13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    st88st88 Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

In other words you just don’t like change. This report proves what common sense has been saying for the past decade. The overwhelming majority of computer users want to send/receive email, shop at Amazon.com, consume audio/video content, store their pictures, and compose the occasional document (homework, club newsletter, etc.) and that’s it. The vast majority of Enterprise workers can do their jobs on tablets too, from email to writing reports. I worked for AT&T for 34 years before retiring, was issued numerous desktop machines, then laptops. I used them to read/respond to email, fill out my time sheet, read technical bulletins, chat with colleagues, all totally doable with a tablet. Tablets perform those tasks easily and relatively cheaply. But tech websites are frequented by so-called prosumers, power users, techie wannabes who constantly yammer on about “real” work, hard drives, DVD burners and the like. 

Get it into your heads. You are the extreme minority that mean next to nothing to current technology companies like Apple, Samsung, and others these days. You don’t need a PC to do “real” work most of the time. We have seen numerous examples of professionals editing video, creating graphic design, original art work, etc on tablets. Okay, so you need a powerful work station to do finite element analysis, engineering computations, high end rendering, etc. Well, you still have those machines available, hence the new Mac Pro, but the rest of us don’t need a traditional PC anymore. Tablets are the paradigm. Get used to it.

Actually I like change as long as it is for the better. Abandoning a desktop or decent laptop to do s spreadsheet on an iPad doesn't pass that test. I do write reports in my job, I wouldn't even want to try doing that on an iPad. Cutting and pasting from spreadsheets or copying sections from other reports, web pages etc demands a lot more real estate than an iPad can provide. I can't imagine anyone in my office being able to efficiently do their work on an iPad. There is a heck of a lot to most work besides filling out timesheets,reading reports, responding to emails and chatting with collegues. If that's all you did, if you worked for me you wouldn't have lasted a week let alone 34 years.

I do agree, a tablet like the current iPad cannot replace a desktop, but that's not to say that a tablet can't offer a greater amount of functionality when paired with a keyboard and a pair of monitors.

Example: Lenovo's ThinkPad 8

• Reply 42 of 44
    st88st88 Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Huh? It’s in the center, which is better than most PC laptops, which do put it off-center.

I think he was making reference to the HP laptop in the first post and not the ASUS imaged above his post.

• Reply 43 of 44
    emesemes Posts: 239member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Huh? It’s in the center, which is better than most PC laptops, which do put it off-center.

Actually for right handed people your wrist naturally centers itself, putting your hand slightly to the left

And I'm sorry, but until an iPad can play Assassin's Creed 4, I'm sticking with my PC

• Reply 44 of 44
    Have you met Excel users who create tables in Excel: i.e. no calcs just tables?