Samsung races against rumors of an Apple 'iPad Pro' with two new 12-inch tablets

Comments

• Reply 41 of 63
    It's absurd to think that this was developed in response to the [B]recent[/B] rumors of an iPad Pro. You don't design a product like this in a month. You don't design a new UI to go along with it in a month. The only thing that might have happened in response to the iPad Pro rumors is the name Galaxy Tab/Note [B]Pro[/B].

I'm almost surprised that, knowing how Samsung releases products in every possible size category, any of you think this is in response to Apple. And then I remember how some of you get jealous when Apple isn't first with something.
  • Reply 42 of 63
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

It doesn't make a difference if Samsung releases a one inch tablet or a hundred inch tablet. It's all crap, still running Android, with Samsung's bastardized customizations on top.

• Reply 43 of 63
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I suggest the name changed to iPwn since they're killing everyone else.

• Reply 44 of 63
    I wonder if the rumors generated regarding the 12/13" touchscreen being sourced by Apple has been misinterpreted to be simply an iPad Maxi.

Perhaps its more logical, that the Macbook Air 11" will receive a detachable touchscreen (in essence an iPad Air 2) and that the Macbook Air 13" will receive a detachable touchscreen (in essence an iPad Maxi). Thus a new direction for the plug/play ecosystem where you can start with an Macbook Air 13" which includes the iPad Maxi, or buy the Maxi on its own and later add the other half of the clamshell (in essence the keyboard, A7, SDD and onboard RAM.)

Bundle this with a Mavericks/iOS aggregated OS environment and you have something earth-shattering.

Imagine replacing your Air bottom clamshell with a Pro bottom (A8, Big SDD and more RAM), without replacing the Retina touchscreen.
  • Reply 45 of 63
    A larger iPad with OSX will be nice, actually.
  • Reply 46 of 63
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Joseph Byun View Post

Nope. 

• Reply 47 of 63
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    kent909 wrote: »
    I just love the way companies chase these rumors. Especially the watch. I personally believe Apple is not going to do a watch and if they do a 12" tablet it will be a new product and not an iPad.

I believe you are wrong on both counts.

A 12" iPad Pro would be a big hit if priced right. An iWatch would be a huge mistake in my mind.

Why will the iWatch be a problem? I just don't see the attraction of wearing such a device if it can't completely replace the cell phone in your pocket. Looking at what is available technology wise I don't see that happening anytime soon. It might sell as a high end piece of jewelry in limited quantities but i really doubt they will get iPhone volumes or even Mac volumes.
  • Reply 48 of 63
    everything Samsung has done lately has been a response to Apple, how you could see otherwise is beyond me.
    It's absurd to think that this was developed in response to the recent rumors of an iPad Pro. You don't design a product like this in a month.
    No you don't design it in a month but do you really think that Samsung doesn't have a handle on what Apple is doing.
    You don't design a new UI to go along with it in a month. The only thing that might have happened in response to the iPad Pro rumors is the name Galaxy Tab/Note Pro.
    Samsung has been working on a new UI well before this was a known product. The goal was to remove any patent related issues with the old design. So no they don't design a UI in a month, but the reality is they have been at it for years.

I'm almost surprised that, knowing how Samsung releases products in every possible size category, any of you think this is in response to Apple.
    The two are in direct competition, how could it be anything other than a response to Apple?

And then I remember how some of you get jealous when Apple isn't first with something.
    Nope, it has nothing to do with that. We just don't have an appreciation for ignorant posts.
  • Reply 49 of 63

Under the covers OSX ~= iOS

The UIs are different: kb/mouse vs Touch

Some OSX capabilities are not included in iOS because they are not needed.

To some extent, the A7 64-bit chip changes the rules -- however this is just beginning to be exploited.

I suspect, that when the technology is ready, Apple will release a larger [no bezel] screen-area iPad (not necessarily a larger device than an iPad 4). Likely this will include an A8 CPU/GPU with more RAM and SSD. If so, this device, likely, could run OSX recompiled for ARM, as well as iOS.

Apple has already repurposed its iWork and iLife apps to run on OSX and ARM/Touch. Apple may need to repurpose its Other Apps (FCPX, Logic Motion, etc.) for ARM/Touch -- especially redo the UI for touch.

