Samsung planning to one-up Apple's Touch ID with iris scanner in Galaxy S5

Comments

• Reply 21 of 186
    Brilliant $amsung...

I can just see a lineup at Starbucks...

Hang on Ms. Barista, I need to unlock my phone ( places phone up to eye for 5 seconds)...
  • Reply 22 of 186
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Queue the comments that people will get their eyes torn out to activate their stolen phones instead of cutting off fingers ... Oh wait, that was the Scamsung trolls.

Reminds me of the opening scene of Demolition Man...

• Reply 23 of 186
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

So I have to aim the phone at my eye?

Yeah, this sounds more convenient than a fingerprint sensor on a button you would normally push when operating a phone.

Not to mention when I'm in a darkened area, like when laying in bed or on the sofa in a darkened room.  Even as you're instructed (no doubt by some lame onscreen message box) to hold the phone in front of your face for longer than it would take to just enter the password, will it then tell you to move to a more well lit area?  Ha Ha Ha Ha... what a joke!

• Reply 25 of 186
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jusephe View Post

Samsung will of course try to paint this as an necessary feature... I am actually waiting when a first samsung ad (with Apple fans in queue for next iPhone...) will come out...

Apple fan: It's has bigger screen !

Samung Fan: This has an even bigger one.

A: This has an 64 bit processor !

S: This has an octa core processor.

A: You can unlock it with an fingerprint !

( touch ID plus finger, the iPhone refuses to unlock few times then the A have to type in the password)

S: Oh it doesn't work properly, it isn't even secure like everyone can get to your fingerprints.

A: But you don't have anything like that or ?

S: I can unlock it with my Eye, wach this ! (S looks at their phone, it unlocks instantly)

A: wow that is incredible what is that ?

S: It's the galaxy S5... From SAMSUNG

The bext big thing is already here, the samsung galaxy S5.

Key concept in those Samsung ads: people queue for Apple products.  You'd think they wouldn't want to point that out.  LOL!

• Reply 26 of 186
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Oh Samsung, subtly but fatally off again with your product ideas. How's this supposed to work? Either you stick the phone right up to your eye, or with magnification it can be held at a distance but will the recognition software be able to overcome the pronounced jitter and lower effective resolution?
  • Reply 27 of 186
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

It would be interesting to see how that works. Do peeps need to remove their eyeglasses? Knowing Sammy, it'll be a half-ass solution that is more trouble than its worth.

Well, peeps will definitely have to remove their sunglasses.  Silly SameSong!

• Reply 28 of 186
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    [QUOTE]Samsung planning to one-up Apple's Touch ID with iris scanner in Galaxy S5[/QUOTE]

I can't wait for Samsung's 65-bit processor.
  • Reply 29 of 186
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

Can't wait to see it ;)

I do like the sound of them changing their design to look different, perhaps they are finally moving away from copying the look of others? Or they've selected a different target to copy, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

It'll look like a Dyson vacuum.

• Reply 30 of 186
    Interesting concept but there are a number of challenges in execution I think. With a few obstacles that I think ultimately will handicap it's use for the end client. Just my opinion though.
    First the technical limitations - if you read the wiki on iris recognition (not retina scanning) it seems to work with few false positives. Except according to wiki "Many commercial iris scanners can be easily fooled by a high quality image of an iris or face in place of the real thing". If that's true than unlike fingerprints which they were able to break the iPhone 5S security by creating a model based off a fingerprint, then in theory a high quality picture would do.
    A second technical limitation which I found a bit amusing was "Alcohol consumption causes recognition degradation as the pupil dilates/constricts causing deformation in the iris pattern" So it might not work if you're drunk!?
    A third limitation I can see is light or lack thereof. If there is not enough light for the CCD camera to see the iris?
    A fourth limitation might exist for people with glasses might cause a reflection degrading the image. Or colour contacts. Definitely sunglasses.
    Other questions from a technology standpoint are how long does it have to scan an eye to achieve a result and how stable does the eye have to be? Also where is the data being stored? Seperately like the iPhone5s or somewhere in memory. And how easy would it be take control of the CCD camera and send a signal to it or send a virus to override it? The fingerprint scanner is totally separate from everything (or so I think) while the CCD camera on a phone is used for multiple purposes which I think in theory makes it more vulnerable. I also wonder how much power consumption is required comparing the two. If it comes at a cost of battery life (or phone weight) that wouldn't be good.

