Review: Fitbit Force fitness monitor

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    I have found that even after aggressively trying to squeeze it on, my Force falls off unexpectedly. A brush against something is all it takes to gracefully fall off. I tried various methods of attaching it more securely and found that a simple paper clip, preferably plastic coated, can be bent to slip into a latching slot and then over the clasp. It works well and is comfortable. I wish I could add a picture to this post to show everyone.
  • Reply 22 of 27

That said, the latching mechanism is a design flaw that FitBit really needs to rectify. I am hopeful that as new designs emerge, FitBit will offer free or very low cost retrofits to existing customers. I think they would buy a lot of brand loyalty if they do this. I am certain that people are losing there devices because of the poorly engineered clasp mechanism. Lastly, by recording what I eat and keeping within a calorie budget, I am actually having fun losing a bit of weight without noticeable hardship. For a borderline diabetic like me, this is a transformative life tool.  

• Reply 23 of 27
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    sagesigh wrote: »
    I have found that even after aggressively trying to squeeze it on, my Force falls off unexpectedly. A brush against something is all it takes to gracefully fall off. I tried various methods of attaching it more securely and found that a simple paper clip, preferably plastic coated, can be bent to slip into a latching slot and then over the clasp. It works well and is comfortable. I wish I could add a picture to this post to show everyone.

It does take more effort and awareness than should be needed to attach the band but mine holds quite well once it's attached. Perhaps you can contact them and get a replacement as I doubt you're the only one having this issue.
  • Reply 24 of 27

It is important to note that many people (go to discussions on Fitbit website) are experiencing what looks like a "burn" under the location of the charging port on the Fitbit Force.  The company is not responding appropriately or quickly enough to the consumers who are showing increasing frustration and disappointment with this otherwise wonderful product.  The company seems to believe it is a contact dermatitis associated with the nickel used on the charging port.  Consumers are beginning to question whether there is low level radiation that is causing contact radiation burns. This is not good!!  The burns appear anywhere from 2 weeks to a month after wearing.  Many people switch wrists and end up with burns on each wrist.  The healing time has been inordinately long for a contact dermatitis which would resolve fairly quickly after the offending allergen is removed. 

Buyer beware!

• Reply 25 of 27
    solipsismx wrote: »
    All the things you mention are why I think it's going to be tough for a company like Apple to produce a revolutionary, unified product akin to the iPhone.

How do you make something that is durable athletic wear that can be considered jewelry (or at least seem a luxury-class item) while so having an advanced computer system with long battery life?

I'm not sure it's possible. The long lasting fitness monitors are too simple, and the complex smart watches are large and power inefficient. Can Apple find a model ground that isn't the "no compromise" of the MS Surface in that it's bad at everything? Eventually, sure, but in 2014 I'm not so sure the state-of-the-art will be there.

PS: It would be nice to constantly monitor one's heart rate (blood pressure, oxygen saturation, etc.) but that would require constant pressure on the skin in some fashion until one-a-day ePills are commercially available. There are, however, several free iOS apps that use the camera and LED flash to accurately measure your heart rate. If you only want a periodic measure they work quite well.

Yes..it's gonna be difficult to maintain all these qualities. I can forgo a couple, as long as it looks nice, is waterproof and has some ingenuous qualities to it.

I think apple can tackle at these qualities easily. I look forward to their answer.

I actually am quite happy their are so many options out there. It's gonna be another one of those products where apple most likely will come along and prove why they still are the best at revolutionizing.

I've notice that nowadays, when companies hear of a product rumor apple could be producing, they rush to the market to make something in the attempt not to be overshadowed. Samsungs smart watch is a perfect example.

Funny how their vision has actually turned some people off to the idea.

I still think there's something great coming.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Yes..it's gonna be difficult to maintain all these qualities. I can forgo a couple, as long as it looks nice, is waterproof and has some ingenuous qualities to it.

I think apple can tackle at these qualities easily. I look forward to their answer.

I actually am quite happy their are so many options out there. It's gonna be another one of those products where apple most likely will come along and prove why they still are the best at revolutionizing.

I've notice that nowadays, when companies hear of a product rumor apple could be producing, they rush to the market to make something in the attempt not to be overshadowed. Samsungs smart watch is a perfect example.

Funny how their vision has actually turned some people off to the idea.

I still think there's something great coming.

Google has some something in the works that is getting FDA approval. The word is people that do with heart rate monitoring are examining it. so it could be a wrist device, something for the eye with Glass, or a headphone/headset in the form of a pulse.

I want Apple to tackle this but I find this unlikely for an always-on device on the wrist unless it uses some sophisticated wireless to take a pulse. But do we really need that on all the time? Wouldn't just the option to place your finger on the device on your wrist to take the pulse whilst running be enough? If not, perhaps the headphone pulse rate monitor I've read about would be a good fit.
  • Reply 27 of 27

I liked your comment calling the design of the charging cable "offensive".