Audi shows off 'Smart Display' Android-powered in-car tablet

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 157
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    bigphotos wrote: »
    We went to see the BMWs today - looked at a really nice 328iX that can stream my iPhone 5s wirelessly - can also use Siri .... 

I'm thinking of a Munich pickup and a 10 day European vacation - driving around and listening to the music on my iPhone ....

Goodbye Audi ----  

You going to use BMW ConnectedDrive? Great service with lots of back and forth communication between BMW and your car. Where you are, where you're heading, what vehicle features are in use, how you're driving, vehicle system reports, maintenance issues . . Good stuff and very useful to both you and BMW. They don't even need to connect to your Android or iDevice via their Google Play and App Store offering. BMW and Tesla are two of the most connected car companies in the world and most all other manufacturers will be following their lead and embedding their own connection modules and 3G/4G service. Give it another 5 years and no user smartphone will even be needed out on the road.
    http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/connected_drive_services/how_to_use/index.html#remote_services

Here's a really cool if still somewhat crude idea of how completely connected our autos will be in just a few years.The video is from just a few months ago.
    [VIDEO]

For those that think auto companies are in this just for driver convenience and to sell cars think again. Much of the profit in a vehicle transaction comes AFTER the actual sale. Connected cars open up a whole new world of revenue for the manufacturers and their partners. Here's a presentation from one of the organizations I subscibe to. This ain't about Android vs. iOS.
    http://us.telematicsupdate.com/fc_tele_evupdatelz/lz.aspx?p1=0516065S3653&CC=&p=1&cID=0&cValue=1
  • Reply 142 of 157
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by st88 View Post

Small? You're joking right?

• 1 series Coupe*

• 1 series Convertible*

• 1 series 3 door

• 1 series 5 door

• 2 series Coupe

• 3 series Sedan

• 3 series Touring

• 3 series Gran Turismo

• 3 series ActiveHybrid

• 4 series Coupe

• 4 series Convertible

• 4 series Gran Coupe

• 5 series Sedan

• 5 series Touring

• 5 series Gran Turismo

• 5 series ActiveHybrid

• 6 series Coupe

• 6 series Convertible

• 6 series Gran Coupe

• 7 series Sedan

• 7 series ActiveHybrid

• Z4 Roadster

• X1

• X3

• X5

• X6

• M3 Sedan

• M3 Convertible*

• M4 Coupe

• M5 Sedan

• M6 Coupe

• M6 Gran Coupe

• M6 Convertible

• X6 M

• i3

• i8

* = exiting the market

And there are others coming in the not so distant future:

• X4

• 2 series Gran Coupe

• 2 series Convertible

• 2 series Active Tourer

• M2

• M2 Gran Coupe

• M2 Convertible

• M4 Gran Coupe

• M4 Convertible

That's like saying the 200 different configurations of the new Mac Pro are actually 200 different models. They're not.

Take the 3 series which outsells the 1,5,6,7 by  a huge margin and is BMW's cash cow. 

There are 4 basic models in production right now (there is a model transition going on right now so I'll only deal with the current/soon to be previous line)

E90 4-dr sedan

E91 4-dr station wagon

E92 Coupe

E93 Convertible

Everything else is basically an option, X drive, Diesel, Navigation, Premium, Sports etc.

• Reply 143 of 157
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

Except that this is false:

Mac Mini 

iMac 21"

iMac 27"

Mac Pro 

iPad Mini 

iPad Air 

MBA 11"

MBA 13" 

MBP 13"

MBPr 13" 

MBPr 15" 

Not even counting the good/better/best within each model the Apple computer lineup has 5 different "series" and 11 discrete models.

Folks looking at a 3 series isn't in the same market as those looking at the bigger sedans any more than folks looking at the Mac Mini are really in the same market as the Mac Pro even through they are both desktops.  Much less for different categories (like SUV).

