Apple's Cook hands out first China Mobile iPhones at launch event [ux2]

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Their anti-Apple agenda is puzzling. It’s perhaps because a substantial portion of their readership (as evidenced by a typical comments section) is anti-Apple too. Many of them come through as teeth-gnashers who would love to own, but can’t afford, Apple products.

Sadly, the NYT has become quite the rag when it comes to tech reporting. No wonder Pogue fled. (As did Mossberg from WSJ).
    Yeah I don't get it. This clearly was a hit piece with no context on why there might not be long lines outside stores.
  • Reply 42 of 56
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I t might just me you can't thumbs up, I get a lot of the same comment when folks try ... I must be blackballed ... :D

philboogie wrote: »

Beat me to it! Although if we flag him, maybe he can get more thumb ups.
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I can't think of a particular reason that the NYT would be anti-Apple tho. There may not be any city on earth with a higher concentration of iDevice users than New York.

Mike daisy. Page views. NYT want to be in the news itself.
  • Reply 43 of 56
    jungmark wrote: »
    Mike daisy.

The world would be better off with him off it.
  • Reply 44 of 56
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Click-bait is maybe the obvious answer. After all, we've all read it, and we're discussing it, aren't we?

As to 'concentration' of iPhones in NYC, do you have any data? Not some random web link that's the result of a Google search, but one that puts into context NYC data vis-a-vis other US metros?

Of course i do. . .
    https://www.mapbox.com/labs/twitter-gnip/brands/#

Search Los Angeles. Click just the tabs for Android and iOS as no others would be necessary. Take a look at blue dots compared to red. Do the same with any other large city you wish. Then do the same with New York. I can't find one more red.
  • Reply 45 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Of course i do. . .

https://www.mapbox.com/labs/twitter-gnip/brands/#

Search Los Angeles. Click just the tabs for Android and iOS as no others would be necessary. Take a look at blue dots compared to red. Do the same with any other large city you wish. Then do the same with New York. I can't find one more red.

Useless data, as expected. Twitter use tells us zilch, unless you can provide data that tells us that it is representative of smartphone ownership patterns.

• Reply 46 of 56
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Useless data, as expected. Twitter use tells us zilch, unless you can provide data that tells us that it is representative of smartphone ownership patterns.

I expected no less of a response.
  • Reply 47 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

I wish there was more info about the goings-on. (Wish some one was doing a live stream, or something)

Yes I can't think of anything more interesting than watching online people buy phones.

• Reply 48 of 56
    gatorguy wrote: »

In Androids' defence, the human eye sees red before blue.

Source:
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/basics.htm
    In this image, we have a big red diamond in the middle. It is surrounded by blue-gray. The big red rectangle is the obvious, positive space. The blue-gray around it is called negative space.

Red jumps out at you, especially when put in front of blue. Red does that.

• Reply 49 of 56
    Stores closed. For first day. Apple stock down 1%. When you reflect on the hype, and the presence of Cook, Shiller, and Xi, it is hard to be optimistic about the first day.
    Maybe tomorrow will be better when it is not a work day.
    Blaming the NYT and WSJ does not prove anything to me. There are. Many other witnesses on the ground.
  • Reply 50 of 56
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    flabingo wrote: »
    Stores closed. For first day. Apple stock down 1%. When you reflect on the hype, and the presence of Cook, Shiller, and Xi, it is hard to be optimistic about the first day.
    Blaming the NYT and WSJ does not prove anything to me. There are. Many other witnesses on the ground.

Concern troll! You do realize the iPhone 5/5S has been in China before today. There are reservations as well. And there are many more China Mobile stores selling it.
  • Reply 51 of 56
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I can't think of a particular reason that the NYT would be anti-Apple tho. There may not be any city on earth with a higher concentration of iDevice users than New York.

Since when does the real world have anything to do with journalistic bias?  Likely someone with a vested interest in an Apple competitor sits somewhere higher up the food chain from NYT.

• Reply 52 of 56
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flabingo View Post

Fairly crowded does not sound good. But since Cook and the press is there, it would figure to be controlled.

Those in the store would definitely be controlled.

The China Gov will ensure their store is orderly.  8-)

• Reply 53 of 56
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flabingo View Post

I'm sure the China Gov would not let you in their store; so don't fret it they'll sell you an iPhone at a big price on a side street.

• Reply 54 of 56
    Android is winning! It's so exciting, you guys! Can't wait to get to a world without Apple. Think how great that would be! Our parents and women would ask us for help with technology again! We geeks can feel important once more! It will be glorious!
  • Reply 55 of 56
    97$ per month? That makes 2,300$ in two years! Absurd....