IK Multimedia brings spatial gesture controls to iOS with 'iRing'

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Using a combination of wearable rings and custom software, IK Multimedia's new iRing system allows iOS apps to recognize and respond to mid-air gestures in much the same way as product like Microsoft's Kinect motion controller.

iRing

The specially-designed reversible rings are tracked using the built-in front-facing camera on Apple's iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch devices. Software then takes over, using proprietary algorithms to analyze the images and translate the rings' movements into commands.

Each ring features two distinct patterns that can be combined with a gesture to trigger different actions.

IK Multimedia's iRing FX/Control app acts as a hub for the iRing system. Compatible with both AudioBus and Inter-App Audio, the FX/Control app takes responsibility for tracking and communicating instructions and effects to other music production apps.

The company --?headquartered in Modena, Italy -- has implemented iRing support in its own apps like AmpliTube, SampleTank, and GrooveMaker 2. iRing buyers can also take advantage of iRing Music Maker, a free app aimed at creating new beats on-the-fly that has been specially designed for iRing.

A software development kit is available for developers wishing to add iRing support in their own apps, and IK Multimedia promises a free licensing program for music-focused apps.

The ?19.99 iRing comes in three colors and is now available for pre-order from IK Multimedia's website.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Birdie Finder Gesture?  How does that one work?

• Reply 2 of 10
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    I recall a rumor that the next Apple TV would require the user to wear some sort of ring to control the thing.

Not sure about that but would be better than the current crap Apple TV remote. I use an iPhone and iPad with mine.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Fail.

iRing is the new stylus.

• Reply 4 of 10
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    How long before there are gloves to wear so I can Sign instead of type? I promise not to while driving. There's only one sign I need for that and it's one-handed.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Could have some pretty cool music applications as it's intended, sort of making it a new type of instrument.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    nikiloknikilok Posts: 383member

I call this Crap and totally Boring !

• Reply 7 of 10
    nikiloknikilok Posts: 383member

A tablet or an iPhone isn't the form factor for jedi hand tricks.. A Tv is a better platform for that stuff ..

• Reply 8 of 10
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

A conductor stick might work well for those music apps too.

• Reply 10 of 10

..but will it differentiate between, spiderman, spock and the shocker hand signals??