BMW's model lineup is not quite as razor focused as Apple's but it is easy to figure out which series you want.  Then the kind of car (coupe, sedan or convertible).  Done.

Razor sharp was Porsche: 911, Boxster, Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera done. 

Thank you. Exactly the analogy I was trying to present.

• Reply 144 of 157
    Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Thank you. Exactly the analogy I was trying to present.

So why is it the opposite of what you said?

• Reply 145 of 157
    Because its not.. Duh.
  • Reply 146 of 157

Because its not.. Duh.

Did you read the post:no:

My point is that the lineup is too large and that Apple would trim it down.

His point is that Apple’s lineup is as large as Audi’s, citing configurations as “different devices”.

Your point explicitly states the opposite of his point, stating that the configurations are NOT different devices (which is the right answer), and saying exactly what I said: that an Apple-esque lineup of Audi’s stuff would be greatly diminished.

• Reply 147 of 157
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Your point explicitly states the opposite of his point, stating that the configurations are NOT different devices (which is the right answer), and saying exactly what I said: that an Apple-esque lineup of Audi’s stuff would be greatly diminished.

In what way are these not different devices but different "configurations"?  Different configurations are like the GOOD, BETTER, BEST within a specific model.

• Reply 148 of 157
    Did you read the post? :no:

My point is that the lineup is too large and that Apple would trim it down.

His point is that Apple’s lineup is as large as Audi’s, citing configurations as “different devices”.

Did YOU read any of the posts? His point is that Apples lineup is as large as BMW's not Audis.
    His second point was that when you are purchasing from the Apple lineup, you are not looking at iMacs if you're interested in a Macbook, similarly someone looking at a 3-series is not going to be looking at 7 series models.
    Within the macbook series there are 5 models, within the 3 series there are 4. All other variations are simply configurations.

Got it now?
  • Reply 149 of 157
    st88st88 Posts: 124member
    Quote:

That's like saying the 200 different configurations of the new Mac Pro are actually 200 different models. They're not.

Take the 3 series which outsells the 1,5,6,7 by  a huge margin and is BMW's cash cow. 

There are 4 basic models in production right now (there is a model transition going on right now so I'll only deal with the current/soon to be previous line)

E90 4-dr sedan

E91 4-dr station wagon

E92 Coupe

E93 Convertible

Everything else is basically an option, X drive, Diesel, Navigation, Premium, Sports etc.

You have no clue what you're talking about.

The 3/4 series sales only accounted for ~33% of BMW North America's sales in 2013. Worldwide the 3/4 series account for even less, as North America is missing some vehicles and variations from BMW's line up. (example: 1 series 3 door/5 door, 5 series Touring, etc.).

Everything else is not an option.  Each vehicle on that list is a different from another, and that has nothing to do with the packaging or simply different engines (example of different engines/packaging: 228i Sport or 228i xDrive Luxury or M235i).

E9x isn't even in production (ie. it is not current)...  We're already onto F3x...

Stop wasting everyone's time with your false information and poor analogies.

• Reply 150 of 157
    Quote:

You have no clue what you're talking about.

The 3/4 series sales only accounted for ~33% of BMW North America's sales in 2013. Worldwide the 3/4 series account for even less, as North America is missing some vehicles and variations from BMW's line up. (example: 1 series 3 door/5 door, 5 series Touring, etc.).

Everything else is not an option.  Each vehicle on that list is a different from another, and that has nothing to do with the packaging or simply different engines (example of different engines/packaging: 228i Sport or 228i xDrive Luxury or M235i).

E9x isn't even in production (ie. it is not current)...  We're already onto F3x...

Stop wasting everyone's time with your false information and poor analogies.

You my friend are clueless. In 2012 the 3 series accounted for 26% of BMW's world sales. Greater than any of its other lines. You can still purchase E9x series models, the dealers are full of them. Yes as I mentioned this is a transition year with F3x and E9x both available, which is why I stated I was talking only about E9x series.

Get with the program man.

