Next-gen iPhone may boast 5" 'full HD' display, flexible AMOLED for 'iWatch'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Screen resolutions over 350ppi are utterly pointless. If 300dpi is high enough for professional print... Magazines, books, posters etc then it's high enough for a screen. Over that is a bonus but I think the human eye would be hard pushed to see individual pixels. The numbers game will quickly become pointless in this arena.
  • Reply 22 of 55
    sarges wrote: »
    DO WANT. I would LOVE a larger iPhone personally. Mobile = bigger is better.

Sick and tired of people only considering their needs and wants like if they were at the centre of the universe. They are quite happy to force others into their world. It is HIGH time Apple makes a 5" plus phone, it can be alongside standard 4" screen or even go back to 3.5" to appease the "smaller the better" brigade, I don't care as long as we are given the choice.

Shut up and go away.
  • Reply 23 of 55
    alienzed wrote: »
    Do not want. I would LOVE an miniPhone personally. Mobile = smaller is better

I completely agree.
  • Reply 24 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by racingbull View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

Do not want. I would LOVE an miniPhone personally. Mobile = smaller is better

I completely agree.

A new bigger iPhone does not mean they will faze out the 4" screen. Two distinct sizes is long overdue for a product that sells in the tens of millions. Your choice will depend on your use case. For people that use it mostly as a phone the 4" is clearly better while those that use it mostly as a pocketable tablet computer would prefer something bigger, maybe much bigger.

A smaller than 4" screen is doubtful to me though (unless a watch). What will of course happen is that the 4" iPhone will get smaller. In fact the iPhone 5/5S is both smaller (in volume) and lighter than the iPhone 4/4S which had a smaller screen.

• Reply 25 of 55
    mykemmykem Posts: 33member
    Doesn't the analyst analyze the reasoning behind the resolution jump from the non-retina 480*320 (pixels) to the retina 960*640 (and the additional 176px/another row of icon when the display size moved not only from 3.5 to 4 inches on the iPhone 5 but the screen ratio changes from 3:2 to 16:9). And while the iPad eschewed the screen ratio change (maintaining the same 4:3 ratio in its retina adoption and when the smaller Mini was introduced), it, too, went through the same 2 x scaling from 1024*768 to 2048*1536.

Perhaps future iOS will change Apple's current stance of retina scaling and/or resolution independence but for now I would recommend that these analysts read articles on why Apple doesn't use standard display resolution on its device. Articles like this one: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/10/evaluating-apples-slow-and-steady-approach-to-high-density-displays/
  • Reply 26 of 55
    i heard a rumour from a very reliable source that Apple are going to bring out an iPad thats see-through and call it the Apple-Insider.

Allegedly they have filed suit against the use of that name and are looking for $6 Billion in compensation.

Also, there is going to be a iWatch Pro that will have a screen diagonal of 5" and a resolution of 2500x320. The screen will stretch from your wrist to just above your elbow and will be made of Jelly at one end so it can bend.

There, is that enough shite to add to the end of that crap article?
  • Reply 27 of 55
    jusephejusephe Posts: 108member
    First I didn't expect apple to make a phone that is bigger than most people's... Personally I don't care very much for that but a combination of biger screen, thin bezel an overall thinner phone could make a surprisingly big screened one handed phone.

Well I don't think they will just said "let's make a biger phone !"
    I think they said "let's make a perfect balance in display size and portability" Kind of like an iPad mini, but in a phone.
  • Reply 28 of 55
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member

I really hope Apple minimizes the number of iPhone sizes. I got a 5c and I've been very disappointed in the lack cases and peripherals available for it. There's lots of 5/5s things around, but very few for the 5c.

- Jasen.

• Reply 29 of 55
    Originally Posted by LilSmirk View Post

Finally I'll have much, much more estate on my iPhone rather than just 4". It was about time that Apple kept up with the times

Stop the FUD; I want to get off.

Originally Posted by sarges View Post

people wanting to keep the status quo, limiting choice, and forcing others in their comfort zone

Enough of this nonsense.

• Reply 30 of 55

I'm fairly certain analysts have already said that Apple is too late to the party with large screen displays for the iPhone.  Samsung has already done every size display possible, so Apple won't be able to bring anything new to the table.  In other words, the iPhone is behind the curve of innovation and has become merely a follower of Samsung, the real innovator.

/s

• Reply 31 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Shut up and go away.

If this is all you have to say on the subject, you are the one who should be silenced and kicked. Actually, as a punishment, you should be made to follow Windows centric sites only. Get lost

• Reply 32 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Enough of this nonsense.

which nonsense? there are so many to choose from your posts

• Reply 33 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

I really hope Apple minimizes the number of iPhone sizes. I got a 5c and I've been very disappointed in the lack cases and peripherals available for it. There's lots of 5/5s things around, but very few for the 5c.

- Jasen.

