Audi shows off 'Smart Display' Android-powered in-car tablet

Comments

• Reply 41 of 157
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Fithian View Post

Goodbye Audi, Hello BMW.

Ooh the fickle hearted. Not long ago everyone was dissing BMW when AI reported this..

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/06/12/bmw-shuns-apples-ios-in-the-car-to-stick-with-its-own-technology

If your decision between BMW and Audi is based solely on support for IOS then you might as well buy a Camry.

• Reply 42 of 157
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 2385amh View Post

I think it's safe to assume that discussions with a biographer are not considered private.  (That's the whole reason his is interviewing you).  But I really don't care either way.  You may be right, I just don't see any compelling reason to believe he changed, or any real evidence.

In modern technology everyone is always stealing from everyone.  If you don't think that many of IOS7 features were heavily inspired by android and WebOS you are mistaken.     

Antivirus apps are more likely a result that people think their devices may be at risk.  This doesn't really speak to the reality of whether they are at risk.  To demonstrate this here is a link about the best OSX antiviruse according to the reviewer.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/best-free-antivirus-software-for-mac/ 

As we know OSX basically never gets viruses and the idea is exaggerated highly (as is the case with android I predict)

• Reply 43 of 157
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) So is this an app you will need to download and install via Google Play or is this is a dedicated tablet you need to buy with your Audi?

2) Does this mean they will not [U]also[/U] be including support for Apple's iOS in the Car standard?

edit: It looks like Audi at least had interest in iOSitC: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_in_the_Car#Car_manufacturers
  • Reply 44 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Reality says otherwise, Android has plenty of antivirus apps and they are popular. Here's one of them, AVG, a popular Android antivirus app that claims to have an installed user-base of over 100,000,000.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.antivirus

Review Snippets:

"This app is awesome it found bad setting and malware on my phone and all it took to remove it was a simple press of a button thanks AVG and keep it free cos that really helped me"

"Once I got this app, upon detecting 3 threats in three different apps, it made the process rate go much higher than usual."

"I found two threats immediately! On my android and follow directions easily to address the issue, this is by far the best ant-virus detector app out there!"

"Thanks to avg due to this my cel got protected from all types of viruses which would distroy all the savings done in my cel thanks a lot This is very nice to protect our cel from viruses."

Are you trying to tell me than an app is promoting itself and inflating it's claims to gain more installs?! No way that could be true. Go download a comprehensive scanner for your mac. It will find multiple "threats" just like the AVG for Android finds finds. None of them are anything remotely close to malware.

http://qz.com/131436/contrary-to-what-youve-heard-android-is-almost-impenetrable-to-malware/

• Reply 45 of 157
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Ideas are as bags of fertilizer. They provide the spark if one can see the genius in them and implement a means to utilize them. If not, they lay wasted in the recesses of history like so many great `ideas.'

The idea for a horseless carriage was considered a myth until it was manifested into reality. No one whines that someone `stole that idea' and therefore isn't original, yet you and those who find Steve's comment to Carte Blanche the man's vision as nothing but thievery really are pathetic.

• Reply 46 of 157
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iPilya View Post

The key to that poster's quote... is "IDEAS" which is altogether different!

what?  Do you think that Larry Page went down to apple headquarters and broke a window to steal physical items?  And if you are refurring to Oracle I believe if i'm not mistaken that Google won that case.

• Reply 47 of 157
    2385amh wrote: »
    what?  Do you think that Larry Page went down to apple headquarters and broke a window to steal physical items?  And if you are refurring to Oracle I believe if i'm not mistaken that Google won that case.

You can steal intellectual property without stealing a physical object. Cases in point: Android and Samsung.

You can steal an idea without stealing intellectual property: Cases in point: MS' WinPh7 and WebOS.
  • Reply 48 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) So is this an app you will need to download and install via Google Play or is this is a dedicated tablet you need to buy with your Audi?

2) Does this mean they will not also be including support for Apple's iOS in the Car standard?

1) It's a separate tablet. I'm really confused by this. Not sure what's exactly going on.