• Reply 151 of 157
    Quote:

You my friend are clueless. In 2012 the 3 series accounted for 26% of BMW's world sales. Greater than any of its other lines. You can still purchase E9x series models, the dealers are full of them. Yes as I mentioned this is a transition year with F3x and E9x both available, which is why I stated I was talking only about E9x series.

Get with the program man.

More of your nonsense.

In your previous post you highlighted the 3 series and stated:

"3 series which outsells the 1,5,6,7 by  a huge margin"

Following that statement you went on to tivialize the other vehicles in BMWs line-up by highlighting the 3 series which may be their largest seller, but only makes up for 25~30% of their sales.  Meanwhile the 5 series manages to sell between 80~85% of the 3 series sales on the global market, not exactly a trivial amount.

The "transitional" period you're talking about came and went for the sedan, estate, and coupe.

The E90 ended production in 2011 and was replaced by the F30.

The E91 ended production in 2012 and was replaced by the F31.

The E90/E91 made up for the vast majority of 3 series sales (75%~80%) and have been long out of dealers hands.

The E92 and E93 have ended production under 2013 vehicles, the 4 series (F32 and F33) are the 2014 models.  The E92/E93 do not appear on the international, US or German webpages for order (ie. production orders have ended).

• Reply 152 of 157
    Quote:

More of your nonsense.

In your previous post you highlighted the 3 series and stated:

"3 series which outsells the 1,5,6,7 by  a huge margin"

Following that statement you went on to tivialize the other vehicles in BMWs line-up by highlighting the 3 series which may be their largest seller, but only makes up for 25~30% of their sales.  Meanwhile the 5 series manages to sell between 80~85% of the 3 series sales on the global market, not exactly a trivial amount.

The "transitional" period you're talking about came and went for the sedan, estate, and coupe.

The E90 ended production in 2011 and was replaced by the F30.

The E91 ended production in 2012 and was replaced by the F31.

The E90/E91 made up for the vast majority of 3 series sales (75%~80%) and have been long out of dealers hands.

The E92 and E93 have ended production under 2013 vehicles, the 4 series (F32 and F33) are the 2014 models.  The E92/E93 do not appear on the international, US or German webpages for order (ie. production orders have ended).

All I can say is that I hope you are not an accountant. BMW sold 50,000 more 3 series than 5 series in 2012. At an average of around $40K revenue per vehicle that's $2B more from 3 series. Do you get it now.

Oh, and from Jan to September 2013, BMW sold 95,000 more 3 series than 5 series...

• Reply 153 of 157
    Quote:

All I can say is that I hope you are not an accountant. BMW sold 50,000 more 3 series than 5 series in 2012. At an average of around $40K revenue per vehicle that's $2B more from 3 series. Do you get it now.

Oh, and from Jan to September 2013, BMW sold 95,000 more 3 series than 5 series...

lol... Playing the revenue game?

3 series 2012 = ~370k sold * ~40k revenue per vehicle = $14.8B

5 series 2012 = ~320k sold * ~60k revenue per vehicle = $19.2B

That's $4.4B more from the 5 series. Do you get it now?

• Reply 154 of 157
    Quote:

lol... Playing the revenue game?

3 series 2012 = ~370k sold * ~40k revenue per vehicle = $14.8B

5 series 2012 = ~320k sold * ~60k revenue per vehicle = $19.2B

That's $4.4B more from the 5 series. Do you get it now?

tut tut tut. You really don't get it do you.

• Reply 155 of 157
    Next lease will not be an Audi.
  • Reply 156 of 157
    hill60 wrote: »
    It's not what Audi wants you to see, it's what Google wants you to see that's the problem.

F*ck having an ad supported car!

Google aren't a charity they'll want to monetise.
    ok, from now on...when u approach a stop sign...hit the stop peddle hard.. Look left, look right, look at the google ad... Hit the screen to stop the flashing loop, get back the gps map, look left, hit the gas pedal...easy as that