Moving away from technology I think the user experience also has to be taken into consideration. One of the reasons I would want a iPhone5s (i currently have a 5) is because it would allow me to easily access my phone while driving. Don't know how many times the password lock has made it a pain to quickly check something (maybe this is a good thing but there are certain times that a quick check or access of a address or phone number you have in an open email would be useful).
    Second is as people mentioned the way people access the phone. The reader built into the home button is a natural progression of what they normally do. I don't think iris recognition is.
    Ultimately it sounds like a "cool" technology rather than a non-intrusive technology like the iPhone 5s.

To be fair, I think we would want to see how it's executed but not sure how useful it's going to be... but having said that at least for me one of the primary reasons for wanting the fingerprint scanner would not be met with a iris recognition technology.
  • Reply 31 of 186
    Yet another thing Apple revolutionized and made better.
  • Reply 32 of 186
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

My iPhone 5S rarely gives me any trouble. I can probably count on one hand how many times I've seen the "Try Again" prompt. At most we're talking about a few times out of thousands of operations.

I can count on one hand how many times Touch ID has actually worked for me in the last 2 months. It refuses to even scan my fingerprints now.

• Reply 33 of 186
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

What is it about Samsung that appears to make them incapable of distinguishing useful from pointless and practical from impractical? Even now that they have seen how to implement a functional and largely seamless authentication method, they instead drone on about using a technique that makes no sense from a practical user perspective.

• Reply 34 of 186
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

Actually I think the reason why Samsung isn't going with a fingerprint scanner is because they can't make it work as well. A retina scanner will be compared as a biometric but it won't be compared on as many levels as it would be as a fingerprint scanner. I assume it won't be too long before Samsung et al. can do a decent facsimile of TouchID now that hey can see how Apple does it but it's possible they can't even get into the same ballpark as TouchID which I think depends on ARM64's new cryptology and secret Apple's A7 SoC features that make it operate so quickly.
  • Reply 35 of 186
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

I can count on one hand how many times Touch ID has actually worked for me in the last 2 months. It refuses to even scan my fingerprints now.

Good thing it's still under warranty.  You should get that fixed.  Especially if it used to work for you and then stopped working.

• Reply 36 of 186
    kpom wrote: »

Wow... that sucks!

Maybe I'm lucky. I've never had to re-train it either. It's worked the same since I got the phone 2 months ago.
  • Reply 37 of 186
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by it3chwithnate View Post

Actually I think the reason why Samsung isn't going with a fingerprint scanner is because they can't make it work as well. A retina scanner will be compared as a biometric but it won't be compared on as many levels as it would be as a fingerprint scanner. I assume it won't be too long before Samsung et al. can do a decent facsimile of TouchID now they can see how Apple does it but it's possible if they can't even get into the same ballpark as TouchID which I think depends on ARM64's new cryptology and secret Apple's A7 SoC features that make it operate so quickly.

That's an interesting theory. If correct, I would expect them now to just keep talking up "better" authentication methods until they can make fingerprint scanning work for them, since it's hard to imagine how any alternative will be both viable and practical in the immediate future. If iris scanning makes it into a real device, other than for special security-critical applications, I think it will be a short-lived gimmick.

• Reply 38 of 186
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    dv8or wrote: »
    That will work really well in the dark....

Or in bright light. Our iris is constantly changing in size.
  • Reply 39 of 186
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Actually I think the reason why Samsung isn't going with a fingerprint scanner is because they can't make it work as well. A retina scanner will be compared as a biometric but it won't be compared on as many levels as it would be as a fingerprint scanner. I assume it won't be too long before Samsung et al. can do a decent facsimile of TouchID now they can see how Apple does it but it's possible if they can't even get into the same ballpark as TouchID which I think depends on ARM64's new cryptology and secret Apple's A7 SoC features that make it operate so quickly.

Except it's not a retina scanner, it's a iris scanner which is in the front of the eye, but I really can't see that working too well. Sometimes one can't 'one up' the competition.
  • Reply 40 of 186
    Iris scanner will be a first, a creation of Samsung. That's honest competition.

Who can complain?