Apple's iPhone now represents 42% of smartphones owned in the US - NPD

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Whatever the future may hold, I can't imagine life without some sort of personal device, always with me.

I can. I like to spend a lot of time outdoors and, while a personal device is nice, I find it distracting. I should be outside looking at nature, listening to nature, enjoying nature, and not focused on how can I get a photo or video of 'this' to share on the internet.

I made a similar comment a panorama photographer Facebook group. That is, I thought making panoramas was more rewarding when it was hard. You had a sense of achievement. Now it is just click, click, click, stitch, and post (for the large 360 degree panoramas you see). When it becomes easy, it becomes mundane or so it seems to me. When it was difficult, one chose the scenes that were interesting. Now that it is easy, mundane scenes flood the internet and finding something interesting is time consuming and not as rewarding.

So the bottom line for me is put that personal device down and smell the roses.

• Reply 22 of 75
    daven wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    Whatever the future may hold, I can't imagine life without some sort of personal device, always with me.

I can. I like to spend a lot of time outdoors and, while a personal device is nice, I find it distracting. I should be outside looking at nature, listening to nature, enjoying nature, and not focused on how can I get a photo or video of 'this' to share on the internet.

I made a similar comment a panorama photographer Facebook group. That is, I thought making panoramas was more rewarding when it was hard. You had a sense of achievement. Now it is just click, click, click, stitch, and post (for the large 360 degree panoramas you see). When it becomes easy, it becomes mundane or so it seems to me. When it was difficult, one chose the scenes that were interesting. Now that it is easy, mundane scenes flood the internet and finding something interesting is time consuming and not as rewarding.

So the bottom line for me is put that personal device down and smell the roses.

I get what you're saying. And there is indeed 'nothing better' than to enjoy life, free and disconnected while outdoors. I'm a cyclist, and while enjoying nature for the entire day on my bike I love that I have my music with me, listening when I want. Taking a photo when I see 'opportunity'.

I spite of that, I still get your point.
  • Reply 23 of 75
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    It's from NPD? :D

Completely kidding. Carry on. . .

That's certainly a clear sign. Their study doesn't take into account different types of users for various "smartphones." In fact, it makes no distinction between a lower-end smartphone (aka: The *NEW* feature phone) which tend to be smaller than 4.5" and higher-end smartphones which tend to be 4.5" or higher. This means the iPhone's usage is potentially getting aggregated with many phones that it really shouldn't be compared with. This isn't an iPhone v Android bias, as I don't think the S3/S4, HTC One/Max, etc. should be compared to these 21st-century feature phones, either.

I would wager they have iPhone v Android data so why not also separate that out in this study, as well as do a sub-4.5" Android data usage v 4.5" and up Android data usage comparison.

We don't even know if they are counting phablets or even tablets in this comparison since those still tend to use "phone" apps.

I can't believe these companies are staffed by dozens or hundreds of people that get paid well for this sort of crap work.
  • Reply 24 of 75
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

yes, balance is necessary. My wife and I have a policy NEVER to use our iPhones when we are at dinner/lunch.  We do check if its a phone call, since it might be an emergency.  But no texting, emails, ect.   Its ridiculous when we see families at a nice restaurant (or any restaurant) all playing with their phones instead of you know TALKING to each other!

Even worse is when you see a dating couple spending more time texting their friends than talking to each other. 

Quote:

I get what you're saying. And there is indeed 'nothing better' than to enjoy life, free and disconnected while outdoors. I'm a cyclist, and while enjoying nature for the entire day on my bike I love that I have my music with me, listening when I want. Taking a photo when I see 'opportunity'.

I spite of that, I still get your point.

Some of my best memories have been having lunch with my Mom (now deceased) by a trickling brook in the desert southwest at the end of a trail and sitting on a rock overlooking a lake with a waterfall on the distant shore. In the moments of silence, the wind whispers through the trees or the birds sing.  That said, it is time to go outside and take my dog for a walk in the snow!

• Reply 25 of 75
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    daven wrote: »
    Even worse is when you see a dating couple spending more time texting their friends than talking to each other.

That is so sad to see, every time. 
    Some of my best memories have been having lunch with my Mom (now deceased) by a trickling brook in the desert southwest at the end of a trail and sitting on a rock overlooking a lake with a waterfall on the distant shore. In the moments of silence, the wind whispers through the trees or the birds sing.

Moments like those it's good to have the memory, instead of a photo. Have you seen Six Feet Under? In the closing episode, the deceased Nate says to his sister Claire, wanting to take a picture of her loved ones she'll leave behind while moving to NYC, "you can't take a picture; it's already gone". Which I thought was a brilliant line.
    That said, it is time to go outside and take my dog for a walk in the snow!

