Apple to finally open new Brisbane flagship store on Jan. 17

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
After two years of unforeseen setbacks, Apple has finally set a date for the opening of its new flagship Apple Store in Brisbane, Australia, which is to start operations on Jan. 17 in the historic MacArthur Chambers building.

Brisbane Apple Store

According to Apple's website, the Brisbane location will feature the usual Apple Store amenities, including a Genius Bar, One-to-One training and various events and workshops.

The MacArthur Chambers outlet was first discovered in a development application in 2011, but it was thought that Apple abandoned the site after a major contractor attached to project filed for bankruptcy in 2012. Also of concern was reported issues with modernizing the aging interior of the historic structure.

In August of 2013, fresh architectural renderings and blueprints were filed with city officials, suggesting construction was back on track. The new plans called for the removal of multiple sidewalk structures directly in front of the store, such as a large bench and tree installations, to create symmetry with the store's front entrance.

The MacArthur Chambers building was erected in the 1930s and was used as a base of operations during Word War II for the allied forces' South West Pacific Area led by U.S. General Douglas MacArthur.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    "August of 2014"?
  • Reply 2 of 22
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    August 2014? Someone has been practice writing the new year a bit too much, or has a time machine.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
  • Reply 4 of 22
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member

How about an article on AI about how Apple has decided not to issue security updates for OS X versions prior to Mavericks?

• Reply 5 of 22
    This is going to be a really nice store with plenty of character. I'll be sure to send in photos.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Okay... Hands up who's actually used/seen a blue print recently?................

Just what I thought.... None of you. Why? Because blueprints are a 19th century analogue technology that the world began to phase out in the 1940's. Yes that's right 70 years ago.... No apple store has ever been constructed using blue prints...period.

Brisbane, also is a city where you can lodge applications electronically. This is the digital world... AI.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Okay... Hands up who's actually used/seen a blue print recently?................

Just what I thought.... None of you. Why? Because blueprints are a 19th century analogue technology that the world began to phase out in the 1940's. Yes that's right 70 years ago.... No apple store has ever been constructed using blue prints...period.

Brisbane, also is a city where you can lodge applications electronically. This is the digital world... AI.

They're still called plan drawings or blueprints.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    I'm sure Next Byte around the corner are thrilled about this opening. However, I always found that location difficult to deal with, and went to mac1 in New Farm, as they are way better.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

Wow. You sure told them….

Nice job!

• Reply 10 of 22
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

forget it

• Reply 11 of 22

Only in USA where things are still measured using the imperial system are building drawings called blueprints. It's a quaint archaic term. And to be pedantic a plan is a top view drawing... As opposed to elevations, sections, diagrams and details...but I digress.

It just sounds a bit silly to use archaic terms on a tech site.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Originally Posted by orange whip View Post

It just sounds a bit silly to use archaic terms on a tech site.

Blueprints.

Get over it. Everyone knows what you mean when you say ‘blueprints’. Everyone knows what that implies in the modern world.

• Reply 13 of 22

Rather wish they'd leave historic buildings alone but I digress.....

• Reply 14 of 22
    leighrleighr Posts: 253member
    Actually, blue prints were still widely used in the 80s and 90s. Large format photocopying and plotting/printing was just starting to be used, in the 90s, however I remember using a machine at Uni in the 90s to copy my plans, which used chemicals to reproduce the plan onto special paper. Depending on the paper and chemicals used it could print in a blue tone, hence the name.....
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Rather wish they'd leave historic buildings alone but I digress.....

They are. Apple doesn’t change the facade.

• Reply 16 of 22
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    There are still puzzling gaps where Apple already should have Apple Stores: Singapore and Tel Aviv are two of the most obvious.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Aussies are allegedly the wealthiest people in the world (Credit Suisse 2013) so a third store in the Big End of Brisbane should do well.

>The building%u2019s original bronze doors will also be restored and a new feature staircase to the mezzanine level will replace the escalators.
    According to the council application, the design aims to %u201Ccreate a high quality retail outlet which showcases the architectural qualities of the original Assurance Chamber and adds contemporary elements of comparable quality%u201D.
    Apple has a history of taking up space in historically significant buildings overseas, but the MacArthur Chambers store will be Australia%u2019s first character flagship store.
    The MacArthur Chambers store will be Brisbane's third Apple store, after the store at Westfield Chermside and a second at Carindale (smh.com.au)
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Try living in New Zealand, solidly under the thumb of Apple Australia. The largest dealership here, YOOBEE, didn't even manage an iPhone 5c Dock today. Pathetic, for a city bigger than Brisbane/Adelaide/Perth and the beach head for an entire nation of Apple users. Pathetic. Come on, get your act together, Apple.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

History quiz: Who famously said "I shall return!" and to what country was he referring?

• Reply 20 of 22
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

General Douglas McArthur referring to the Philippines.