Spotify rolls out subscription-free 'Shuffle play' mode for iOS

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Swedish music streaming service Spotify on Wednesday released an update to its iPhone and iPad apps that officially enables new subscription-free streaming features the company promised last month.

Spotify

Users accessing the Spotify service on their iPhone can now stream any artist's entire catalog without a paid subscription, though playback is restricted to shuffle mode on Apple's handsets. Both user-created and Spotify-curated playlists can also be streamed at no cost with the same shuffle-only restriction.

Those using the service's iPad app, however, are not subject to the same limitations. The update allows tablet owners to stream any song at any time, though audio advertisements will still be present.

Spotify previously required mobile users to have a paid subscription as a condition of its licensing agreements with music labels. Word that the company was seeking to eliminate that constraint surfaced last February, and the new plans were officially announced in December.

Increasing pressure from established competitors like Pandora and new threats such as Apple's iTunes Radio, which offers ad-supported streaming for free on most Apple devices, is believed to have been the catalyst behind Spotify's decision. Despite its popularity, the service continues to hemorrhage money and was forced to seek $200 million in new venture financing last November.

Spotify version 0.9.2 is available now as a free, 35.4-megabyte download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

I have had this option for a month.

• Reply 2 of 7
    larz2112larz2112 Posts: 291member

It amazes me that consumers are fine with paying $50-80/month for TV service and $10-20/month for movie services like Netflix, but don't see a problem with paying nothing for the music they listen to. As a musician and songwriter, I see services like Spotify, Pandora and iTunes radio as robber barons that are raping the music industry and the people using these services simple turn a blind eye.

• Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Larz2112 View Post

It amazes me that consumers are fine with paying $50-80/month for TV service and $10-20/month for movie services like Netflix, but don't see a problem with paying nothing for the music they listen to. As a musician and songwriter, I see services like Spotify, Pandora and iTunes radio as robber barons that are raping the music industry and the people using these services simple turn a blind eye.

Artists don't understand that they will in fact make more based on volume with this service. It baffles me that people can't do the math. More users=more plays=more money and exposure. 

Secondly, how is this news now? This launched over a month ago.

• Reply 4 of 7
    I'm glad it is news though, I hadn't realised this feature had been introduced :)
  • Reply 5 of 7
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

I wish iTunes Radio would have gone more toward Spotify and less like Pandora. I don't think how iTunes Radio chooses music for you and "tries" to learn (and in my experience fails). 

• Reply 6 of 7
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RollingRock1988 View Post

Artists don't understand that they will in fact make more based on volume with this service. It baffles me that people can't do the math. More users=more plays=more money and exposure. 

LOL.  Nobody knows the math better than the artists and it's a horrible situation for them.  Never heard someone claim that artists, who have been neck deep in this for years, don't understand how great it is.

• Reply 7 of 7
    larz2112 wrote: »

Warning - opinion ahead:
    I refuse to pay for TV. Most of it is utter crap and not worth what they charge. I've got better things to do than to schedule my life around programmed TV. Netflix is nice, as well as other on demand video services because I can watch what I want when I want. Radio is a bit of a different beast because radio can be listened to while being active (running, driving, etc). An internet radio service that feeds me random songs that it thinks I like or that I have previously liked fills that need. A free ad supported service is good in my book because I just use it for discovery mainly with intent on buying the music in actually like. I'll also use it when I feel like listening to something different. These radio services may be viewed by artists as un/necessary evil, but to the consumer they are a godsend. Without the consumer, the artists have nothing - if they are in it for money that is.

Agree somewhat... this should happen if they are good, popular or not.
    jlandd wrote: »
    LOL.  Nobody knows the math better than the artists and it's a horrible situation for them.  Never heard someone claim that artists, who have been neck deep in this for years, don't understand how great it is.

I will NOT buy a song/album until I have heard it. I don't want to waste my money on drivel. I will not buy just because of a name or because someone says it's good. I have been burned a few times by doing that and will not do it again.

These services are good for the consumer so they don't get trapped into buying a crap song/album. That is what the artists are really afraid of - not being able to get away with robbery because they think their music is all that and a bag of chips. Produce something good, the more people won't skip over it and more likely someone will buy it when they discover it. People want to be entertained, and if your music doesn't entertain in any form, I would say you're either a niche, too early for your time, or your just plain bad.

These services are good for discovery. I've found several artists through them and subsequently bought some of their music. Those are sales they would not have otherwise had.