Careful now, you're gonna make TS envious.
  • Reply 26 of 75
    Quote:

Whatever the future may hold, I can't imagine life without some sort of personal device, always with me. Be that a smartphone, I think we should be very grateful for Apple to have such eye for detail, class, taste and refinement. Steve, if this was your doing, thank you. I certainly do not want to think about what the future would be with a smartphone from any other company than the one you created. Yes, thank you.

Agreed, Phil.

I think SJ's greatest contribution to tech was "corralling" HW & SW engineers into producing great HW & SW. One only has to look at MS  (Windows & Office) and Google (Ads & lack of privacy) to see how awful it might have been.

Best.

• Reply 27 of 75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveN View Post

Some of my best memories have been having lunch with my Mom (now deceased) by a trickling brook in the desert southwest at the end of a trail and sitting on a rock overlooking a lake with a waterfall on the distant shore. In the moments of silence, the wind whispers through the trees or the birds sing.  That said, it is time to go outside and take my dog for a walk in the snow!

Nice! :)

• Reply 28 of 75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That's certainly a clear sign. Their study doesn't take into account different types of users for various "smartphones." In fact, it makes no distinction between a lower-end smartphone (aka: The *NEW* feature phone) which tend to be smaller than 4.5" and higher-end smartphones which tend to be 4.5" or higher. This means the iPhone's usage is potentially getting aggregated with many phones that it really shouldn't be compared with. This isn't an iPhone v Android bias, as I don't think the S3/S4, HTC One/Max, etc. should be compared to these 21st-century feature phones, either.

I would wager they have iPhone v Android data so why not also separate that out in this study, as well as do a sub-4.5" Android data usage v 4.5" and up Android data usage comparison.

We don't even know if they are counting phablets or even tablets in this comparison since those still tend to use "phone" apps.

I can't believe these companies are staffed by dozens or hundreds of people that get paid well for this sort of crap work.

Your complaint doesn't make any sense.  The study is simply about screen size and its relation to data consumption.  The iPhone has a small screen, so it gets lumped in with the rest of the small screens.  Although you're probably right that a small-screened Android device is likely low-end and likely gets less usage, that doesn't make the study faulty.  I think that all you should take away from this is that people are more likely to consume information on a larger screen, regardless of what that screen is attached to.  I think it's yet another indicator that there is a market for a larger iPhone, but that dead horse has already been sufficiently beaten.

• Reply 29 of 75
    Your complaint doesn't make any sense.  The study is simply about screen size and its relation to data consumption.  The iPhone has a small screen, so it gets lumped in with the rest of the small screens.  Although you're probably right that a small-screened Android device is likely low-end and likely gets less usage, that doesn't make the study faulty.  I think that all you should take away from this is that people are more likely to consume information on a larger screen, regardless of what that screen is attached to.  I think it's yet another indicator that there is a market for a larger iPhone, but that dead horse has already been sufficiently beaten.

So of the 4500 handset used if half were 4.5" or larger and half were below 4.5" you think that makes for a fair and even test?

So we have 2250 that have to higher-end Android smartphones likely with at least version 4.0 compared to a bunch of feature phones which could easily be using version 2.3 and you think that makes it a fair test to say that size is the differentiating factor?

Of those 2250 sub 4.5" handsets lets split the number again and say that half were iPhones and half we Android. Now you have only 1125 iPhone out of the entire 4500 handset tested and quite possibly none of those 1125 handsets tested using Android 4.0 or higher, having modern HW, or using any significant data. That could mean the iPhone in it's lowly 3.5" and 4" sizes could have double the data usage and yet you think it's fair that this suggests that it's the screen size that allows more data usage, not any other aspect of the device?

I didn't even get into phablets or tablets using phone apps for this comparison. It's simply flawed to the core based on the narrow level of data they were willing to present and anyone that says this proves those with larger displays will absolutely use more data than devices with smaller displays without considering the UI, apps, ecosystem, ease-of-use, HW, etc. are being irrational.
  • Reply 30 of 75
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Where I live it seems predominantly Android.

By the way there's a pretty cool interactive map showing where Android, iOS, Blackberry and "other" mobile devices are in use based on Twitter logs. Be sure to turn off one tab before activating another or you don't see much change. Too, zooming in on a city like Atlanta or Chicago shows iOS use most pronounced in the city cores while Android seems in higher use in the suburbs and other surrounding areas.

https://www.mapbox.com/labs/twitter-gnip/brands/#

Another way to look at that is people in the cities have too much time on their hands verses the people in the suburbs and country are actaully doing real work verse playing on their phones. Also notice lots of activities around major freeways, thus people tweeting and driving, good driving habits there.

• Reply 31 of 75
    maestro64 wrote: »
    Another way to look at that is people in the cities have too much time on their hands verses the people in the suburbs and country are actaully doing real work verse playing on their phones. Also notice lots of activities around major freeways, thus people tweeting and driving, good driving habits there.

I think you make too false assumptions there.

