Samsung planning to one-up Apple's Touch ID with iris scanner in Galaxy S5

Comments

• Reply 101 of 186
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    2385amh wrote: »
    In the United states specifically this is not true at all, which is why I said in the U.S. in my post.  Verizon, Att, Tmobile, and Sprint all subsidize and account for about 99% of US smartphone owners.

And What am I pretending about exactly?  

Yes but the world consists of more than the US. I didn't mean to insinuate that you were pretending about anything, I was referring to the OP who just can't fathom that anyone with some money would own a Android device.
  • Reply 102 of 186
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    That way, to distinguish franchises, you’d have to answer, “Fuk Mi, Hard Way; how may we serve you?”

"I'd like to order 4,000 bami-gangbangs to go please"
  • Reply 103 of 186
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    If I owned the restaurant, I’d petition to have the street on which it’s located renamed to “Hard Way” and then open another branch on some other street.

That way, to distinguish franchises, you’d have to answer, “Fuk Mi, Hard Way; how may we serve you?”

Ummmm that didn't sound right. :lol:
  • Reply 104 of 186
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

"I'd like to order 4,000 bami-gangbangs to go please"

White or fried rice? Want a little taiyaki with it, if you know what I mean?

• Reply 105 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Yes but the world consists of more than the US. I didn't mean to insinuate that you were pretending about anything, I was referring to the OP who just can't fathom that anyone with some money would own a Android device.

I see, I mistook what you were saying then.  But here is a chart that shows just galaxy phones sales.  And we know that the best selling galaxy devices are the note and S series which are both as expensive or more so then the iphone.

I'm not comparing quality or my personal preference I am just being realistic.  Android as a whole sells more premium phones then apple does.  

this doesn't include any other devices, I assume adding in all devices from all manufactures and the chart would favor android.  Starting in 2012 with the s3 and note samsung alone is competitive with apple in terms of just units.

Edit: found better graph that included 2013

• Reply 106 of 186
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    themacman wrote: »

ROTFL.

Wouldn't you have the same problems? I mean the ass size could change, the skin pigiment could change. $h!t, they gotta choose another body part. Oh, well back to R&D

Answer: rectal scanner. Scanner doubles as a stylus.
  • Reply 107 of 186
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    larrya wrote: »

...and a toothpick
  • Reply 108 of 186
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    jpd514 wrote: »
    Samsung is developing so much new technology. Apple will have to stop counting on American protectionism to do business. They will have to do R&D soon.

I would like to see a Smartwatch from Apple. For now, Apple can't produce a Smartwatch superior to the first model of the Samsung Gear? That's why there is no iWatch. I like to buy best technology. I would like to buy something from Apple.

Please go to R&D and honor the memory of Steve Jobs.

You left the sarcasm tag off.
  • Reply 109 of 186
    mknoppmknopp Posts: 257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LarryA View Post

Nah, anything removable descreases security. You are going to have to shove your whole phone up your ....

Well, you get the picture. In related news just minutes after Samsung announced their new rectal scanner feature all of their customers started clamoring for smaller screened phones and sales of the Galaxy Note series died overnight.

• Reply 110 of 186
    jpd514jpd514 Posts: 51member
    We call that evolution of technology.

No need to take off your finger from your ass hole to unlock your smartphone (finger print), just open you eyes (iris scanner). Their will be some frustrated ass hole. But we can not stop the evolution!

Since some were talking rectal...
  • Reply 111 of 186
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I was about to say the same thing, what apple did is very passive, it does not requirement you to do anything special or extra, you do not need to look at the phone for it to recognize you and unlock the phone. The best technologies are the one that work and you do not know that it doing it for you.

I want to know if this will work in the dark or in middle of the night. I don't want to see this message: "Sorry, I cannot detect your iris, please do this again".

Most Samsung new features are gimmicks...like eye scrolling or another stupid one here: Air Gesture, yeah...you have to move your hand in proximity for it to work...why the f do I want to move the whole palm from my right hand to scroll/flip thru the pages while I can just use my left thumb from one hand to do the same work? Air Gesture is the dumbest implementation that I've ever seen in the mobile devices:

See it for yourself:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/howtoguide/N0000003/10141/120552

• Reply 112 of 186
    darklitedarklite Posts: 229member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mknopp View Post

Yes, and if it is the only security feature it will also require you to hold it up in front of your face to unlock it.

So, how long after Samsung releases this until they are sued because someone walks into something while trying to unlock their smartphone on it blocked their field of view?

