Hands-on: Narrative, the iPhone-compatible, wearable lifeblogging camera

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
There may not be a better place to show off a product such as the Narrative -- a life documenting wearable camera that can automatically capture every moment -- than on the floor of a chaotic major event like the 2014 Consumer Electronics Show.

Narrative

With so much going on this week and so much to see at CES in Las Vegas, it would be easy to forget many of the things that happened throughout the day. That's the line of thought behind the Narrative, a tiny 5-megapixel camera with GPS that automatically snaps two photos per minute.

Martin Kallstrom, CEO and co-founder of Narrative, told AppleInsider on Wednesday that he's always had an urge to document his life, but going out of your way to snap a picture of a life event isn't always convenient or even possible. That's where the clip-on Narrative camera comes in.

"When I'm with my kids, I want to be 100 percent present with them, and that goes for everything I do," Kallstrom said. "I've been really annoyed in the past when you're having the best of times, you're hanging out at the beach -- a warm, calm breeze in the air -- and the thing about it is, 'How can I put this on Facebook?' I want to forget about Facebook, but I still have the urge to capture memories, so I want to separate that."

Narrative

The Narrative is essentially a camera with no buttons that automatically snaps pictures throughout the day. Users can interact with it through gestures, or can turn the camera off by putting it face down or in a pocket. To take a photo out of sequence, simply double-tap the camera face.

"We wanted to make a product that was adhering to the principle of calm technology, so it doesn't scream for attention or want you to focus on the product," Kallstrom said. "It enables you to do whatever you want and the device takes care of itself."

When snapping two pictures per minute, the Narrative is claimed to have a battery life of 2 days, over the course of which it will capture around 4,000 total photos. The device will also come with cloud storage for those images, as well as a dedicated application to organize pictures based on data such as GPS, image detection and more.

Narrative

Unsurprisingly, Kallstrom was indeed wearing his Narrative around CES, and showed us how it captured images from throughout his hectic day. From a flow of photos we were able to view keyframes through the day, and tapping on a keyframe would show the entire sequence attached to it.

Kallstrom sees other uses for the Narrative beyond so-called "lifeblogging," such as people who work in security, or maybe individuals who work in a profession where they feel unsafe and wish to be able to document their surroundings. He cited studies that show interactions between police and citizens are calmer for both sides if the police are wearing cameras.

The CEO also suggested that people with memory impairment could see benefits from the Narrative, allowing them to remember events throughout their day that may have slipped away.

Narrative

Narrative has been shipping to early backers since November in small shipments. Users can preorder now from the official website to get in line for shipping by the end of February 2014. Orders for immediate delivery are expected to begin in March.

The Narrative costs $279 and comes with one year of cloud storage. After the first year, users can pay $9 per year to continue using their cloud account. The Narrative application requires the cloud storage, while users who do not wish to use the service can download the images to their computer and sort through the manually.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    Standing clap!
  • Reply 2 of 12
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Very nice. Great price. Great Product. Sounds like a winner to me.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"When I'm with my kids, I want to be 100 percent present with them, and that goes for everything I do," Kallstrom said. "I've been really annoyed in the past when you're having the best of times, you're hanging out at the beach -- a warm, calm breeze in the air -- and the thing about it is, 'How can I put this on Facebook?' I want to forget about Facebook, but I still have the urge to capture memories, so I want to separate that."

Commendable. Bravo.

I see a bright future for specialized camcorders that exist to remove the barrier between the cinematographer and the experience he’s having. That’s wearable technology done right. Not Glass.

• Reply 4 of 12
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    "We wanted to make a product that was adhering to the principle of calm technology, so it doesn't scream for attention or want you to focus on the product".

In other words, one that you can surreptitiously wear into locker rooms or beaches to take spycam shots with, and that isn't as likely to get you beaten up as Google Glass.

Gotcha.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    I can't help but laugh. It reminds me of a recent night out to see a band. The crowd was mostly 20 somethings. Everyone had their phones out recording and posting. Recording and posting. They could not just enjoy the moment. They only got satisfaction if they received replies to their posts.

Is it a narcissism rooted in insecurity that makes younger people feel the need to expose their whole life and hope somebody else thinks they are cool?

Sorry for my rant.

Would you feel imposed upon if you were talking to a person wearing one of these products? I think I might feel like some social barrier was being breached.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    That looks like it would crunch under a heel quite nicely.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Should be mandatory for law enforcement. For normal social encounters, not so much. I personally would not care to be in anyone's social media post without my permission, for example.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    I don't take many photos now, maybe one or two a week. Occasionally I'll take like 10 of an event, and I still feel like my photo album is too full. And of course I'm eyeing and framing the shots, so they look cool. It's hard to imagine how overwhelming it would be after a few months with all those photos. Plus, half the photos you need were between the two minute interval, or your body was facing away, or in a crowd all you see is peoples shoulders. Also, I don't wear many shirts with pockets. I guess I could start, but then I'm altering behavior more than just using my phone which probably looks absurdly better cause of framing and timing. And wearing a shirt with pockets to the beach would be a drag ;) I can see the police scenario but it's hard to see it for the general public.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Nearly 300 bucks for a 5 megapixel automatic camera? I like robots as much as the next guy, but I would want a really good one.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Cloud Storage? How many clouds are we going to need?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    I think it's cool. Looks like a tiny AirPort Extreme :)
  • Reply 12 of 12
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Yes people will buy this, but another dump product, i am not sure what it is with people need to completely document their lives, i am sorry you are not that important. Really though, once people realize what this is they were be a backlash, other will not want to be part of you picture taking. 

Do not believe me, look at this guys experience when he walk around just recording people in public.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SurveillantCameraMan