Apple debuts new iPad Air ad highlighting real users' stories

Comments

• Reply 21 of 146
    st88 wrote: »
    I hate to keep beating a dead horse, but the iPad's capabilities are extremely limited when compared to an OS X or x86 Windows device (such as the ASUS T100 featured in the "more serious" link).  BTW, despite the shortages in North America and other regions, the T100 shipped 500,000 worldwide in Q4 of 2013 and according to ASUS is set for another 2 million in 2014 when production demand can be met.

...But you ARE beating a dead horse. The uses show are actual uses, not contrived.

To a great extent the limitations of the iPad are mostly in your head and in like thinkers. What the ad shows is that clearly people eagerly use the iPad for things even Apple didn't expect. If you think, as you stated, "he iPad's capabilities are extremely limited," then the problem lies within your own mind and not that of the millions of iPad users who aren't as certain of limitations as you appear to be.
  • Reply 22 of 146
    st88st88 Posts: 124member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Please explain the extremely limited capabilities of iPad Air versus OS X or "x86 Windows." I find the products capabilities difficult to compare considering iPad Air is hardware while OS X and "x86 Windows" are operating systems.

"when compared to an OS X or x86 Windows device "

• Reply 23 of 146
    Do these real users provide real stories of Mobile Safari on iPad Air crashing multiple times an hour? Including (currently) twice for me while viewing and editing this page? This is a complete joke and Apple need to realise that this is a problem on the scale of MobileMe or even bigger. Apple should concentrate on stability but they just don't seem to care. I'm starting to think they have lost the plot. And I'm a huge fan... or at least I was.
  • Reply 24 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I don't think he was. You wrote "Marketing is Apple's most important weapon to success" which I took as that they would have a hard time being successful if they didn't have great marketing.

I see this differently: the products sell themselves. No need for marketing. Their products are that good.

Re-read his post.  

He states "To say marketing is the most important is to say the products are equivalent to the competition and need the marketing to succeed. "

That is not something I believe.

There have been plenty of products which are 'that good' in the past, but some have met their demise due to marketing.

Need an example? Take a look at the plasma TV market, Pioneer and more recently Panasonic.  The best products with little marketing managed to fail against heavily marketed LCD/LED displays from companies such as Samsung or Sony.

• Reply 25 of 146
    nikon133 wrote: »
    I never felt proud for owning something.

I felt proud for using something I own in good, creative way that others admired, but not for owning something that other people use in creative way.

Sure... go ahead and piss on the other guy's enthusiasm. The world needs less of your ilk.
  • Reply 26 of 146
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I hate to keep beating a dead horse, but the iPad's capabilities are extremely limited when compared to an OS X or x86 Windows device (such as the ASUS T100 featured in the "more serious" link).  BTW, despite the shortages in North America and other regions, the T100 shipped 500,000 worldwide in Q4 of 2013 and according to ASUS is set for another 2 million in 2014 when production demand can be met.

Cars are more limited compared to pick up trucks.
  • Reply 27 of 146
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Strongly disagree here. Marketing isn’t enough if your products suck. Apple’s most important weapon to success is the quality, usability, beauty, superiority of their products. To say marketing is the most important is to say the products are equivalent to the competition and need the marketing to succeed. It’s also another old troll meme, that Apple’s success is solely due to it’s marketing, that other products are better but the marketing dupes the consumer into buying Apple instead.  Apple is good at both solid products and inspired marketing.

But then I see you touting Windows products in most of your posts so...

A key element of marketing is the product concept which is based on creating value for customers.
  • Reply 28 of 146
    reinthal wrote: »
    Do these real users provide real stories of Mobile Safari on iPad Air crashing multiple times an hour? Including (currently) twice for me while viewing and editing this page? This is a complete joke and Apple need to realise that this is a problem on the scale of MobileMe or even bigger. Apple should concentrate on stability but they just don't seem to care. I'm starting to think they have lost the plot. And I'm a huge fan... or at least I was.