I quoted a relevant article here on the previous page:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post

This looks particularly interesting:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-20060154-52.html (scroll down to "Iris on the Move")

It looks like there are products capable of scanning irises at range, at an angle, and while the person is moving. The ones described here cost upwards of $7000 and are fairly bulky compared to a smartphone; if Samsung have found a way to produce low-cost miniaturized iris scanners then that's a very impressive achievement. I suspect we won't see it due to size / accuracy / price / complexity constraints, though.

It's perfectly possible to do something like this without needing to keep your head totally still or having to hold the phone in front of your face - just looking at the device would be enough. The main issue is miniaturization, which can be solved if Samsung invest enough money and time in the relevant R&D. Accuracy is another R&D issue, and price and complexity are lesser issues and can be mitigated somewhat if Samsung fabricated the relevant components themselves.

• Reply 113 of 186

I seriously doubt this will make it to market, even Samsung will recognize how impractical this type of technology is when they attempt to use it. The fact that Samsung is even considering this is further evidence that they're completely delusional when it comes to understanding what's so appealing about Apple products, specifically touch ID. Touch ID scans your finger, which is extremely convenient. It's not necessarily about added security, it's about convenience vs typing in a code. Scanning your eye is not convenient, rather it would likely be very inconvenient. 

• Reply 114 of 186
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Werner View Post

so if you are wearing sunglasses ... do you have to take them off every time you want to unlock your phone? what about regular glasses?

The beauty of the TouchID is that you were gonna press the button anyway ... so there is no "new/added" step in the unlock process

Sounds like it. I wear one or the other (prescription Oakley's or clear continuous curve lenses) and so that'd be a non-starter for me.

• Reply 115 of 186
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

You left the sarcasm tag off.

Probably got deleted by the Korean translation app.

• Reply 116 of 186
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Werner View Post

so if you are wearing sunglasses ... do you have to take them off every time you want to unlock your phone? what about regular glasses?

The beauty of the TouchID is that you were gonna press the button anyway ... so there is no "new/added" step in the unlock process

If you wear gloves, you have to take them off. Samsung fans will argue like that.

• Reply 117 of 186
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thompr View Post

You don't need to unlock your phone when answering a call.

Otherwise would be a brilliant comeback.

No you don't have to, but you have to move your finger over the screen of the phone but don't touch it to take/reject the call using Air Gesture...yep.

• Reply 118 of 186
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by 2385amh View Post

In the united states almost everyone that isn't homeless can easily buy a new high end device that is subsidized by a carrier.

Either with their own money or using their welfare money granted by everyone who actually works, sure.

• Reply 119 of 186
    jpd514jpd514 Posts: 51member
    @jungmark

Do you want please correct this one

"We call that evolution of technology.

No need to take off your finger from your ass hole to unlock your smartphone (finger print), just open you eyes (iris scanner). Their will be some frustrated ass hole. But we can not stop the evolution!

Since some were talking rectal..."

Thanks
  • Reply 120 of 186
    mknoppmknopp Posts: 257member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post

I quoted a relevant article here on the previous page:

It's perfectly possible to do something like this without needing to keep your head totally still or having to hold the phone in front of your face - just looking at the device would be enough. The main issue is miniaturization, which can be solved if Samsung invest enough money and time in the relevant R&D. Accuracy is another R&D issue, and price and complexity are lesser issues and can be mitigated somewhat if Samsung fabricated the relevant components themselves.

I am not sure where everyone is getting the idea that iris scanning takes some major breakthrough in technology. Sure, a system meant to scan a large number of people as they pass through an open area may cost a lot of money, but most of the costly components (lenses and tracking systems) wouldn't be necessary for a smartphone.

I finally found an article about Dr. Leonard Flom's work on iris scanning, although not the exact one I was wanting.

I am including an excerpt of the article ("Closing the Door on ?Iris Recognition Vulnerabilities") from http://www.afcea.org/content/?q=node/11607.

"For now, the solution to that challenge is to combine a scan of the mother’s iris with an image of the baby’s ear, Flom offers. This provides four different elements for a database: both of the mother’s eyes, and both of the newborn’s ears. This approach has been tested successfully in Israel, he relates, because the research requirements there were less sclerotic than in the United States.

This effort also demonstrated that any conventional off-the-shelf image capture device will work “We can use an iPhone, an iPad, even Google Glasses as well as any digital camera,” he observes."

To clarify, they used off-the-shelf (the other article that I read said iPhones, I believe, but I cannot find it again) image capture devices to do their research. The actual capture of the image doesn't require much if any change to what is in any smartphone today. What it will require is a fortification of the hardware end, like what Apple did for TouchID, and a fast algorithm.

Personally, I think that this as much as anything is why Samsung is pursuing iris scanner tech. It really doesn't require them to make any changes to implement it. Of course, there is a difference between implementing and implementing well.