Google Play Movies & TV now available for iOS

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Google on Wednesday released an iOS version of the company's Google Play Movies & TV, granting users playback and streaming access to content purchased online or on an Android device.

Google Play Movie TV

Google Play Movies & TV for iOS offers a way for Google Play customers to view their content on Apple devices, including the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. As an added bonus, Chromecast owners can stream content to their televisions directly from an iOS device.

While the overall app design and user interface is much like the Android Google Play Store app, functionality of the iOS title is limited to content consumption. Users can sign in and browse through their collection of videos, but Google has opted not to activate purchases, possibly because Apple would get a percentage of each sale.

Instead, users must visit the Google Play website to buy movies and TV shows, which are then made available on the iOS app for streaming over Wi-Fi. Currently, the app does not allow offline viewing.

Google Play Movies & TV for iOS is a free 4.9MB download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member

Google you can keep it. No one wants you on iOS...hmm well maybe just Youtube...hmmm well maybe not....those annoying ads. I wish there was a decent alternative to Youtube.

• Reply 2 of 48
    Are they serious, who would buy google version of stuff over iTunes since IOS is made for iTunes?
  • Reply 3 of 48
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Users can sign in and browse through their collection of videos, but Google has opted not to activate purchases, possibly because Apple would get a percentage of each sale.

Instead, users must visit the Google Play website to buy movies and TV shows, which are then made available on the iOS app for streaming over Wi-Fi. Currently, the app does not allow offline viewing.

Well, that's one way of circumventing the 30% cut.
  • Reply 4 of 48

Clunky beyond belief. Androiders can have it. Non-starter for us iOSers.

• Reply 5 of 48
    Clunky beyond belief. Androiders can have it. Non-starter for us iOSers.

Is it? I don't have any apps from Google installed on iOS. But even if I did, couldn't compare the quality as I don't have an Android lying around. I do have Andrea lying around, but she's asleep.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    I'm sure some iOS peeps will use it but it seems it would make the transition to iOS easier for anyone who has bought content
  • Reply 7 of 48
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Is it? I don't have any apps from Google installed on iOS. But even if I did, couldn't compare the quality as I don't have an Android lying around. I do have Andrea lying around, but she's asleep.

Meanwhile I have an Applea and she's always around doing work and stuff. :lol:
  • Reply 8 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

Google you can shove it. No one wants you on iOS...hmm well maybe just Youtube...hmmm well maybe not....those annoying ads. I wish there was a decent alternative to Youtube.

No offence ... but you had a typo ;)

• Reply 9 of 48
    Curious. Why would Apple even let these Apps hit the App Store?

You can't buy Kroger gift cards at walmart and vice versa.

Why even give the enemy a place on your shelf when he wants to beat you? Makes no sense.
  • Reply 10 of 48
    disturbia wrote: »
    No offence ... but you had a typo ;)

'Shoving it' is what they're trying to do, no? Onto iOS users that is.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

Google you can keep it. No one wants you on iOS...hmm well maybe just Youtube...hmmm well maybe not....those annoying ads. I wish there was a decent alternative to Youtube.

Sadly, our world has been divided between 2 groups ... The Idiots and Everyone Else.

The 1st group know nothing but google it or grab a bag of pop corn, browse youtube and post shit ...

FWIW, I support developers who show off their Apps on Vimeo instead of youtube!

FYI .... http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-video-sites-alternatives-to-youtube/

And .... these guys are seriously after youtube! http://www.dailymotion.com

• Reply 12 of 48
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Are they serious, who would buy google version of stuff over iTunes since IOS is made for iTunes?

Mixed platform homes, perhaps. This might ease the pain of moving to iOS.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    disturbia wrote: »
    Sadly, our world has been divided between 2 groups ... The Idiots and Everyone Else.

The 1st group know nothing but google it or grab a bag of pop corn, browse youtube and post shit ...

FWIW, I support developers who show off their Apps on Vimeo instead of youtube!

FYI .... http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-video-sites-alternatives-to-youtube/

And .... these guys are seriously after youtube! http://www.dailymotion.com

Even sadder yet is that a great many of those 'idiots' are iOS users, which Apple is partially to blame by pre-installing the youtube app for all those years.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    philboogie wrote: »

I am quite certain that Andrea's quality in any metric measured far surpasses Android's. :D
  • Reply 15 of 48
    I am quite certain that Andrea's quality in any metric measured far surpasses Android's. :D

ROTF! Nailed it!
  • Reply 16 of 48
    christophb wrote: »
    Mixed platform homes, perhaps. This might ease the pain of moving to iOS.

Or if a movie or TV show is on sale on one and not the other. One might not welcome the choice but it's always good that there is one.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    I just downloaded it. The splash screen says "Welcome, second class citizen. Please sign in to your Google account now, scum." Does anyone else get that?
  • Reply 18 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Even sadder yet is that a great many of those 'idiots' are iOS users, which Apple is partially to blame by pre-installing the youtube app for all those years.

Unfortunately .... it's true!

• Reply 19 of 48
    robertsm wrote: »

Why even give the enemy a place on your shelf when he wants to beat you? Makes no sense.

They used to strike down apps for "duplicating system functionality" but they have opened things up more in recent years.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]
    robertsm wrote: »

Because Apple is an hardware company and they are very happy that people use Google stuff on Apple devices ;)