Samsung planning to one-up Apple's Touch ID with iris scanner in Galaxy S5

Comments

• Reply 61 of 186
    Samsung is developing so much new technology. Apple will have to stop counting on American protectionism to do business. They will have to do R&D soon.

I would like to see a Smartwatch from Apple. For now, Apple can't produce a Smartwatch superior to the first model of the Samsung Gear? That's why there is no iWatch. I like to buy best technology. I would like to buy something from Apple.

Please go to R&D and honor the memory of Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 62 of 186
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Duplicate post, please delete
  • Reply 63 of 186
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

No matter what Apple comes out with, Samsung will try to one-up Apple. That's how successful businesses compete. Samsung must have a huge R&D department seeing how they manage to put out so many products of all different types within such a short time. Apple can barely manage to put out one new product a year while Samsung comes out with 20 new products which I find amazing from a logistics standpoint. Their product planning division must have hundreds of people working around the clock.

Apple tends to license tech or buy out companies with tech that looking interesting. Case in point is Touch ID in which AuthenTec originally made their tech available in Android phones. Or their 64-bit CPU which is a customized ARMv8-A-based chip. NVIDIA already unveiled their 64-bit ARM chip and others to follow shortly.

One thing that concerns me is Intel. At the rate ARM-based chips are improving in energy efficiency and performance, Intel should be seriously worried ARM could become an inexpensive threat in the not too distant future. ARM already dominates phones, tablets, handheld consoles (Nintendo 3DS and PlayStation Vita), smart TVs, and children's educational toys.

• Reply 64 of 186

Will this be as successful and ubiquitous as Face Lock? 

• Reply 65 of 186
    Yes, an iris scanner. Maybe they'll add that to their already dumb as hell watch ad, where the idiot with phone in hand, instead of answering the phone, turns it away and answers with the watch. So intuitive! Why answer the phone in your hand with the actual phone? Perhaps the new ad will show the same idiot answering with the watch and then turning the phone back to his face to scan for final confirmation, and then going back to talking on the watch. Ugh, these people are idiots.
  • Reply 66 of 186
    Well, they wouldn't be copying anyone, and they wouldn't have to worry about anyone copying them for that horrible idea, so there's that.
  • Reply 67 of 186

Iris Scanner for Samsung Glass.....:smokey:

• Reply 68 of 186
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    thedba wrote: »
    I love it when some say that it will force Apple to do something.

Historically speaking Apple is the company that marches to its own drumbeat.
    exhibit A: What did computers look like before the Macintosh
    exhibit B: What did music players look like before the iPod
    exhibit C: How did we listen to music before iTunes
    exhibit D: How did smartphones function, if you can call it that, before the iPhone
    exhibit E: What were tablets before the iPad

So whose example is Apple supposed to follow again?

You forgot
    exhibit F: what did fingerprint scanners on smartphones look like before and after the iPhone 5s?
  • Reply 69 of 186
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,110member
    Maybe ear recognition would be better, since people are already accustomed to holding their phone up to their ear!

(Kidding, of course.)
  • Reply 70 of 186
    I'm skeptical that they will be able to make an iris based identification system that works as well as Touch ID (which isn't perfect). It's very natural to place your thumb on the Touch ID sensor when grabbing the device to activate/unlock it. Will you need to hold the phone in front of your fact and look straight at it to authenticate via an iris. Best of luck Samsung.
  • Reply 70 of 186
    I'm skeptical that they will be able to make an iris based identification system that works as well as Touch ID (which isn't perfect). It's very natural to place your thumb on the Touch ID sensor when grabbing the device to activate/unlock it. Will you need to hold the phone in front of your fact and look straight at it to authenticate via an iris. Best of luck Samsung.
  • Reply 73 of 186
    I agree with the comments here. I get the feeling that Samsung is made up of the same type of designers who thought that I wanted a television remote with 30 buttons plus a flap to hide the buttons that they knew I didn't actually want in the first place.

