Audi shows off 'Smart Display' Android-powered in-car tablet

Comments

• Reply 21 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheMacMan View Post

I think your point regarding flame war is valid and we each have our preferences.

I only have one question, how much of the 75% android market share can afford an Audi? This past holiday season, the average iOS user spent $94 purchasing products from their device while the average Android user only spent $43.

Also, regarding Malware, whether you agree or not, there are a huge number of malware present in the android platform. Here is the current list of Android malware http://forensics.spreitzenbarth.de/android-malware/. This will give you an idea of the huge problem Android is facing with regards to malware. And just remember just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean you don't have it.

Google play signture system was bypassed and a lot of applications (like Angry Birds for example) were hijacked because of this issue. So when you're downloading and App you think is good, keep in mind that there could be a Trojan inside it and you will not know it.

Peace.

Keep spreading the lies! The compromised Angry birds was in an unofficial app store and was a pirated illegal copy. This exact same thing can and does happen with unofficial iOS app stores on jailbroken devices. Additionally, Google's app scanner caught it. In order to install this app you would have had to disable multiple layers of security features and ignored no less than 3 warning screens. Including one that said this app is compromised. Get your facts straight.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/android-virus-pretends-to-be-angry-birds-space/2012/04/12/gIQAp6LHDT_story.html

I can almost 100% guarantee that these security features will be locked on for automotive use.

Also: http://qz.com/131436/contrary-to-what-youve-heard-android-is-almost-impenetrable-to-malware/

• Reply 22 of 157
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

I'm just telling you why I don't buy Samsung or Android. Steve was not a saint and, unless something miraculous has happened, doesn't run Apple any more. Even still, the quote is misleading as being attached to a picture of Steve towards the end of his career instead of Steve in the beginning.  People change and learn things along the way. A lot was changed after the initial interview where this quote originates.  He was kicked out of Apple, started Next and was unsuccessful and was brought back to Apple.  In a way this was his "wilderness period" and Steve changed a lot.  When he first came on stage after his return, he even made amends with Microsoft!  The Steve who discovered he had cancer was an even different person, striving to leave a legacy before his time ran out.

I think it's unkind to his legacy to pigeon whole a man based on one quote in his cocky youth. Steve was a Buddhist and there's a saying... "You never step in the same river twice" meaning we are dynamic creatures. Successful people move on from their mistakes.

• Reply 23 of 157
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 2385amh View Post

...   Also While some will make ridiculous comments about malware and updates let me precede them.  Firstly, updates on this device/system will almost certainly come directly from the manufacture once the initial software is provided.  As with Amazon and the Kindle Fire, this will be a forked version that wont require updates from google to function.  Additionally as all the cars will be manufactured by the same company in this case Audi they would obviously roll out updates to every car at once eliminating the idea of fragmentation.

Android devices can be infected by malware without the user knowing it. Unlike PC malware, mobile malware does not try to wipe your drive clean or take over your screen until you buy the antidote, instead they download your contacts and track your calls, text, gps etc. Therefore, many Android devices could be infected and show no signs of infection. For similar malware to infect your car, download your contacts, find out what stations you listen to, what texts you've sent, who you spoke to, snoop into your GPS data, know where you are, know where you're going and where you've been, can be quite concerning wouldn't you agree?

• Reply 24 of 157
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

I'm just telling you why I don't buy Samsung or Android. Steve was not a saint and, unless something miraculous has happened, doesn't run Apple any more. Even still, the quote is misleading as being attached to a picture of Steve towards the end of his career instead of Steve in the beginning.  People change and learn things along the way. A lot was changed after the initial interview where this quote originates.  He was kicked out of Apple, started Next and was unsuccessful and was brought back to Apple.  In a way this was his "wilderness period" and Steve changed a lot.  When he first came on stage after his return, he even made amends with Microsoft!  The Steve who discovered he had cancer was an even different person, striving to leave a legacy before his time ran out.

I think it's unkind to his legacy to pigeon whole a man based on one quote in his cocky youth. Steve was a Buddhist and there's a saying... "You never step in the same river twice" meaning we are dynamic creatures. Successful people move on from their mistakes.

