Apple hits snags in 'iWatch' production, loses director of iPod software to Nest

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Ouch, you beat me by a few seconds.  :)

But only because you put more effort into your post.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    What's worse, that the original article had nothing newsworthy at all, or that AI decided to regurgitate it? A guy who used to work on now-irrelevant iPod software may or may not (probably not) have had a role in the development of a product that may or may not ever exist. What?
  • Reply 23 of 40
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Snags with iWatch production?

I heard it would be ready 'in time'.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    harmonharmon Posts: 48member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Not sure leaving Apple and going to a thermostat company is all that bright of an move. Really, how much runway is there in this category to innovated how to control the temperature in your house.

I would bet that Nest has much bigger plans in the home automation and possibly home security arenas including heavy integration with iOS (and probably Android too).

• Reply 25 of 40
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,858member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Harmon View Post

I would bet that Nest has much bigger plans in the home automation and possibly home security arenas including heavy integration with iOS (and probably Android too).

Nest problem long term is a lack of serious money R&D wise, they woke-up a slow moving industry with Nest Thermostat, good luck to them they will need it.

• Reply 26 of 40
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    it's not just iWatch production issues. they're also have line and yield issues with iSockDarner, iBrassPolisher and iSwitchFlipper. yep. heard it here first.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Snags with iWatch production?

I heard it would be ready 'in time'.

While iAm watching this debacle unfold iRealize what iReally want is an iHeadband. As we attempt to reimagine and redefine the past iHave become convinced the iHeadband will be a hit. It will have an iWatch built in facing outwards so only iCan not tell the time. It makes no sense, it is very social and it is very iFarOut.

• Reply 28 of 40
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Much a do about nada
  • Reply 29 of 40
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    maestro64 wrote: »
    Not sure leaving Apple and going to a thermostat company is all that bright of an move. Really, how much runway is there in this category to innovated how to control the temperature in your house.
    I consider myself adept at sarcasm detection, but that's pretty borderline. Some might take it seriously, thinking Nest really is a thermostat company. Just like Apple is a smartphone company or a PC vendor.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    The Nest thermostat (I have one) is a neat gadget. For simple installations, it does the job. It does not even touch on the area of whole-home integrated systems though, and if a new product every 2 years (like the smoke detector) is all they can do, it's going to stay a niche product. Someone needs to bring home automation/security into a more cohesive package... or else the specialized systems like Honeywell will continue to be the only reliable whole-home option.

Belkin kind of dabbles in it with WeMo, but I want to go to Home Depot, and walk out with everything I need to connect my house in one cart.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    Quote:

You never know? They may make a wearabe 'Nest' that can communicate with the iPod....../s

• Reply 32 of 40
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

There is no iWatch . . . 

Move along, move along...

I am thinking iWatch has a double meaning (like a lot of Apple things):

1. It goes on your wrist

2. Watch as in monitor, i.e. it has a lot of sensors.

And maybe it is not for everybody but only for the sick or elderly or a baby monitor.

• Reply 33 of 40
    Quote:

You should update your information about Nest. They've expanded beyond thermostats and are very nicely positioned as a home automation startup. Indeed, its future is bright but not bright enough to outshine Apple. But consider this - This guy's stock options at Apple are very likely fully vested now. So, financially, joining a promising startup as a relatively senior manager has a bigger financial upside. 

• Reply 34 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by focher View Post

I consider myself adept at sarcasm detection, but that's pretty borderline. Some might take it seriously, thinking Nest really is a thermostat company. Just like Apple is a smartphone company or a PC vendor.

You're mistaking ignorance for sarcasm.

• Reply 35 of 40
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    paxman wrote: »
    While iAm watching this debacle unfold iRealize what iReally want is an iHeadband. As we attempt to reimagine and redefine the past iHave become convinced the iHeadband will be a hit. It will have an iWatch built in facing outwards so only iCan not tell the time. It makes no sense, it is very social and it is very iFarOut.

iAgree.

;)
  • Reply 36 of 40
    jpmiajpmia Posts: 63member
    I all starts again, i predict wall st drivin down stock to 450 before coming up again to 550 area on september...
  • Reply 37 of 40
    This seems highly unlikely. Bryan James would certainly have signed a non-disclosure agreement as part of his employment at Apple. Disclosing problems with the iWatch would be met with legal actions against him.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    But wait, it's the iTV that's further delayed because the iWatch is coming first:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/apple-itv-delayed-by-content-deals-and-new-iwatch-focus

The TV is already at least 3 years late!

http://appleinsider.com/articles/09/02/05/apple_planning_connected_television_apple_tv_with_dvr_report.html

They said 2011 launch and it's now 2014. Going by the same timeline, if the iWatch rumors started around 2012, there should be another fictional product made up around 2 years before the iWatch would be due to arrive after all the delays (2018). But what kind of product rumored in 2016 would distract Apple from finishing an iWatch? Maybe a TV?
  • Reply 39 of 40
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I expect this product category to be an abysmal failure. I don't know anyone that wears a watch... nor any other electronic "wearables". It's a speculation fad.
  • Reply 40 of 40

Google bought Nest and so I don't think they are planning on just Smart smoke detectors and Smart thermostats!

That's a whole slew of Apple's former employees that Google has stolen from Apple for stealing employees from them. It's sort of like the new thing to do. Steal employees from each other, so you don't have to steal their innovations and inventions!