PassMarket beats Apple to the punch with iBeacon-based mobile payments

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

For about a year, I've been able to walk into an Apple Store, scan an item with my phone, and walk out the door. No credit card swipe, no checkout, no line. It's called EasyPay.

Am I missing something here?

If you don't fill out the steps in the app exactly correct, you wind up getting arrest for shoplifting...

• Reply 22 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

For about a year, I've been able to walk into an Apple Store, scan an item with my phone, and walk out the door. No credit card swipe, no checkout, no line. It's called EasyPay.

EasyPay is rather fiddly. You have to unlock your phone, open up the app, connect to wifi, find the barcode, scan your thing, get your card out and enter your credit card security code. If there's no line at the register station, it's often easier to deal with it there, especially if you want a bag or printed receipt. If it was something more frequent like your morning coffee, it would be unacceptably slow.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    konqerror wrote: »
    gustav wrote: »

[CONTENTEMBED=/t/161559/passmarket-beats-apple-to-the-punch-with-ibeacon-based-mobile-payments#post_2457935 layout=inline]EasyPay is rather fiddly. You have to unlock your phone, open up the app, connect to wifi, find the barcode, scan your thing, get your card out and enter your credit card security code. If there's no line at the register station, it's often easier to deal with it there, especially if you want a bag or printed receipt. If it was something more frequent like your morning coffee, it would be unacceptably slow.[/CONTENTEMBED]

I just pay cash. Everywhere. No waiting on verification, no PIN code, no nothing. Just count it. Easy.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I just pay cash. Everywhere. No waiting on verification, no PIN code, no nothing. Just count it. Easy.

Sorry, where do you get your cash from? I don't want to make a trip to the bank or ATM every time I want to buy something. And ATMs charge fees if you can't find one from your own bank. Not so easy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

EasyPay is rather fiddly. You have to unlock your phone, open up the app, connect to wifi, find the barcode, scan your thing, get your card out and enter your credit card security code. If there's no line at the register station, it's often easier to deal with it there, especially if you want a bag or printed receipt. If it was something more frequent like your morning coffee, it would be unacceptably slow.

No, it really isn't fiddly. Unlocking your phone is trivial, you do it several times per day. And if you have a 5s with TouchID enabled, it's even easier. And connecting to WiFi is automatic after the first time. And you don't need to get your credit card out to enter your security code, because it's only three digits and you can remember it.

I can do all that before one person in line at a checkout gets their items.

Also, don't think there won't be a kind of authorization or user interaction with PassMarket. What happens if the customer directly beside you also has PassMarket - how does it know who is buying the item?

But all of this is moot point. The headline is "PassMarket beats Apple to the punch." No, they didn't. Apple had a mobile payment system that works well in place for a year. And they're not even trying to sell it to other stores, so PassMarket didn't beat them there either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatisgoingon View Post

If you don't fill out the steps in the app exactly correct, you wind up getting arrest for shoplifting...

Seriously? It would occur to you to walk out of the store before scanning the item?

• Reply 25 of 26
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    philboogie wrote: »

Sorry, where do you get your cash from? I don't want to make a trip to the bank or ATM every time I want to buy something. And ATMs charge fees if you can't find one from your own bank. Not so easy.

Ah, ok. Here in NL no charge, so no problem. So yes, YMMV.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    But all of this is moot point. The headline is "PassMarket beats Apple to the punch." No, they didn't.

That's only part of the headline.
    PassMarket beats Apple to the punch with iBeacon-based mobile payments

If EasyPay is using iBeacons then you'd be correct. They aren't, which means you're not correct either. Whether EasyPay is, well, easy pay is beside the point.