2) Audi very well could be supporting both (unless Apple disallowed that in their T's and C's which is not unlikely) but honestly, I don't see iOS in the car catching on. Manufacturers want one system that will work with as many potential customers as possible. This is exactly why you don't see iPhone cables in cars anymore; you only see USB plugs.

Edit: This should help! http://nvidianews.nvidia.com/Releases/Audi-and-NVIDIA-Expand-Visual-Computing-in-the-Car-a90.aspx

• Reply 49 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheMacMan View Post

I only have one question, how much of the 75% android market share can afford an Audi? This past holiday season, the average iOS user spent $94 purchasing products from their device while the average Android user only spent $43.

Here's a sample of myself and my 6 closest friends...

Me: Nexus 5 drives BMW E90 M3 (100% owned)

Friend 1: Motorola Android something or other, BMW E90 328i (100% owned)

Friend 2: HTC One. Audi A4 3.2 (100% owned)

Friend 3: Nexus 5, Drives BMW E46 M3 (100% owned)

Friend 4: iPhone 4S, drives Toyota Tacoma. (Leased)

Friend 5: iPhone 5, drives a Ford POS truck (Leases)

Friend 6: iPhone 5S, drives a Toyota Echo (100% owned)

• Reply 50 of 157
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member
    Quote:

Again... stealing ideas... or simply taking ideas and running with them is not the issue. The issue is when a company is blatant about stealing, duplicating to the point of causing consumer confusion... I am talking more about hardware here... not so much about software.

we should not hijack this thread... (somewhat sorry to have provided a playful response)... but just want to say that you are moderately right in that Google won the patent phase. Google lost the copyright issues (I consider it development plagiarism) and was in deadlock over its fair use defence. 

• Reply 51 of 157
    Quote: yet you and those who find Steve's comment to Carte Blanche the man's vision as nothing but thievery really are pathetic.

I never said he wasn't a great man, inventor, or visionary.  I used that quote as a direct response to a post.  Please don't assume you know how I feel about Steve Jobs or his legacy.  I think he is a truly inspirational inventor and visionary who made the future change for all of us.  

I also feel that as I said everyone in technology uses each others ideas.  I just don't think its as big of a deal as some people make it out to be.  Android used java code.  It notified them and was congratulated by sun micosystems.  Not until Oracle bought them did this even become an issue.

I don't agree with the premise that google is a stolen product.  Now Samsung on the other hand does go a little to far in my opinion. 

• Reply 52 of 157
    nexusphan wrote: »
    Manufacturers want one system that will work with as many potential customers as possible. This is exactly why you don't see iPhone cables in cars anymore; you only see USB plugs.

1) Apple system isn't disallowing other systems from working.

2) The lack of the iPod cable in the glovebox isn't because they have all of a sudden said "hey, let's support more devices" it's because there are finally more devices to support with the smartphone. Remember this all started with the iPod, not the iPhone. The use of the USB plug is just a convenient standard once this became common enough to build into systems.

3) I don't expect iOSitC to be a failure but I would like to see a truly universal standard so that any mobile OS could connect to any car without either the mobile handset vendor or automotive maker having to do any deals to make it all work.

PS: I'd like to see in-dash systems to start using HiDPI, IPS displays. There is no reason a higher-end vehicle should allow the driver's eyes to be an arm's length from the console and still still pixelation.
  • Reply 53 of 157
    patpatpat wrote: »
    Here's a sample of myself and my 6 closest friends...

Me: Nexus 5 drives BMW E90 M3 (100% owned)
    Friend 1: Motorola Android something or other, BMW E90 328i (100% owned)
    Friend 2: HTC One. Audi A4 3.2 (100% owned)
    Friend 3: Nexus 5, Drives BMW E46 M3 (100% owned)
    Friend 4: iPhone 4S, drives Toyota Tacoma. (Leased)
    Friend 5: iPhone 5, drives a Ford POS truck (Leases)
    Friend 6: iPhone 5S, drives a Toyota Echo (100% owned)

Please read my reply to the post you quoted in which you'd find that your reply is a moot point.
    PS I am so happy for you that you have a BMW M3 100% owned great car, and a lot of fun.