The first is that people in cities aren't doing real work as opposed to the suburbs or countryside, but let's be honest about cities v countryside in terms of tower density and data rates. This means people in cities can likely use high-speed internet pretty much everywhere they are. If you're in a very large city it could be on a train, bus or cab or waiting in the countless and excessive lines that are a part of congested living all while having a job where you do "real work" that doesn't allow you to use your phone. Now it's possible that the lower density places can mean that you can more bandwidth and that higher density places get worse bandwidth (and higher echo requests) but that's not typically what happens.

The second is carpooling, the aforementioned public transportation that can take the highway, and traffic jams that can allow passengers in a private vehicle, passengers on a bus, or a driver sitting in traffic, respectively, to use their device. Now the last one is still unsafe and illegal (at least here in CA) but I wouldn't call it as bad a habit as texting whilst driving (i,e: foot on the gas pedal/in motion) as opposed to being behind the wheel of a stationary vehicle.
  • Reply 32 of 75

So Apple's over all phone market share in US =  42% of the smart phone x  60% smart phone penetration is 25.2%....

Given that AT&T CEO's comment about smart phone to be "the remote control of our lives" and China Mobile Chairman's ambition of "100% conversion from feature phones to smart phones customer base", I am wondering why anybody would say smart phone market is saturated....actually lots of room for growth.

• Reply 33 of 75
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

But it's an arbitrary divide. It's like saying people over 5'5" are more likely to own houses and cars and have a job. Little do we know the study includes children under 5' 5". That data skews the data for the <5'5" adults.
  • Reply 34 of 75
    Quote:

So of the 4500 handset used if half were 4.5" or larger and half were below 4.5" you think that makes for a fair and even test?

So we have 2250 that have to higher-end Android smartphones likely with at least version 4.0 compared to a bunch of feature phones which could easily be using version 2.3 and you think that makes it a fair test to say that size is the differentiating factor?

Of those 2250 sub 4.5" handsets lets split the number again and say that half were iPhones and half we Android. Now you have only 1125 iPhone out of the entire 4500 handset tested and quite possibly none of those 1125 handsets tested using Android 4.0 or higher, having modern HW, or using any significant data. That could mean the iPhone in it's lowly 3.5" and 4" sizes could have double the data usage and yet you think it's fair that this suggests that it's the screen size that allows more data usage, not any other aspect of the device?

I didn't even get into phablets or tablets using phone apps for this comparison. It's simply flawed to the core based on the narrow level of data they were willing to present and anyone that says this proves those with larger displays will absolutely use more data than devices with smaller displays without considering the UI, apps, ecosystem, ease-of-use, HW, etc. are being irrational.

Yes, I think it's entirely fair.  Just because a phone is running Gingerbread doesn't mean it can't connect to the internet.  A slow phone still has access to every service as a fast phone.  You're unhappy with the results because you don't think it gives favor to the iPhone in its presentation of data, not because there was a flaw in their methods.  I agree with you that they could have provided more detailed data, but I don't think that there is anything false or misleading in the results they showed.  The data are what the data are.  Other studies could be done to demonstrate the difference that other aspects have on data consumption.

• Reply 35 of 75
    Yes, I think it's entirely fair.  Just because a phone is running Gingerbread doesn't mean it can't connect to the internet.  A slow phone still has access to every service as a fast phone.  You're unhappy with the results because you don't think it gives favor to the iPhone in its presentation of data, not because there was a flaw in their methods.  I agree with you that they could have provided more detailed data, but I don't think that there is anything false or misleading in the results they showed.  The data are what the data are.  Other studies could be done to demonstrate the difference that other aspects have on data consumption.

1) Just because someone is 10yo doesn't mean you don't have a high-paying job and will millions of dollars saved and yet there aren't a lot of 10yos who fit that build.

2) You got me¡ I only care about data that favours Apple which is why I said I don't the number from NPD in this article that favour Apple.
  • Reply 36 of 75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

But it's an arbitrary divide. It's like saying people over 5'5" are more likely to own houses and cars and have a job. Little do we know the study includes children under 5' 5". That data skews the data for the <5'5" adults.

Now this complaint could be valid though I don't think your analogy is applicable because that study would be flawed for including a bad sample, not using a bad dividing line.  Ideally there would be a reason for choosing a separation point.  They could use the average size of a phone display as a good divider.  I don't know what that size is or whether the study considered that.

• Reply 37 of 75
    Quote:

Just because someone is 10yo doesn't mean you don't have a high-paying job and will millions of dollars saved and yet there aren't a lot of 10yos who fit that build.

I don't see where you're going with that.

• Reply 38 of 75
    I don't see where you're going with that.

Exactly! But I can only lead a horse to water, I can't make it drink.
  • Reply 39 of 75
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Exactly! But I can only lead a horse to water, I can't make it drink.

Instead of using sarcasm you could explain your unclear statement.
  • Reply 40 of 75
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member

Yep...Apple is doomed and Tim Cook needs to be fired!