There are some advantages to this for a tablet device -- but there would be no ability to run Windows apps.

Another approach is to combine x86 capability and ARM on the same chip. This would allow iOS and OSX to run native -- and Windows apps too.

As far-fetched as this might seem, Intel is making noises along these lines -- including Intel OSes and Android OSes on the same chip. Also, Intel is making noises about acting as a foundry for other chips.

Krzanich also highlighted some devices capable of running dual operating systems: Microsoft Windows and Google Android. With a dual OS processor, users can switch between the operating systems at the touch of a button.

Intel's chief previously told investors the company would focus more strongly on mobile devices, while expanding its foundry business to build processors for other chip makers, and moving into additional new markets.

http://www.technewsworld.com/edpick/79738.html

Ask yourself:
    1. Who would benefit most from running Windows and an ARM OS?
    2. Who needs a foundry to build mobile processors?

I only know of one company name that would answer both questions.
  • Reply 50 of 63
    rogifan wrote: »
    Obviously Samsung had this in development before the "iPad Pro" rumors started. But no doubt they're rushing it to market so they can claim "first!". The software UI looks like a ripoff of Flipboard, or even HTC's sense.

it has been well known for years that Samsung has been researching UI's to replace the parts that seem to infringe on Apples patents. Why anybody is surprised by this remains a mystery.

As for claiming first, maybe that is their goal or maybe it is just a matter of CES happening. The only real claims that are worthwhile are those that involve shipping product. Considering it will be many months before a 64 bit processor ships in this device it won't be much competition for an iPad Pro if that iPad ships in March.

Speaking of CES, any rumors on new product announcements coming from Apple?
  • Reply 51 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The reason that it's light years ahead is because it was started so long ago with iTunes and music. Every new device built upon that foundation into new digital markets. People have amassed large music libraries of which much isn't DRM free. I just can't see another competitor ever being able to offer what Apple does and be successful.

Agreed, Dasan. Good point! :)

That's why I think this "rush-to-market" approach other tech companies seem to depend on is a big fail. And always will be.

Best.

• Reply 52 of 63
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It doesn't make a difference if Samsung releases a one inch tablet or a hundred inch tablet. It's all crap, still running Android, with Samsung's bastardized customizations on top.

But whose is going to be the "competition to force Apple to raise its game?" /s

• Reply 53 of 63
    Well, that’s complete nonsense.
    Most likely true. I could see Apple changing up the feature set though.

How? People said this about the iPhone mini.
    By this time I would have fully expected Apple to research, prototype and maybe even piloted hundreds of iPhone designs. They have as much as said so in that each release may have seen ten or more prototypes. This doesn't even count what hasn't been released. So unless we have inside information we can't say for sure if iPhone Mini was ever a product idea, or even if it made it to prototype stage.

Hell I dream of a Haswell Mini. Seems like a logical progression but we have yet to see anything along those lines.
  • Reply 54 of 63
    wisely wrote: »
    Just like the first time Steve presented the Ipad 1, one has to ask the question, what functions do the 12" tablet serve?
    This is silly it serves the same functions as the other iPads. This is like asking what function does the 13" Mac Book Air serve when you have the 11" model.
    With this design, simply more bulk and higher price, and with no clear cut need for it, where is the mass market?
    Where is the mass market for the 13" Mac Book Air, the Touch or any of a number of Apple products. It is all about consumer preference. Beyond that we don't know exactly what sort of display this machine actually has, if Apple put a 4K screen in the machine it would automatically have handle on a different market segment.
    Ipad pro, 12" ipad? I can see a market for it if Apple designs a stand and a keyboard to go with it, to be placed on the desk as a notebook PC replacement.
    They already have keyboards and stands this isn't exactly a big issue. The real challenge is getting enough performance out of a ARM SoC to drive the machine effectively and live up to the pro designation.
    People who don't need Microsoft office can easily use an ipad pro for their daily computing needs. Less maintenance, less power consumption, already bought lots of apps and games (plus game controllers even).

Well that depends upon how you define daily computing needs.
  • Reply 55 of 63
    If someone start any iRumor, Samscum will rush one out...even if a rumor of Apple making an apple pie...they really ran out of creative original ideas.
  • Reply 56 of 63
    herbapou wrote: »
    Hopefully Apple will do better than just make a bigger tablet. Something that make use of the 64 bit A7 or A8, a lot more ram, cover with keyboard all in something lightweight.
    This part is nonsense, they are already making use of that A7 processor! I'm not sure how all of this misinformation keeps getting repeated. Apple went to great lengths to leverage the 64 bit environment in the new machines with the A7 processor. iOS was heavily overhauled to do that.
    That being said, I am getting tired of waiting on Apple for an upgraded Apple TV.   Give me something with the A7, apps and games, game controls, support for 4k video. This is by far the product I want the most in 2014.
    This I would agree with. It really seems like Apple doesn't grasp the opportunity they have here. A7 is already good enough for many games and app store permits them to sell a machine with a modest amount of flash to support those games.
  • Reply 57 of 63
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    A large screened iPad would be ideal for my needs. I hope it's a real near-future product and not just a rumor.
  • Reply 58 of 63
    tonyp385 wrote: »
    This is going to be interesting. 1st If the price point is above $1000 I think it will not be a hot seller 2. If Apple launches its own 12 inch and can keep the starting price at say $599 or $629 it will be a instant hit. Lets see how Apple reacts. But for sure unfortunately this will bring the stock down. This is a true move from Samsung.
    I see the only reason for this to come would be with better specs than regular starting with 32 gb(I doubt a 16 will come out and a possibility of only 64+) at a price between $650-900(still cheaper), who knows they may try MBA simular specs and start at $1000
  • Reply 59 of 63
    wizard69 wrote: »
    everything Samsung has done lately has been a response to Apple, how you could see otherwise is beyond me.
    No you don't design it in a month but do you really think that Samsung doesn't have a handle on what Apple is doing.
    Samsung has been working on a new UI well before this was a known product. The goal was to remove any patent related issues with the old design. So no they don't design a UI in a month, but the reality is they have been at it for years.
    The two are in direct competition, how could it be anything other than a response to Apple?
    Nope, it has nothing to do with that. We just don't have an appreciation for ignorant posts.

Do I have to clear up the meaning of the word “response"? It means you react to something that is present before you. There is no way this was a response to Apple. That is wholly separate from competition. Obviously Samsung has designed this with Apple and other competitors in mind. If you're trying to avoid reading ignorant posts, I'd advise you don't reread your own. Mine, on the other hand, should be a nutritious supplement to your forum post consumption diet.
  • Reply 60 of 63
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Hopefully Apple will do better than just make a bigger tablet. Something that make use of the 64 bit A7 or A8, a lot more ram, cover with keyboard all in something lightweight.

That being said, I am getting tired of waiting on Apple for an upgraded Apple TV.   Give me something with the A7, apps and games, game controls, support for 4k video. This is by far the product I want the most in 2014.

Apple's focus on gaming has been so driven by touch that the idea of Games on AppleTV (and therefor, an App Store) is so far removed from reality.

There is very little to the whole idea of games on AppleTV controlled by an iOS device. It just doesn't make sense. You have to look at the TV, while manipulating a touch screen...awful. Unless the controls are as dumb as Accelerometer + Single Tap anywhere on the display, you can't comfortable do anything else....and that dramatically reduces the use case. You're better off with all Touch on the same display Games, or Screen + Controller.

With the advent of many new controller options for iOS devices, like the ones the iPhone docks with...there should be huge potential for a game to be downloaded to the device and playable with the controller, while looking at the iPhone, or while looking at the TV (via AirPlay).

However, AirPlay for gaming is not exactly fantastic The lag, framerate and overall quality would need to be drastically improved. Maybe an updated AppleTV with 64-bit A7 could handle this...or perhaps its more the need for the entire network (iPhone/Airport/AppleTV) to be 802.11ac to accommodate such a task.

To me that would be the best solution for the customer. 1. Pick a controller, 2. Download a game from the AppStore on the iPhone, 3. Dock the phone with the controller and play as a portable. 4. Or, take it in your living room and hit the AirPlay button to beam it to the TV. Then you can sit back with your physical controller and play while watching the big screen.