapped their new Stratus controller on Monday. Like the RP One, the Stratus uses Apple's "extended" configuration and features a built-in battery good for 10 hours of play time.

Signal says the RP One will be available in the first half of 2014 for $99.99, the same suggested retail pricing chosen by the category's other players.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Microsoft might have something to say about their controller design… and name.

• Reply 2 of 20
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    One price to rule them all.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I've never used any sort of Bluetooth game controller before, but are they good enough for games?

What is the latency with this Bluetooth controller? Is it any slower compared to native control? I have read about some Bluetooth speakers having latency, so that's why I'm asking about the controller. If there's one thing that I hate in devices and controllers, it's latency. 

When playing certain games, every millisecond counts, and you need to blast your opponents before they blast you.

• Reply 4 of 20
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member

Whats up this year. All I been hearing about these add-on Keyboards, and Game controllers, battery/memory extenders...sure takes away from SJ's original vision. I love my touch keyboard and touch controls.

• Reply 5 of 20
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    The layout is more like the PS controller, so don't see what cause Microsoft have to complain. I strongly doubt they have a trademark claim over AB and XY buttons or the "One" suffix especially since Nintendo use the same labels for buttons, and everyone and his cat has used the One suffix (HTC, Palm, Sony, Mini)
  • Reply 6 of 20
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    dimmok wrote: »
    Whats up this year. All I been hearing about these add-on Keyboards, and Game controllers, battery/memory extenders...sure takes away from SJ's original vision. I love my touch keyboard and touch controls.

I never met a touch control I didn't love . . .
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I've never used any sort of Bluetooth game controller before, but are they good enough for games?

What is the latency with this Bluetooth controller? Is it any slower compared to native control? I have read about some Bluetooth speakers having latency, so that's why I'm asking about the controller. If there's one thing that I hate in devices and controllers, it's latency. 

When playing certain games, every millisecond counts, and you need to blast your opponents before they blast you.

The PlayStation 3 controller uses bluetooth when connected to a PlayStation 3... latency is probably not something you need to worry about.  

• Reply 8 of 20
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

The layout is more like the PS controller, so don't see what cause Microsoft have to complain. I strongly doubt they have a trademark claim over AB and XY buttons or the "One" suffix especially since Nintendo use the same labels for buttons, and everyone and his cat has used the One suffix (HTC, Palm, Sony, Mini)

Xbox Controller

PS Controller.

I'd say it's more Xbox-like than PS.  Granted i like that the Xbox controller has a joy pad at the upper left over the PS, as you described it. But I can easily see how MS would not appreciate the design queues here.

• Reply 9 of 20
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    $99.

Insane.

A PS4 Dual Shock 4 controller is $60 and superior at that.

Same goes for the excellent XBONE controller as well.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    D-pad is more PS like. The contours are a bit more Xboxy, but overall it sits squarely between them, not really enough like either one to be grounds for any singular accusations of copying.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

You obviously do not play first person shooters.

Some games are fine with touch controls (Angry Birds).

But some are absolutely wretched.

• Reply 12 of 20
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by msantti View Post

You obviously do not play first person shooters.

Some games are fine with touch controls (Angry Birds).

But some are absolutely wretched.

Sure do....on my PS4. I recommend KILL ZONE.

• Reply 13 of 20
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eonaeon View Post

The PlayStation 3 controller uses bluetooth when connected to a PlayStation 3... latency is probably not something you need to worry about.  

That's good to know, thanks. The last Playstation that I tried was PS 2.

• Reply 14 of 20
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Microsoft might have something to say about their controller design… and name.

Not sure about the name, but the shape seems androgynous enough. They're all pretty much the same, except for so go subtle differences, such as the length of the handles and such.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    apple ][ wrote: »

According to Tough arcade! when reviewing the steel case controller! there is no perceptible latency from BT.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    dimmok wrote: »

I'm not sure Steve had anything against game controllers per se. People like to talk about how he hated the idea of a stylus too. But when I bought my first iPad, back in may of 2010, the first day the cell version came out, I was asked, in the Apple store if I wanted a stylus, which I promptly bought. No one can say that .steve was so against the idea that he prevented their sales directly from Apple. He just didn't want the devices to be requiring them for most uses.

I would imagine the same thing to be true for game controllers. It's just that Apple didn't seem to see a need for them in the beginning. But with iOS gaming becoming such a major force, the need is here. Many of us were saying that apple should have had API's for this in the beginning.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    antkm1 wrote: »

It looks sufficiently different to me.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    msantti wrote: »
    $99.

Insane.

A PS4 Dual Shock 4 controller is $60 and superior at that.

Same goes for the excellent XBONE controller as well.

This is the first gen controllers. We have to see how well they sell, and how much game support they garner. I imagine a that a second gen bunch of products will come down in price. I read in touch arcade that he thinks Apple is setting prices for these controllers, in exchange for the ability to do whatever developers must do to get Apple's endorsement as an official iOS product. Maybe, but I'm not so sure as to why Apple would want such high prices for these as they must know it will cut sales back.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    emesemes Posts: 239member

Silver and black, huh? Make it an aluminum unibody and it could look like it was made by Apple

• Reply 20 of 20
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member

A 360 controller clone is exactly what I wanted. Now, for good games to support it.

And still 100 dollars, seriously, what is it with iOS game controllers?