editing just the album title in itunes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited June 2015
Hello

Anyone know how i can change just the album title in itunes i can?t seem to find it anywhere

can change everything else but not the album name

Thanks for the help

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    I don't undertand what you mean Geo1. All I have to do is click in the Album column and start typing the name of the album and it is changed. Am I misunderstanding your question?

Cheers
  • Reply 2 of 16
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tilt

All I have to do is click in the Album column and start typing the name of the album and it is changed.

Although that will probably work for geo1, it's not the best way to change an album name because if you do so you will have to change the album name of each track in succession.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by geo1

Anyone know how i can change just the album title in itunes i can’t seem to find it anywhere

Try the following. Select all of the tracks that you wish to modify (by holding Ctrl and clicking on each of the tracks until they are all highlighted in blue, or by using the Shift and arrow keys if the tracks that you want are in succession). Once you have selected the tracks that you wish to modify, choose File -> Get Info (or press Ctrl-I in Windows -- Command-I in OSX). You will then receive an information box where you can change the Artist, Album, etc for the multiple tracks. If you only want to change the information on one track, then just select one track and press Crtl-I (i.e. "Get Info").

Note that Apple's "Get Info" command is essentially the same as Windows' "Properties" command. If you are using OSX, you can click on just about anything and hit Command-I to "get info" on that program, file, folder, etc.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    geo1geo1 Posts: 3member
    Thank you for the reply guys

I believe the software has a limitation or needs a fix unless i am doing something wrong because i don’t believe the album name can be changed in this way

I imported an album CD and the name of the album appears in lower case letters and therefore i would like to change this to upper case but this does not seem possible

People may want to change the album names for what ever reason one being if you have several albums called greatest hits and you look under albums in the Ipod you will see they are all listed as greatest hits so in fact you have no idea who that greatest hits album belongs to without going into the songs and looking

Please view the picture and you will see what i mean i want to change the left hand side album name under the picture to upper case or anything i wish but i don’t think it can be done

As you can see in the right handside column the first letter is a cap for each track under album but this does not reflect on the left hand side under the picture

Thanks

• Reply 4 of 16
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Try selecting all of the tracks simultaneously and bring up a "Get Info" dialog for multiple tracks as has been described by other posters.

As the album title you see for each track is already correct, just click the check box next to the album title field to try to force an update.

If this doesn't work -- if for some reason, iTunes is doing a case-insensitive comparison and making up it's mind that nothing has changed and nothing needs updating -- then try this two-step hack: change the album title of all of the tracks to something like "The Same SideX" (yes, with an extra stupid 'X' that you don't really want). Apply that change, then change the album title once more, taking the unwanted 'X' away.

If even that doesn't fix this for you, I have no idea what's up.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    geo1geo1 Posts: 3member
    Thank you very much to all for your help

shetline

Yes that worked great for some reason it was not updateing it self tried your fix and it worked

thank you
  • Reply 6 of 16
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geo1 View Post

Yes that worked great for some reason it was not updateing it self tried your fix and it worked

You have to think like a software engineering sometimes to guess which stupid "jiggle the handle" solutions might fix certain problems. I take it that is was the two-step solution with the added 'X' that you needed?
  • Reply 7 of 16

thank you , you saved my fingers a lot of time.

• Reply 8 of 16
    pws1pws1 Posts: 1member

Thank you Denton (and others).  This has been a persistent annoyance to me and it's nice to have a quick fix.  I used to do it one item at a time by slowly double-clicking the Album field.  Itunes produces some pretty strange playlists my merging everything from albums called "Greatest Hits" together.

• Reply 9 of 16
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Why was this an issue for anyone at any time? I don't recall a version of iTunes that didn't let you click on a name of something to rename it…

• Reply 10 of 16

Thank you Denton, Thank you soooo much!

This worked. It was awesome!

Try the following. Select all of the tracks that you wish to modify (by holding Ctrl and clicking on each of the tracks until they are all highlighted in blue, or by using the Shift and arrow keys if the tracks that you want are in succession). Once you have selected the tracks that you wish to modify, choose File -> Get Info (or press Ctrl-I in Windows -- Command-I in OSX). You will then receive an information box where you can change the Artist, Album, etc for the multiple tracks. If you only want to change the information on one track, then just select one track and press Crtl-I (i.e. "Get Info").

Note that Apple's "Get Info" command is essentially the same as Windows' "Properties" command. If you are using OSX, you can click on just about anything and hit Command-I to "get info" on that program, file, folder, etc.

• Reply 11 of 16

Thank you! shift/arrow-file etc was perfect for me. many blessings to you

• Reply 12 of 16

Sorry, didn't work for me.

I have a reissue CD with a different title and the tracks are in a different order.

Maybe I am weird but I am so listening to the original (anticipating the next song) that it is disconcerting to listen in the new "incorrect order" . I am able to rename each individual song and order them the same as the original order CD but the "new" title remains the same.

• Reply 13 of 16
    joeml wrote: »
    Sorry, didn't work for me.
    I have a reissue CD with a different title and the tracks are in a different order.
    Maybe I am weird but I am so listening to the original (anticipating the next song) that it is disconcerting to listen in the new "incorrect order" . I am able to rename each individual song and order them the same as the original order CD but the "new" title remains the same.

You may have to locate the music file through the Finder, then make sure permissions are changed to Everyone.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    As soon as you finish downloading, click on the title box. The name will turn blue & you remove it with the back button. Then type in the name you want. Hope this helps. I use it all the time.;)
  • Reply 15 of 16

irst of all, do not connect the iPod to iTunes at this time. You're going to make some changes in your iTunes Library. Once that's done, then connect the iPod.

In your iTunes Library, select the album (or, to be more precise, all the songs on the album) and on your keyboard, use the CTRL+I ("eye") keys to open the Multiple Item Information. You will see this image shown below (after clicking on "yes"):

As you can see, the artist name is already highlighted. Simply overtype this with the correct artist. The field below that, Album Artist may have "Various Artists" in it. Delete "Various Artists" for a single artist abum, or type in the name of the main artist if some tracks have guest artists listed. Before you click the OK button, have a quick check on the Options tab (just above the Artist field):

make sure the Part of a compilation box states "No". Now you can click OK.

Hopefully, you use Sync to manage your iPod. If so, all you need to do now is connect the iPod to your computer, iTunes should see it and perform the Sync. The revised album information will now be on the iPod too.

If you do not use Sync, but instead you use Manually Manage, you will need to remove the songs from the iPod, then add back the new, revised, songs. Now would be the time to consider using Sync to manage your iPod, because if your iPod ever needs a Restore, or when you replace the iPod with a newer one, Sync will make it much easier to put your music back onto the old, or new iPod. (A Restore will remove everything from an iPod, and sometimes that has to be done.)

Message was edited, for clarity, by: the fiend

• Reply 16 of 16
    dot86dot86 Posts: 1member

I found that to be a condescending reply... I think he was asking for step by step instructions.  I don't see "an album column" when I open ITunes so I have no idea what you're talking about.  Your instructions were not good at all...