Peace.
  • Reply 54 of 157
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Apple system isn't disallowing other systems from working.

2) The lack of the iPod cable in the glovebox isn't because they have all of a sudden said "hey, let's support more devices" it's because there are finally more devices to support with the smartphone. Remember this all started with the iPod, not the iPhone. The use of the USB plug is just a convenient standard once this became common enough to build into systems.

3) I don't expect iOSitC to be a failure but I would like to see a truly universal standard so that any mobile OS could connect to any car without either the mobile handset vendor or automotive maker having to do any deals to make it all work.

PS: I'd like to see in-dash systems to start using HiDPI, IPS displays. There is no reason a higher-end vehicle should allow the driver's eyes to be an arm's length from the console and still still pixelation.

1) Do you really know this for a fact? Apple could easily include a line in their T's and C's to forbid cross-platform integration. I'm certainly not saying they did. I have no proof. Just a thought that they may have.

2) Very valid point. At the early time of iPods nothing else came close in market share. It made 100% sense to have an iPod connector. I agree with you.

3) I'm in 100% agreement with you. Honestly, I don't care who does it, but, we need a universal standard that works for all platforms. I'm fine with Apple being that who.

Even more than high quality screens, we need high quality graphics. Audi just showed us the tip of the iceberg. Exciting times we live in!

http://nvidianews.nvidia.com/Releases/Audi-and-NVIDIA-Expand-Visual-Computing-in-the-Car-a90.aspx

• Reply 55 of 157
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    Quote:

Unless you knew him personally, please avoid making random guesses about his opinions and how much he changed.  Especially this wilderness period that you mention.

Unless you knew him personally you should stop making random guesses about the intent and place in life of the statement. The fact that you chose to use a quote that uses a picture  some thirty years later says a lot.  

• Reply 56 of 157
    AI is now in full clickbait mode.
  • Reply 57 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

Unless you knew him personally you should stop making random guesses about the intent and place in life of the statement. The fact that you chose to use a quote that uses a picture  some thirty years later says a lot.  

You don't need to know a person to quote them.  However, the other person was posting what he thought Jobs thought and how he felt.  This information can't be gathered without knowing someone.

That's the difference, I don't need to know him to say what he actually said.  You do need to in order to speak to his personal feeling and life changes. 

I am trying to get back on the main topic as I was not intending to hijack the thread.

• Reply 58 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheMacMan View Post

I did Check my facts, no lies. First your article doesn't exist (tried the link) second here is the real story "facts" http://m.slashdot.org/story/188347

And by the way, I was at Blackhat because I am in the security business. No need for animosity, we're just having a discussion. Read the article. Withe regards to jail broken iPhones, I don't doubt the same problem exist because it becomes open source just like Android.

Peace.

My article is most certainly valid. Not sure why you are having issues. If you are, just Google it. And my source is the Washington post and you counter me with a forum post? Are you for real?

Edit: I read more of the comments posted. This was the widely published master key flaw that was quickly patched by Google. I was countering your lies about a malware Angry Birds. Way to try and change the subject on me.

Source: http://phys.org/news/2013-07-google-apk-nightmare-waiting-to-happen-patch-partners.html

• Reply 59 of 157
    nexusphan wrote: »
     1) Do you really know this for a fact? Apple could easily include a line in their T's and C's to forbid cross-platform integration. I'm certainly not saying they did. I have no proof. Just a thought that they may have.

You're right, I have no explicitly stated proof but based on Apple's past efforts with car integration and how Phil Schiller presented the info at WWDC last Summer I would be very surprised if iOS in the Car requires automakers to not partner with any other mobile OS or mobile handset vendor and only allow iOS-based iDevices to connect. I'm not sure that would even be legal given the scope of this project.
  • Reply 60 of 157
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    2385amh wrote: »
    That's the difference, I don't need to know him to say what he actually said.  You do need to in order to speak to his personal feeling and life changes.

I wasn't claiming to know his thoughts and feelings, only saying that a person can change, so quoting something from 30 years ago to determine what that person believes before they died or to insinuate and entire company's persona is flawed.