Apple's iPhone now represents 42% of smartphones owned in the US - NPD

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The launch of the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c helped propel Apple to a market leading 42 percent of smartphones owned in the U.S. in the fourth quarter of 2013, leading Samsung's 26 percent share, according to the latest data from the NPD Group.

NPD

Apple's share of the U.S. market was up from 35 percent in the fourth quarter of 2012, the NPD data released on Thursday reveals. Rival Samsung was up as well, but not by as much, growing from 22 percent of U.S. smartphones a year prior.

The figures show that Apple's lead in its home market is widening, and that it and Samsung are taking an increasingly larger share of the U.S. market as rivals slip. Together, Samsung and Apple command 68 percent of smartphones owned in the U.S.Together, Apple and Samsung represent 68 percent of smartphones in the U.S., while 60 percent of mobile subscribers now have a smartphone.

As Apple and Samsung grew, significant losses were seen by competing smartphone makers Motorola, HTC and BLackBerry. The only other company among the top six to see any share gains was LG, which grew slightly but still controls less than 10 percent of the market.

NPD also found that smartphone penetration continues to grow in America, reaching six in ten cell phone users in the fourth quarter of 2013. That was up from 52 percent of the mobile market in the fourth quarter of 2012.

Unsurprisingly, mobile data use is also on the rise, with smartphone owners polled using an average of 6.6 gigabytes per month as of the end of 2013 --?up from 5.5 gigabytes a year prior. NPD cited streaming music services as a "key driver" in data use, with Pandora, iHeart Radio and Spotify taking the top three spots.

NPD's list of the top domestic music streaming services made no mention of Apple's iTunes Radio, which launched last September and is built in to the company's iOS 7 mobile operating system.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 75
    Whatever the future may hold, I can't imagine life without some sort of personal device, always with me. Be that a smartphone, I think we should be very grateful for Apple to have such eye for detail, class, taste and refinement. Steve, if this was your doing, thank you. I certainly do not want to think about what the future would be with a smartphone from any other company than the one you created. Yes, thank you.
  • Reply 2 of 75
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    I forget. . .
    Is NPD on the "don't trust 'em" list or "reliable reporting source" list? ;)
  • Reply 3 of 75
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I forget. . .

I don't think any numbers are to be considered trust worthy unless they are in an SEC filing. That includes Schmidt tweeting how many trillion Android actions per (tP) Planck.
  • Reply 4 of 75
    I forget. . .

Don't think it matters; just look around you. There's your market share. Where I live and walk, predominately iPhone.
  • Reply 5 of 75
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I forget. . .

Is NPD on the "don't trust 'em" list or "reliable reporting source" list? image

It depends on what the individual report from them appears to favor.  This report, I believe, would be filed under 'reliable'

• Reply 6 of 75
    Quote:

Unsurprisingly, mobile data use is also on the rise, with smartphone owners polled using an average of 6.6 gigabytes per month as of the end of 2013 — up from 5.5 gigabytes a year prior.

That sounds like a lot of data.  Especially with ATT and VZW offering 4 cheaper plans before you get to the $120/mo. plan that offers up to 6GB data.  And now NPD says mean usage is OVER 6GB???  Something is fishy... what is the usage of most American smartphone consumers?  Perhaps a few high-level users in NPD's sample set are skewing their statistics.  I seriously doubt the two biggest carriers would offer so many low price points if those plans were irrelevant to the bulk of consumers. 

Or, perhaps the "data" includes WiFi data usage by these smartphones?  I really don't think that should count as "mobile data" though.

Yes, I think NPD is in error here.

• Reply 7 of 75
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    That's a notable increase, if accurate.
  • Reply 8 of 75
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Sooner or later, the cream rises.
  • Reply 9 of 75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Don't think it matters; just look around you. There's your market share. Where I live and walk, predominately iPhone.

Agree.  I am from small town USA but was recently in Chicago, IL and NYC...all I saw was iPhone...

• Reply 10 of 75
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    The GB obviously includes WiFi or something is screwy. (And if actual usage matters, rather than the carriers, then looking at ALL mobile device data makes sense--even if you're at a hotspot.)

I have the pro-Google headline all worked out for the media to use:

"Dark Clouds Over Cupertino: Twice as Many Android Handset Makers as iPhone Makers Gain Users."
  • Reply 11 of 75
    philboogie wrote: »

Where I live it seems predominantly Android.

By the way there's a pretty cool interactive map showing where Android, iOS, Blackberry and "other" mobile devices are in use based on Twitter logs. Be sure to turn off one tab before activating another or you don't see much change. Too, zooming in on a city like Atlanta or Chicago shows iOS use most pronounced in the city cores while Android seems in higher use in the suburbs and other surrounding areas.
    https://www.mapbox.com/labs/twitter-gnip/brands/#
  • Reply 12 of 75

Where I live it seems predominantly Android.

By the way there's a pretty cool interactive map showing where Android, iOS, Blackberry and "other" mobile devices are in use based on Twitter logs. Be sure to turn off one tab before activating another or you don't see much change. Too, zooming in on a city like Atlanta or Chicago shows iOS use most pronounced in the city cores while Android seems in higher use in the suburbs and other surrounding areas.
    https://www.mapbox.com/labs/twitter-gnip/brands/#

Thanks for that link! Some can use it to avoid sloppy areas, afraid of getting mugged¡
  • Reply 13 of 75
    At lunch right now. Bartender says he prefers Android over iPhone. Instead of ignoring him, I challenge him to tell me why. Well he can download whatever he wants. When I realized he primarily downloaded FREE apps, I had a great laugh. He confirmed the free apps. I am tempted to loan him my old 4S just to show him there is more to it. On his own he praised the iPhone camera being superior than Android cameras. This is great.
  • Reply 14 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I forget. . .

Is NPD on the "don't trust 'em" list or "reliable reporting source" list? image

They ALL are .....

With that said:

IDC’s last market share study shows that 81% of devices are now running Android. That's compared to 12.9% running iOS. If you look at installed base rather than last quarter’s shipments, you’d see a smaller difference. But Android is still the obvious global leader.

The people who go to resorts in the Caribbean sea are typically from Canada, the US, the UK, and Western Europe. Because these vacations are not cheap, they also tend to be affluent. Keeping that in mind, here's what I noticed in terms of device usage trends.

Apple’s iPhone was significantly more popular than any other smartphone platform. I carried my Samsung Galaxy S4 with me, but most of the other guests had iPhones. I didn’t do a scientific poll or anything, but I’d say it was 80% iPhone, with the rest being mostly Android along with a very small number of BlackBerry. It was interesting for me to see this, because it really does suggest that iPhone much stronger market share among the wealthy compared to what the global figures suggest.

http://www.imore.com/forget-market-share-heres-glimpse-apples-poolside-share

So ... Android and or whatever it runs on truly sincerely unapologetically look, feel and smell like shit and they're everywhere :no: ... well, almost ... if you know what I mean!

And, then ... there are iDiamonds  8-) 

• Reply 15 of 75
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Is this usage or shipments?
  • Reply 16 of 75

Billions and Billions and Billions and Billions of activations.....wait what?

-Eric Schmidt -

• Reply 17 of 75
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Average of 6.6 gb pr month?
  • Reply 20 of 75
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Can you spot the flaw in that study?

It's from NPD? :D

Completely kidding. Carry on. . .