From all the articles I've seen on the internet, you have a dead-end model, the "failure" model which Apple will soon be discontinuing.  It has been discovered that no one likes colorful, plastic iPhones lacking Touch Sensor ID and a 64-bit processor.  I'm sorry, but you unfortunately picked the wrong choice of iPhone.

/s

I think it's too early to come to any conclusion how long the 5c will be around or what accessories will eventually be made for it.  If Apple drops the price of the 5c it might become popular, especially in China or India, but only time will tell.

• Reply 34 of 55

If this is all you have to say on the subject, you are the one who should be silenced and kicked. Actually, as a punishment, you should be made to follow Windows centric sites only. Get lost

which nonsense? there are so many to choose from your posts

Exactly; you don’t have any actual position whatsoever. You have ad homs and lies.

• Reply 35 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Exactly; you don’t have any actual position whatsoever. You have ad homs and lies.

you should know by now that drinking and posting don't mix, read my previous post and you'll see where I stand. Besides you're still making no sense, bet you don't even recognise your own posts, not that they are worth reading anyway

• Reply 36 of 55
    gtbuzzgtbuzz Posts: 129member
    The big difference is Apple's Software is cohesive; Samsung (Android, et. al) is not cohesive. I like for my 6 Apple Products to work well everywhere I go. That my case for Apple. Do not think for a minute Apple is resting on their laurels or cannot produce super high tech products. They can and will. The challenge is for a manufacturer to be able to meet Apple's roadmap. It is difficult for manufacturers to meet the manufacturing challenge in the needed quantities.

To quote Tim Cook & others: Apple doesn't build junk.

There are platform differences and there always will be.
    I prefer the Apple Platform, but can use what ever I have.
  • Reply 37 of 55
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    I would be disappointed if Tim Cook decided that the major form factor change for the iPhone 6 should be just a bigger screen. I know Jony was busy designing iOS 7, Mac Pros and Leicas, but lord help us if no new thinking was done for iPhone hardware.
  • Reply 38 of 55
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:

you should know by now that drinking and posting don't mix, read my previous post and you'll see where I stand. Besides you're still making no sense, bet you don't even recognise your own posts, not that they are worth reading anyway

As a person that owns a current generation iPhone 5s as opposed to a 1st generation iPhone that is little more than a really old iPod stuck on iOS 3 I agree that a larger iPhones is needed and will be extremely popular. People that cannot afford a 5s or even 5c are not the target market for the iPhone in any case and they won't be the market for a larger iPhone 6.  Apple are not stupid and realize people like me decide to buy an iPhone because we love the hardware, iOS, the app ecosystem and other factors but are not crazy about a 4" display and want something bigger. Eventually if there is no larger iPhone many of us will switch to a company that offers a larger display that we crave.  There is no way of knowing just how many will prefer a larger iPhone over a 4" until it is released but my gut tells me it will sell better than the 4" unless Apple decided to price it much higher which I think would be a mistake. Hopefully it will only be $100 more but I wish they would maintain the same price. A larger iPhone would also give many Android users the one thing they have cited as the main reason not to buy an iPhone which is a larger display. This will be a win-win for Apple and the customers to finally offer a little choice beyond storage size or color. 

• Reply 39 of 55
    Fake research. More garbage to spin around and get attention. Apple is not doing a phone past 5" and I would even consider a 5" iphone to be nearly impossible for them do since Jony Ivy is heavily against formfactors or sizes that gets too far away from being useful and purposeful.

A 5" iphone would easily be too big for the typical iphone buyer to manage even with a very thin bezel. The largest I think they would try for is a 4.3 - 4.7" sweet spot.

I actually thought the Samsung Galaxy S2 was the perfect size.
  • Reply 40 of 55
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Vision33r View Post

Fake research. More garbage to spin around and get attention. Apple is not doing a phone past 5" and I would even consider a 5" iphone to be nearly impossible for them do since Jony Ivy is heavily against formfactors or sizes that gets too far away from being useful and purposeful.

A 5" iphone would easily be too big for the typical iphone buyer to manage even with a very thin bezel. The largest I think they would try for is a 4.3 - 4.7" sweet spot.

I actually thought the Samsung Galaxy S2 was the perfect size.

Although I agree with you that it is very unlikely that Apple would release an iPhone over 5" I disagree that a larger phone "gets too far away from being useful and purposeful" People talk about the importance of one handed operation but how many iPhone owners actually use two hands as much if not more as one handed operation when you are doing tasks that requires more than a quick glance. Years ago during  the number of portrait only mode apps outnumbered ones capable of doing both or landscape only but that has now shifted and you can use far more apps in landscape mode now as well. Many games are landscape only, texting for me at least is far faster with two hands or should I say 2 thumbs, looking at websites is easier to read in landscape, pretty much anything I do on my iPhone that takes me longer than 5 seconds to look at the screen I tend to switch to landscape mode. I suspect I am far from alone and for anyone already viewing landscape mode a great deal they will definitely appreciate a larger display.