Unless you knew him personally, please avoid making random guesses about his opinions and how much he changed.  Especially this wilderness period that you mention.

• Reply 25 of 157
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

So do you buy a car to drive or entertain yourself. This is why i hate driving anymore too many people driving distracted and causing accidents. There is no place for these products in a car, you do not need to be entertained while you drive, pay attention to the road and the the other drivers around you and stop fiddling with your technologies. You think it is bad when you see people reading news papers and shaving or putting on make-up. These kinds of systems will only make things worse.

• Reply 26 of 157

Seems we just went through this the other day and people are still back to the same arguments (which are factually incorrect).

Audi is NOT running Android in their vehicle. They have made it possible to connect an Android device to the vehicle. There's a big difference.

GM is part of iOS In The Car. They are also part of the OAA. And they have their own App Store coming out with OnStar. There's no reason a manufacturer can't make a car that works with iOS and Android devices. Audi just chose to showcase their Android tablet (likely with some incentives) at CES. Audi isn't locking themselves into Android only, nor are they running Android in the actual vehicle systems.

• Reply 27 of 157
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

In theory I would agree that such a case would be troubling.  But I have seen no evidence that would suggest this is even a possibility.  And if your phone is compromised all the data that your car has would be basically the same information twice.  But as stated by someone above, stock android does not get infected easily at all.  Only if users disable multiple security features can side loading of apps be done.  I just think the entire thing is blown way out of proportions.  While technically possible, I think almost no one is getting infected with these malicious programs in the real world.  
  • Reply 28 of 157

Read the book. You posted a picture of the cover, I assume you read it.

• Reply 29 of 157
    2385amh wrote: »
    Fair point, but the idea that android uses are are poor is also incorrect.  With any large group their is a spectrum, apple users may tend to have more money on average but they are still a much smaller group.  Android definitely does sell a lot of BOGO garbage, but its best sellers as of late are phones like the S4, Note3, HTC one ect.  These phone are the same price or more expensive then the iphone 5S.  I would be willing to be that at least 5% of android uses could afford an Audi (this is being very conservative) and by some estimates android is going to sell a billion devices this year world wide.  That still leaves 50 million people even by this conservative estimate.

Didn't mean to imply that Android users are poor. The 75% market share is worldwide, and include "developing" countries - India, China, and others who buy the cheapest Android handsets. When you compare iPhones to high end Androids, that's where the scale begins to balance and thus, the average $ spent is calculated based on market share. So, if you just compare high end Android to iPhones, the avg $ begins to even out. That's all I am saying. You know, Wall Street and financial analysts talk a lot about market share, but I gotta tell you, I would rather make huge profits than have market share. Market share becomes valid when all things being equal.

One thing I learned in collage is, you can make statistics look anyway you want. For example, there are literally hundreds of phone makers running android, there is one company that makes iPhones. What if, statistically we compare market share by manufacturer? How would the numbers come out? You see, analysts can make their own rules as to how to calculate market share. So, if you're Audi, it would be unwise to say, because Android has majority of the Market, that's where I should advertise.

It's just a game of numbers.

Peace.
  • Reply 30 of 157
    Quote:

Read the book. You posted a picture of the cover, I assume you read it.

Again, unless you knew him let's move on.  I could care less what someone publicly says while simultaneously using the same argument against it's biggest rival.  I doubt he would say something that would undercut his entire argument against Android.

• Reply 31 of 157
    cyniccynic Posts: 124member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

A lesser car company than VW, say BMW who had declining Quality and has a sinking brand image (within it's market segment) ...

Mind you, I have no idea about how this is perceived in the US. However, calling BMW a lesser car company than VW, is quite interesting, unless of course you're referring to plain size and amount of brands owned.

However, in their home country, those two brands do not even play in the same class. One might even start arguing whether Audi actually plays in the same class as BMW and Mercedes.

• Reply 32 of 157

The point was not whether he changed or not (which is pretty well addressed in his biography which was written from private discussions, not public statements), but that you cannot pin an entire company's mantra on one man's quote said in his 20's. People change, bud.  The Apple of today is different and has a whole lot more integrity than most of it's peers. So why don't you move on?