Apparently, tens of millions of users do not have significant issues. Apple Insider seems to have serious issues with their website. The website crashes for me on virtually every platform on occasion.
  • Reply 29 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

...But you ARE beating a dead horse. The uses show are actual uses, not contrived.

To a great extent the limitations of the iPad are mostly in your head and in like thinkers. What the ad shows is that clearly people eagerly use the iPad for things even Apple didn't expect. If you think, as you stated, "he iPad's capabilities are extremely limited," then the problem lies within your own mind and not that of the millions of iPad users who aren't as certain of limitations as you appear to be.

There are still plenty of things an iPad cannot do that for an OS X or Windows device can.  The software and hardware support or performance does not exist in the iPad's SoC or the current version of iOS.  The uses shown in the video does not prove that an iPad can match the capabilities of an OS X or Windows device.  

• Reply 30 of 146
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Cars are more limited compared to pick up trucks.

Useless analogy.  We're taking about computer hardware and their operating systems.

• Reply 31 of 146
    There are still plenty of things an iPad cannot do that for an OS X or Windows device can.  The software and hardware support or performance does not exist in the iPad's SoC or the current version of iOS.  The uses shown in the video does not prove that an iPad can match the capabilities of an OS X or Windows device.  

Please provide plenty of examples.
  • Reply 32 of 146
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Useless analogy.  We're taking about computer hardware and their operating systems.

What does that have to do with anything. Some people need to tow 5000 lbs or do heavy lifting so they'll buy a truck. Others just need to get from point A to point B so they'll just get a car.
  • Reply 33 of 146
    nikon133 wrote: »
    I never felt proud for owning something.

I felt proud for using something I own in good, creative way that others admired, but not for owning something that other people use in creative way.

Yeah, whatever dude.

I'm not going to list all the different ways I use my iPad in "creative ways" or for my business. It's not any of your business how I use it. Just take the statement for what it is bro and let it go.
  • Reply 34 of 146
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    I'm so pissed. I had submitted an idea for this "real life example" ad campaign. It's all about how I use my iPad to stalk women. Last time was when I totally picked up this girl on a ski lift and later showed her how I had made collages of her photos and created a virtual "wall" of her photos with little pins to hold them up. True story.
  • Reply 35 of 146
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    psych_guy wrote: »
    I saw this ad during the 49er/Panther game. It was breathtaking and awesome to watch.

Yeah. The 49ers really shut them down in the second half.
  • Reply 36 of 146

Having been a slave to the Microsoft ecosystem for 20 years, personally I'm glad to be free of it. That makes all the difference in my iPad, my iPhone, my MacBook Pro, and my iMac all of which I use in my personal creative life and for my business.
  • Reply 37 of 146
    [QUOTE]Yeah. The 49ers really shut them down in the second half. [/QUOTE]

Yeah that too!8-)

We had the double whammy of the Apple commercial and the game! Win-win for the fans both!
  • Reply 38 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

What does that have to do with anything. Some people need to tow 5000 lbs or do heavy lifting so they'll buy a truck. Others just need to get from point A to point B so they'll just get a car.

Did you even read the context of my original post?  This has nothing to do with someone's needs, but what a device can actually do.

• Reply 39 of 146
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

Having been a slave to the Microsoft ecosystem for 20 years, personally I'm glad to be free of it. That makes all the difference in my iPad, my iPhone, my MacBook Pro, and my iMac all of which I use in my personal creative life and for my business.

I'm glad to hear that things are working well for you.

• Reply 40 of 146
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I always find it amusing when people claim Apple success is due to marketing. I was watching NFL football this afternoon and Windows branding was EVERYWHERE. The pre-game commentators all had Surface tablets next to them. I think I saw Apple's iPad commercial once during the entire 49ers game. Samsung commercials ran multiple times. Microsoft Windows branding all over the Fox set and football field. And yet Apple's supposedly only popular because of marketing. :rolleyes: