Audi shows off 'Smart Display' Android-powered in-car tablet

Comments

• Reply 81 of 157
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

AI is now in full clickbait mode.

These post battles between those who are level headed, those who are Apple fanatics and those who are Android fanatics amuse me.

• Reply 82 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 3Eleven View Post

These post battles between those who are level headed, those who are Apple fanatics and those who are Android fanatics amuse me.

Android "fanatics" are allowed on this site?

The most amusing, frothing-at-the-mouth fanatics here are Apple fanbois, no?

I mean, who in their right mind would buy (not buy) a car because it "supports" (does not support) their precious iPhone?

• Reply 83 of 157
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 2385amh View Post

Yeah, nice try. You obviously don't understand the underlying meaning of the quote or where it actually originated from. The entire point of the quote is about being INSPIRED by other great ideas. It has nothing to do with actually stealing or copying. This quote gets misused out of context so often I often wonder if the people that use it are just completely biased or just plain stupid?

• Reply 84 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Yeah, nice try. You obviously don't understand the underlying meaning of the quote or where it actually originated from. The entire point of the quote is about being INSPIRED by other great ideas. It has nothing to do with actually stealing or copying. This quote gets misused out of context so often I often wonder if the people that use it are just completely biased or just plain stupid?

But, but, but...  your hero said "stealing", not "inspired".

• Reply 85 of 157
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

T.... they're owned by VW who own 12 car brands, and VW tends to use the same technology across most of their brands.

Absolute nonsense. You’ve obviously never driven a VW v. an Audi v. a Porsche. Likely not even stepped into one.

• Reply 86 of 157

Definition of an idiot:

Someone who will buy a $30000+ car based on their $199+ phone purchase.

• Reply 87 of 157
    Quote:

Originally Posted by petrosy View Post

Definition of an idiot:

Someone who will buy a $30000+ car based on their $199+ phone purchase.

Spot on.

• Reply 88 of 157
    lmgslmgs Posts: 63member
    Google is evil, Audi is stupid...

What's next for VW?? Windows in a Veyron???
  • Reply 89 of 157
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BigPhotos View Post

Goodbye Audi - it's been swell, but I don't want a Droid in my car. Too bad as I wanted to buy a 2014 A4. Hello BMW - it'll be good to get back to you. My iPhone and I will see you soon.

"My iPhone and I will see you soon....... creeeeeeeeeeeepy!

Reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xtt0MqG0lQY

• Reply 90 of 157

I don't know. For the longest time Audi has always fought a sort of "second best" status under Merc. and BMW.

Audi has worked really hard trying to overcome this and by and large have been successful. With their road racing program and wins at LaMans plus the R8 and their SUV's are pretty much on par with Merc. and BMW (maybe). And then they go and do this! Ugh!

My daughter's fiance just ordered the biggest Audi SUV. Luckily it won't have Android in it! :)

• Reply 91 of 157
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DalShabet View Post

"My iPhone and I will see you soon....... creeeeeeeeeeeepy!

Reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xtt0MqG0lQY

Ok - I drive an Audi A4 now and I've owned a bunch of BMW 3 series.  All I want in a car's entertainment is a way to play my playlists from my iPhone 5s.  Is that so hard for you to understand?  I have picked up 3 BMWs at the factory in Munich and I planned to do the same for a new A4 at the Audi factory in Ingolstadt.  That plan is now on hold as I seriously look at what Audi thinks it is doing ....  I do not want an android controlling my car or my music.  Period.  I owned a Droid phone for 2 weeks and I gave it away.... while waiting for Verizon to get an iPhone as that was my only carrier at home and iPhones were only AT&T then.  

Audi screwed up and I look forward to seeing what BMW can do to fill the void .... 

• Reply 92 of 157
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

Key thing which few people seem to focus on: the Audi tablet is what one would call "MIL-spec", i.e. designed to operate properly after having been left in the car on a cold Minnesota/Siberia winter night and continuing to work after having left baking inside the car in the desert sun in Death Valley. 

There are engineering tradeoffs for that kind of operating range.  I'd rather have an in car wireless infrastructure and bring my phone or tablet with me.

A dedicated tablet is kinda dumb though if you expect to keep your car a reasonable amount of time.  I've gone through 4 iphone models since I last bought a car, each one getting more powerful.

Good luck with your mil-spec tablet unless you trade in every couple years.  The less installed electronics in the car itself the better these days given we all carry a supercomputer in our pockets these days.

http://www.electronista.com/articles/11/05/10/ipad.2.benches.as.fast.as.cray.2.from.1985/

Quote:

VW is a company. Brands OWNED by that company are: VW, 

So essentially you're agreeing with him.  The BMW brand is better than the VW brand.

With respect to the Phaeton:  €28,100 loss per vehicle.  VW has two of the biggest losers in that list.  The Bugatti Veyron is there too.  Yah, if you're willing to sell a car below value some folks would love it.  Even so, sales are lackluster.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2013/09/daily-chart-18

"The Phaeton has never met the company’s original sales target of 20,000 vehicles annually. The model, which came on the market in 2002, cost more than 1 billion euros to produce. VW produced 7,500 Phaetons last year, the carmaker said Jan. 25."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-01-28/vw-may-return-92-360-phaeton-scirocco-coupe-to-u-s-to-challenge-toyota.html

• Reply 93 of 157
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BigPhotos View Post

Ok - I drive an Audi A4 now and I've owned a bunch of BMW 3 series. 

Given you were willing to buy another A4 before this your experience was far better than mine.  I enjoyed my A4 when it was working but boy was it a hanger queen.  It was in for service a lot.  That was a few years ago though.

Still it really soured me on the brand.

I do agree with the sentiment that whatever car I buy better work seamlessly with whatever phone I'm using whether that's an iPhone or something else.  I almost got my wife the Nokia for the better camera but the iPhone 5S was good enough camera wise to stay iPhone this go around.

• Reply 94 of 157
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

I've done some work on automotive software. Although I'd prefer iOS, I'd also take Android over the crap that the manufacturers (or their suppliers) come up with themselves. I actually think that Windows Phone could work quite well too as apps aren't the big selling point.

All of these 'smart' systems still run two operating systems though. You need your lights working as soon as you turn the key and none of the mobile operating systems boot instantly. Malware is never going to affect the running of your vehicle.

• Reply 95 of 157
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

This is the logical consequence of Apple being too closed.

Does anyone think the car companies want to be owned by Apple like the mobile carriers or the record labels are?

Does anyone wonder why the rumored AppleTV still isn't a real product?

It's all the same: just like Microsoft in the past, Apple doesn't enter into real partnerships, but aims to make any partner the underdog and dictate to them the terms.

When you start your Audi, Audi wants you to see an Audi logo, not an Apple logo; they want Apple to show up somewhere in the Settings>About>Copyright section; Apple wants the user to think of the car as a four wheeled iPhone peripheral.

Needless to say these two points of view are not compatible.

A lesser car company than VW, say BMW who had declining Quality and has a sinking brand image (within it's market segment) may try to ride Apple's coat tail back to being hip again, but that may work as well for them as it does for AT&T.

The way this needs to be solved is like ODB-II: an open industry spec protocol and a VESA-mount like standard for the in vehicle mount, and then the consumer has a choice of hardware and software; Apple's devices and apps being one of them, Apple's devices and third party apps being another; Android, Win8, Ubuntu, etc. being yet other choices of operating system with various software.

Consumers have to stand up again for open standards; it's the only thing that provides choice and competition.

I'd surely prefer an iOS device over some droid thing; but I don't want my car being married to any platform, I want value and features driven by competition, not high prices and complacency fueled by strategic alliances and lack of choice.

Just compare old typewriter cloth ink ribbons (universal) to ink jet printer cartridges (designed for lock in and high-price policies), or standard razor blades vs. New-style multi-blade cartridges, etc.

It's a massive trend to create non-standard products to castrate free market forces by decommoditzing commodities such as to be able to take away control from consumers.

It's not what Audi wants you to see, it's what Google wants you to see that's the problem.

F*ck having an ad supported car!

Google aren't a charity they'll want to monetise.

• Reply 96 of 157
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMacMan View Post

One thing I learned in collage is,..

Was it an art college?

I learned collage in Art classes and spelling in English classes, all before high school prior to University.

• Reply 97 of 157
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 2385amh View Post

And if you are refurring to Oracle I believe if i'm not mistaken that Google won that case.

The case that is still undergoing the appeals process and is by no means "won" by Google yet.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

• Reply 98 of 157

wow!! the droid dorks are really coming to their lame ass OS's defense , huh.

poor fools

• Reply 99 of 157

Ok, let's think this logically:  car manufacturers really don't lose anything by join the Android OAA.  It is also likely that each will customize the hell out of the UI to differentiate themselves.  Google will collect valuable data on user driving habits, and I'm sure there will be lawsuits for drivers who are not aware that Google was tracking them.  Google really don't care about fragmentation as long as it can collect data.

On the other hand, Apple is all about user experience.  So the only way to maintain a consistent experience, Apple will have to buy BMW.  BMW's market cap is only 55bn

• Reply 100 of 157
    richl wrote: »
    I've done some work on automotive software. Although I'd prefer iOS, I'd also take Android over the crap that the manufacturers (or their suppliers) come up with themselves. I actually think that Windows Phone could work quite well too as apps aren't the big selling point.

All of these 'smart' systems still run two operating systems though. You need your lights working as soon as you turn the key and none of the mobile operating systems boot instantly. Malware is never going to affect the running of your vehicle.

The infamous Ford Edsel had a transmission where the gears were changed by electronic push buttons in the center of the steering wheel...

If your battery was dead, you couldn't shift the car out of park so you could push it to get it started.

[VIDEO]