• Reply 33 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fithian View Post

Goodbye Audi, Hello BMW.

You really want to buy a BMW, the car company that just announced their partnership with Samsung?

You do know that BMW is bringing the (horrible) Samsung S-Voice to their cars this year?

You'd better get used to the idea that Google software is going to be powering everything in the near future. Google is much more nimble, flexible and open minded than Apple.

• Reply 34 of 157

I just can't believe this. Audi, what are they thinking?

• Reply 35 of 157
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

“I don’t have a clue what I’m taking about.”

–2385amh

• Reply 36 of 157
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Quote:

In theory I would agree that such a case would be troubling.  But I have seen no evidence that would suggest this is even a possibility.  And if your phone is compromised all the data that your car has would be basically the same information twice.  But as stated by someone above, stock android does not get infected easily at all.  Only if users disable multiple security features can side loading of apps be done.  I just think the entire thing is blown way out of proportions.  While technically possible, I think almost no one is getting infected with these malicious programs in the real world.

Reality says otherwise, Android has plenty of antivirus apps and they are popular. Here's one of them, AVG, a popular Android antivirus app that claims to have an installed user-base of over 100,000,000.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.antivirus

Review Snippets:

"This app is awesome it found bad setting and malware on my phone and all it took to remove it was a simple press of a button thanks AVG and keep it free cos that really helped me"

"Once I got this app, upon detecting 3 threats in three different apps, it made the process rate go much higher than usual."

"I found two threats immediately! On my android and follow directions easily to address the issue, this is by far the best ant-virus detector app out there!"

"Thanks to avg due to this my cel got protected from all types of viruses which would distroy all the savings done in my cel thanks a lot This is very nice to protect our cel from viruses."

• Reply 37 of 157
    Quote:

The point was not whether he changed or not (which is pretty well addressed in his biography which was written from private discussions, not public statements), but that you cannot pin an entire company's mantra on one man's quote said in his 20's. People change, bud.  The Apple of today is different and has a whole lot more integrity than most of it's peers. So why don't you move on?

I think it's safe to assume that discussions with a biographer are not considered private.  (That's the whole reason his is interviewing you).  But I really don't care either way.  You may be right, I just don't see any compelling reason to believe he changed, or any real evidence.

In modern technology everyone is always stealing from everyone.  If you don't think that many of IOS7 features were heavily inspired by android and WebOS you are mistaken.     

• Reply 38 of 157
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member

@2385amh I just wanted to say that I am in the market for an A1 or A3 - still have not decided. I am sure that this tech won't reach these cars for a year or more. It won't change my mind in my decision one bit. It however saddens me that I could not get the implementation that Apple created... I do like a lot of what they have designed. Now... if a BMW or MB came along.. and had a good car (which they both have a few of)... and its inside tech was exactly what I wanted... I would consider most definitely. 

• Reply 39 of 157
    nexusphan wrote: »
    Keep spreading the lies! The compromised Angry birds was in an unofficial app store and was a pirated illegal copy. This exact same thing can and does happen with unofficial iOS app stores on jailbroken devices. Additionally, Google's app scanner caught it. In order to install this app you would have had to disable multiple layers of security features and ignored no less than 3 warning screens. Including one that said this app is compromised. Get your facts straight.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/android-virus-pretends-to-be-angry-birds-space/2012/04/12/gIQAp6LHDT_story.html

I can almost 100% guarantee that these security features will be locked on for automotive use.

Also: http://qz.com/131436/contrary-to-what-youve-heard-android-is-almost-impenetrable-to-malware/

I did Check my facts, no lies. First your article doesn't exist (tried the link) second here is the real story "facts" http://m.slashdot.org/story/188347

And by the way, I was at Blackhat because I am in the security business. No need for animosity, we're just having a discussion. Read the article. Withe regards to jail broken iPhones, I don't doubt the same problem exist because it becomes open source just like Android.

Peace.
  • Reply 40 of 157
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member
    Quote:

The key to that poster's quote... is "IDEAS" which is altogether different!