T-Mobile's 'Un-carrier 4.0' promo offers to pay early termination fees for switching

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,105member
    briancpa wrote: »
    I thought this was the case too but, according to T-Mobile's website, you have to trade in a phone. Kind of eliminates any value of the offer considering you have to take a loss on your phone... even if you plan on, for example, switching from a Verizon 5s to a T-Mobile 5s.

"We'll pay the other guy's $350 for your ETF as long as you give us a $650 phone, we'll give you $300, and then you have to pay $600 for the same phone you just traded in."

For many people who have an older phone they want to upgrade anyway, it's a good deal, and that is who they are marketing to.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

For many people who have an older phone they want to upgrade anyway, it's a good deal, and that is who they are marketing to.

That makes sense. I just figured that someone with an older phone is probably at or nearing the end of their contract anyways... and, as a result, their phone probably wouldn't fetch much of a trade-in value from T-Mobile.

I was ready to jump ship to T-Mobile when I saw this promotion until I saw that a trade-in was required. Guess I'll stick with Verizon.

• Reply 23 of 25

Finally I can get myself and my wife off of AT&T! iPhone 5S here I come!

• Reply 24 of 25
    Just dumped AT&T today for T-Mobile! I'll save about $100/mo on a 4 line family plan... and have more features and NO OVERAGES!
  • Reply 25 of 25
    briancpa wrote: »
    I thought this was the case too but, according to T-Mobile's website, you have to trade in a phone. Kind of eliminates any value of the offer considering you have to take a loss on your phone... even if you plan on, for example, switching from a Verizon 5s to a T-Mobile 5s.

"We'll pay the other guy's $350 for your ETF as long as you give us a $650 phone, we'll give you $300, and then you have to pay $600 for the same phone you just traded in."

You can pay $10 for a new SIM card and use your current iPhone on T-Mobile. That's what I'm doing. But you'll need to pay early termination fees in this case.