Audi shows off 'Smart Display' Android-powered in-car tablet

Comments

• Reply 121 of 157

Last time I said this, I got accused of posting politics in here, but I'll say it again anyway. There is a lot of bigotry in here, I guess it's the pack mentality/peer group thing, along with Internet anonymity. That said, you could replace "Audi" and "Android" in this thread with "Obama" and "liberals," and it would look a lot like the nonsense I see sometimes on Facebook or hear in sound bites from Fox News.

• Reply 122 of 157
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Last time I said this, I got accused of posting politics in here, but I'll say it again anyway. There is a lot of bigotry in here, I guess it's the pack mentality/peer group thing, along with Internet anonymity. That said, you could replace "Audi" and "Android" in this thread with "Obama" and "liberals," and it would look a lot like the nonsense I see sometimes on Facebook or hear in sound bites from Fox News.

People have preferences with politics, TV shows, automobiles, OSes, etc. but why turn it into a one-sided political argument? Even if your analogy required converting to politics (although I don't see what relevance it has) you could make yourself sound more objective and balanced by writing " That said, you could replace Audi and Android in this thread with Obama or Bush and liberals or republicans" instead of simply writing "That said, you could replace Audi and Android in this thread with Obama and liberals."
  • Reply 123 of 157
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    themacman wrote: »
    I am thinking that the best of you dripped down your mama's leg.

Good thing it wasn't yo' mama, as base jumping is illegal.
  • Reply 124 of 157
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Never heard a "yo mamma's so tall" joke before.
  • Reply 125 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

People have preferences with politics, TV shows, automobiles, OSes, etc. but why turn it into a one-sided political argument? Even if your analogy required converting to politics (although I don't see what relevance it has) you could make yourself sound more objective and balanced by writing " That said, you could replace Audi and Android in this thread with Obama or Bush and liberals or republicans" instead of simply writing "That said, you could replace Audi and Android in this thread with Obama and liberals."

Fair point. Noted. Still sounds a lot more like the kind of intolerance I hear from some vocal conservatives though.

• Reply 126 of 157
    hill60 wrote: »
    Good thing it wasn't yo' mama, as base jumping is illegal.

Are we jumping into racism now? If we are, I'd recommend doing it face to face so we can truly have a meaningful conversation. I am confident that I can impart some of my wisdom on to you. Let me know if you'd like to pursue this approach, and I'll be happy to accommodate you, but I think you like to hide behind your computer. I think we should stop here because we're both are having way too much fun. God bless you my son.
  • Reply 127 of 157
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    What the hell is happening to this thread?
  • Reply 128 of 157
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What the hell is happening to this thread?

I went back and checked. It looks like a friendly jab turned into friendly insults that… somewhere along the line may have turned less than friendly. 

• Reply 129 of 157
    cyberjcyberj Posts: 19member
    wow!! the droid dorks are really coming to their lame ass OS's defense , huh.

poor fools
    You're here too? With the same comment? Fishy indeed, must be a pro troll! Stupid mother fucker.
  • Reply 130 of 157
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nut z

I do agree with the sentiment that whatever car I buy better work seamlessly with whatever phone I'm using whether that's an iPhone or something else.  I almost got my wife the Nokia for the better camera but the iPhone 5S was good enough camera wise to stay iPhone this go around.

We went to see the BMWs today - looked at a really nice 328iX that can stream my iPhone 5s wirelessly - can also use Siri .... 

I'm thinking of a Munich pickup and a 10 day European vacation - driving around and listening to the music on my iPhone ....

Goodbye Audi ----  

• Reply 131 of 157
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    cynic wrote: »
    Mind you, I have no idea about how this is perceived in the US. However, calling BMW a lesser car company than VW, is quite interesting, unless of course you're referring to plain size and amount of brands owned.

However, in their home country, those two brands do not even play in the same class. One might even start arguing whether Audi actually plays in the same class as BMW and Mercedes.

Well, Volkswagen Group sells passenger cars under the Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, SEAT, Škoda and Volkswagen marques; motorcycles under the Ducati brand; and commercial vehicles under the MAN, Scania, Neoplan and Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles marques.

Compared to that, BMW does BMW, Mini and Rolls-Royce. I think BMW, as a Group, is somewhat lesser than VW Group.

I was surprised with OP's "failing quality" statement, but quick search for "BMW quality issues" did return remarkable number of links, and most worrying is that many of those are from 2013. Searching for "Audi quality issues" did return number of links as well, but they seem to be spread over the years, rather than focused on NOW... so OP might have a point there as well...
  • Reply 132 of 157
    bigphotos wrote: »
    We went to see the BMWs today - looked at a really nice 328iX that can stream my iPhone 5s wirelessly - can also use Siri .... 