The only possibly "good" implementation of this technology is if it integrates with Google Glass.
  • Reply 74 of 186
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    An in convenient truth:

Having wasted some of their R&D on fingerprint tech and couldn't get it to work they are now scrambling to find another way to do it. Obviously scanning the iris is not the way to go because it is much more inconvenient and probably technically more difficult to get a good image, Oh yeah having to remove one's glasses and/or sunglasses to access the phone. Nice one Samsung, go ahead waste more money . Samsung is doomed I tell you .Samsung's share price is down from a high of especially afte the warning they issued. Finally all the false hype and sales manipulation is coming home to roost i.e. Bottom line is a company's share price is fueled by profit (revenue) just watch what happnes as Samsung profits drop Samsung has another big problem: its reliance on Android: money. Overseas versions of the OS are often stripped of their Google functionality, in favor of local alternatives like Baidu basically negating Samsung profit-sharing arrangement with Google . With a different operating system a truly neutral one Samsung could leverage its market share into lucrative deals with regional content providers. Better margins could turn into a decisive advantage as smartphones commoditize, and competition becomes a function of price.
  • Reply 75 of 186
    petripetri Posts: 118member
    mknopp wrote: »
    Yes, iris scans are not as convenient as fingerprint scans, but they are also more secure. People leave their fingerprints all over the place when they touch things. Heck, they leave their fingerprints on the very device that they are trying to secure. The iris doesn't leave anything behind when it looks at something.

Except for its image on anything set up to record it. You need physical access to lift a fingerprint, but the very existence of Samsung's scanner (if it does exist) shows you can easily scan and copy someone's iris from a distance.

According to research, a good quality image of the iris is all you need to fool most iris scanners - and the way cameras are getting, that could mean just cropping your photo from Facebook.
  • Reply 76 of 186
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member

I don't think I want to pay $1500 for a remote! or even $50

• Reply 77 of 186
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpd514 View Post

Iris scanner will be a first, a creation of Samsung. That's honestly misguided competition.

Fixed that for you...

• Reply 78 of 186
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    darklite wrote: »
    Successful iris scanners are in fact a thing. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iris_recognition

This looks particularly interesting:
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-20060154-52.html (scroll down to "Iris on the Move")

It looks like there are products capable of scanning irises at range, at an angle, and while the person is moving. The ones described here cost upwards of $7000 and are fairly bulky compared to a smartphone; if Samsung have found a way to produce low-cost miniaturized iris scanners then that's a very impressive achievement. I suspect we won't see it due to size / accuracy / price / complexity constraints, though.

1) Thanks for the links.

2) In Samsung's defense they have the money to through at R&D and if you look at AuthenTec's demos before Apple incorporated it's hard to imagine it could ever reasonably be in a smartphone.

Even in last 2009 on an LG phone it still had the old-fashion swipe down method of authentication.

• Reply 79 of 186
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I doubt that this has anything to do with security. It's probably a useless, cheap gimmick that doesn't work very good, just like the face recognition crap turned out to be.

I also believe that Android users in general do not care too much about security, and I also believe that most of them do not have much worth protecting in the first place.

What kind of dumb crook or hacker would want to gain access to an average Android user's phone? Where is the value there? What is to be gained? We are talking about the same people here who don't even want to pay for WIFI access on flights, and the same people who put the C in cheap, with a capital C. Really, what is to be gained from stealing an Android phone? A bunch of debt? A negative bank balance? Their welfare checks? Do many Android users even have a bank account? An Iris scanner on an Android device sounds like a huge waste.

There is a reason why Apple devices are the most in demand devices for thieves to steal. 

• Reply 80 of 186
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I doubt that this has anything to do with security. It's probably a useless, cheap gimmick that doesn't work very good, just like the face recognition crap turned out to be.

I also believe that Android users in general do not care too much about security, and I also believe that most of them do not have much worth protecting in the first place.

What kind of dumb crook or hacker would want to gain access to an average Android user's phone? Where is the value there? What is to be gained? We are talking about the same people here who don't even want to pay for WIFI access on flights, and the same people who put the C in cheap, with a capital C. Really, what is to be gained from stealing an Android phone? A bunch of debt? A negative bank balance? Their welfare checks? Do many Android users even have a bank account? An Iris scanner on an Android device sounds like a huge waste.

There is a reason why Apple devices are the most in demand devices for thieves to steal. 

Why are you so quick to be dismissive? And do you really believe that Android don't have bank accounts, or if they do have a negative balance, and are on welfare? You don't give those that tend to prefer Apple's products a good name.

PS: Here is what Steve Jobs has to say: