Wireless printer finger pointing

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I seem to be stuck in an infinite loop of finger pointing regarding printing and I'm hoping some of you can give me some advice or at least your take on all this.

I have a USB printer hooked up to my AirPort extreme. It worked flawlessly up until I upgraded to Leopard. Since then, it's been nothing but a headache. If I connect it directly to my iMac, it still prints like a charm. I finally got it to at least print something wirelessly by using the Gutenprint driver associated with it, but the printing performance is pitiful and just plain unacceptable. The manufacturer's printer driver, released essentially coincident with the release of Leopard, just will not work with wireless printing via the AirPort Extreme.

Here's the problem: Apple keeps telling me (essentially) it's the manufacturer's fault, that their driver isn't really Leopard-compatible. The manufacturer says I need to contact Apple, that their driver is indeed Leopard-compatible. So, who do I believe? How do I find out who the real culpret is here? I've been dealing with this problem since October. I was hoping 10.5.2 would resolve these issues, but they didn't. I'm ready to throw the printer out the window. Help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    I don't have a wireless printer set up (yet), and I'm sure you must've tried this already, but have you uninstalled the original drivers (Tiger) and installed the Leopard drivers?

There might be a software upgrade error. (I had a problem like this with my 'Made for Vista' ATI 512MB graphic card when I was beta testing Vista)

My suggestion would be to remove the printer's drivers completely, then reinstall the Tiger drivers on Leopard, and then try to connect through the wireless.

I'm not 100% (or even 75%) sure if this would work, but it's worth a shot. As usual, back up before doing major surgery.
  • Reply 2 of 2

With the improvement of technology,there are more and more electronic products appear in people's daily life.We have to admit that the mobile phone make our modern life better and more convenient.However the cell phone sometimes cause new problems and breaks up people's peaceful life.To create a quiet condition, the Remote Control Jammer phone blocker can help a lot.