I'm thinking of a Munich pickup and a 10 day European vacation - driving around and listening to the music on my iPhone ....

Goodbye Audi ----  

Please don't buy a BMW.
    Read this first...

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/06/12/bmw-shuns-apples-ios-in-the-car-to-stick-with-its-own-technology
  • Reply 133 of 157
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Well, Volkswagen Group sells passenger cars under the Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, SEAT, Škoda and Volkswagen marques; motorcycles under the Ducati brand; and commercial vehicles under the MAN, Scania, Neoplan and Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles marques.

Compared to that, BMW does BMW, Mini and Rolls-Royce. I think BMW, as a Group, is somewhat lesser than VW Group.

I was surprised with OP's "failing quality" statement, but quick search for "BMW quality issues" did return remarkable number of links, and most worrying is that many of those are from 2013. Searching for "Audi quality issues" did return number of links as well, but they seem to be spread over the years, rather than focused on NOW... so OP might have a point there as well...

Isn't this a bit like comparing Android and IOS, Audi is android with its multitude of models and fragmented product line. BMW is IOS, limited number of well designed models. Small product line, great design, great build quality, great performance....

Samsung as a corporation is greater than Apple, but look at all the crap they produce.

• Reply 134 of 157
    st88st88 Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Small product line

Small? You're joking right?

• 1 series Coupe*

• 1 series Convertible*

• 1 series 3 door

• 1 series 5 door

• 2 series Coupe

• 3 series Sedan

• 3 series Touring

• 3 series Gran Turismo

• 3 series ActiveHybrid

• 4 series Coupe

• 4 series Convertible

• 4 series Gran Coupe

• 5 series Sedan

• 5 series Touring

• 5 series Gran Turismo

• 5 series ActiveHybrid

• 6 series Coupe

• 6 series Convertible

• 6 series Gran Coupe

• 7 series Sedan

• 7 series ActiveHybrid

• Z4 Roadster

• X1

• X3

• X5

• X6

• M3 Sedan

• M3 Convertible*

• M4 Coupe

• M5 Sedan

• M6 Coupe

• M6 Gran Coupe

• M6 Convertible

• X6 M

• i3

• i8

* = exiting the market

And there are others coming in the not so distant future:

• X4

• 2 series Gran Coupe

• 2 series Convertible

• 2 series Active Tourer

• M2

• M2 Gran Coupe

• M2 Convertible

• M4 Gran Coupe

• M4 Convertible

• Reply 135 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigPhotos View Post

Goodbye Audi ----  

Personally, I think your reasoning for leaving Audi is a bit odd.

That being said, I would definitely recommend the 328i xDrive over the A4 Quattro.  I've had mine for about a year now and it's great.  Fun in the summer and capable enough to handle a Canadian winter.

• Reply 136 of 157
    Originally Posted by st88 View Post

Small? You're joking right?

Steve looks at that and does this:

• 7 series Coupe

• 7 series Convertible

• 7 series Gran Turismo

• 7 series Electric

• Reply 137 of 157
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Steve looks at that and does this:

• 7 series Coupe

• 7 series Convertible

• 7 series Gran Turismo

• 7 series Electric

I'm not following.

• Reply 138 of 157
    Originally Posted by st88 View Post

I'm not following.

It’s a lot of products! A lot of repeat. A consumer looks at that and doesn’t know what’s what other than “big number mean better thing”. Were it Apple’s lineup, they would trim it down to four or five best products.

• Reply 139 of 157
    Quote:

It’s a lot of products! A lot of repeat. A consumer looks at that and doesn’t know what’s what other than “big number mean better thing”. Were it Apple’s lineup, they would trim it down to four or five best products.

Right.

• Reply 140 of 157
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Except that this is false:

Mac Mini 

iMac 21"

iMac 27"

Mac Pro 

iPad Mini 

iPad Air 

MBA 11"

MBA 13" 

MBP 13"

MBPr 13" 

MBPr 15" 

Not even counting the good/better/best within each model the Apple computer lineup has 5 different "series" and 11 discrete models.

Folks looking at a 3 series isn't in the same market as those looking at the bigger sedans any more than folks looking at the Mac Mini are really in the same market as the Mac Pro even through they are both desktops.  Much less for different categories (like SUV).

BMW's model lineup is not quite as razor focused as Apple's but it is easy to figure out which series you want.  Then the kind of car (coupe, sedan or convertible).  Done.

Razor sharp was Porsche: 911, Boxster, Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera done.